Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.X battery capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Roadster Sport 2012 from Tesla in Norway early 2013.We also signed a "Roadster Battery Replacement Program Agreement" at the time. After years of discussions with Tesla here I have just had the battery replaced. I have been told that the n
Ew battery is a 2.X battery with specification somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0. The technician who did the replacement would not/was not allowed to say more than that. Do anyone have any more info on a 2.X battery?

I got a REFURB battery in Nov of 2018. It wasn't a "NEW" battery and the range is nowhere NEAR a new 2.0 or 3.0 battery.... The CAC started at 159 which is a new 2.0 battery pack... but dropped to 135 within a few months....

You mileage may very... just my experience on battery replacement... At least they HAD a battery and was able to replace my damaged one I'm still holding at about 135ish CAC two years into the replacement.

Look on the part number of your battery and see if it says REFURBISHED / REMANUFACTURED

I bought a Roadster Sport 2012 from Tesla in Norway early 2013.We also signed a "Roadster Battery Replacement Program Agreement" at the time. After years of discussions with Tesla here I have just had the battery replaced. I have been told that the n
Ew battery is a 2.X battery with specification somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0. The technician who did the replacement would not/was not allowed to say more than that. Do anyone have any more info on a 2.X battery?

What's your CAC and ideal range on a standard charge?

Reactions: markwj
I have a replacement contract from my purchase in 2011. It requires execution any time out to 10 years. I recently had to invoke it. Tesla told me that they are currently building new 2.x batteries at a rate of about 6 per month. Hand-built and new components, not remanufactured/refurb. They will have at least the capacity of the original. They also said they are still working on the second version of the 3.0 battery. No timeline on competing development since they admit they expected to have it a year ago. They told me that there is a chance that if they come out with 3.0, they might stop the 2.x manufacturing, and if so, we'd get a 3.0 for the replacement. However, they won't let me choose which battery I want right now. My only option would be to wait until the 10 year mark (last time I can execute contract) and execute it then to get me closer to the 3.0 production (if it ever comes to completion). However, since my car is currently not chargeable/usable, I sort of have to throw down on it now. Still, given the limited production, they told me that I am going to have to wait 8-12 months for mine to be manufactured...

I have a replacement contract from my purchase in 2011. It requires execution any time out to 10 years. I recently had to invoke it. Tesla told me that they are currently building new 2.x batteries at a rate of about 6 per month. Hand-built and new components, not remanufactured/refurb. They will have at least the capacity of the original. They also said they are still working on the second version of the 3.0 battery. No timeline on competing development since they admit they expected to have it a year ago. They told me that there is a chance that if they come out with 3.0, they might stop the 2.x manufacturing, and if so, we'd get a 3.0 for the replacement. However, they won't let me choose which battery I want right now. My only option would be to wait until the 10 year mark (last time I can execute contract) and execute it then to get me closer to the 3.0 production (if it ever comes to completion). However, since my car is currently not chargeable/usable, I sort of have to throw down on it now. Still, given the limited production, they told me that I am going to have to wait 8-12 months for mine to be manufactured...

Thank you
The old battery was still OK. The reason for invoking the battery replacement agree was that I intend to sell the car in the spring and wanted to ensure it had a new battery with the associated guarantee already install in time. Enclosed is a photo of the label on the new battery. I also have a 30amp original Tesla charger which we have never used. Do you know if there exist an adaptor to enable the car to be charged from a Tesla charging station?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201207-181748_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207-181748_Gallery.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20201207-190136_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207-190136_Gallery.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20201207-190149_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207-190149_Gallery.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 87
This sounds suspicious. First I have never heard of a 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5 battery as the EES I believe is the same across all Roadsters. There are a few 3.0 packs out there but Tesla only made them for about a year and then stopped. So you likely got a refurbished battery if your CAC is less than 180 or possibly a 3.0 if your CAC is above 210. I saw your second post and you likely just received a refurbished standard battery. As for an adapter I used the Henry Sharp CAN SR but not sure if you have the same plug in the the EU.

If the 3.0 battery is still going to cost about $30K, can you hold off on your contracted battery replacement to the 10-year mark, hope to get a 3.0 and maybe just get a cheap lease on a Bolt in the meantime? Would just like you to maximize the potential value of your prepaid replacement if possible.

Do you know if there exist an adaptor to enable the car to be charged from a Tesla charging station?
Just to be clear, if you are referring to the Tesla Supercharger stations, then the answer is no, it is not possible for anyone to make an adapter so that the Roadster can use them because they require authorization using strong cryptographic methods. Tesla could make such an adapter (one ex-employee prototyped doing this), but Tesla does not want it to be done. However, as @dhrivnak mentioned, @hcsharp's CAN SR adapter allows us in the US to use Tesla Destination Chargers at hotels, for example.

This sounds suspicious. First I have never heard of a 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5 battery as the EES I believe is the same across all Roadsters.

The label on the battery of my 2.5S reads "ASY, ESS 2.0 -REMANUFACTURED". It was delivered by Tesla to the previous owner in the spring of 2019 after the original battery was bricked during storage. The version numbering of the batteries appears not to follow the version numbering of the cars and, based on what you say, perhaps this numbering is something they started doing recently?

Do you know if there exist an adaptor to enable the car to be charged from a Tesla charging station?
I've been building a CAN EU adapter to enable drivers in Europe, Australia, and HK to charge their Roadsters from common Type 2 charging stations using one phase. Although most of those stations are 3-phase, the Roadster can only charge from single phase.

What @slcasner said above is true about supercharging. The Roadster can only charge from AC sources regardless of whether the adapter "fits". The only exception would be if you have an aftermarket CHAdeMO kit installed.

Reactions: DanielFriederich
Thank you
The old battery was still OK. The reason for invoking the battery replacement agree was that I intend to sell the car in the spring and wanted to ensure it had a new battery with the associated guarantee already install in time. Enclosed is a photo of the label on the new battery. I also have a 30amp original Tesla charger which we have never used. Do you know if there exist an adaptor to enable the car to be charged from a Tesla charging station?

Can you tap a few times (6 to 10) on any unused area of the touchscreen in the car. It will ask for a code, so enter 1050. Then go to the ESS screen and send us a screenshot? That will tell us what battery they gave you, and what its health looks like.

Reactions: eHorses