TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2.x TPMS - file your complaint and lets get it recalled.

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by MLAUTO, Oct 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

With all the problems people are having with the tire pressure monitoring system on the 2.x Roadster, it's about time that Tesla is forced to do something about it. I'm sure most of you under warranty have never considered filing a complaint with the NHTSA, but soon all your warranties will be expired. For the rest of us that are tired of fixing it again and again, or just dismissing the warning, here is your chance to do something about it. The NHTSA mandated that the TPMS system is required equipment, and they need to know that Tesla's decision to change from the reliable BERU system in the 1.5 to their own Chinese made junk in the 2.x has potentially put everyone at risk.

Take a few minutes and file a complaint if you have ever had problems with the TPMS in your car.

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I had a problem the first year and they fixed it under warranty. They first replaced, and then moved the antenna. Since then (5 years, 46000 miles later) I've never had a problem. It doesn't sound like I have any basis for filing a complaint. How long are they required to warranty the TPMS system?

What I really want is a chance to buy or rent their programming tool.

3. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Supporting Member

The programming tool or a substitute would be great. I am about to change tires for the winter and will need to go to SC to reset the TPMS on my winter tire....
    Or deal with the annoying warning screen

4. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

I was shocked when Tesla gave me the quote to replace 4 TPMS (3 of which had a dead battery, 4th was to prevent having to replace it at a later date), so I ended up having Dietsch Werks replace them with some Lotus sensors, but they never synced to the VDS so I lived with the warning for a year before ultimately paying Tesla to sync them with their tool.

Despite all of that, this isn't something i'd file a complaint about. I'm more upset about the peeling headlights that they never fully resolved. In warranty vehicles got upgraded to the Xenon headlights, but I was out of warranty. I then found that even the Xenon headlights suffer from peeling.

5. MileHighMotoring

@jbadger - What was the cost to have Tesla sync your new TMPS sensors?

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I'd be happy with the technical specs. Presumably all the tool is doing is reading the serial numbers, then sending them to the TPMS module.

7. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

@MileHighMotoring it was between $800-1000 for parts and labor. Dietsch Werks did it for about $300-400 IIRC.

8. SpykeDaddy

SpykeDaddy Member

My dealership apparently had a tech who was one of the "original" to work on Roadsters back in California and my repeated TPMS issues were solved, not by replacing the sensors, but moving the antenna. To be frank, they said it's a bit "touch and go" on getting the right location in the car and warned me it might take a few shots before it's resolved. They nailed it on the first try.

9. candersoh

candersoh Baltonomous Farms

hi- would your tech be willing to share this information with my tech? i'm in need to replace mine but perhaps it's more about moving the antenna? thx, chris

10. gregd

gregd Active Member

Hard to believe it's the antenna, but if so, why not hook the receiver to a splitter and run a pair of short cables out to pickups by each wheel? For the 70cm band (433-ish mhz), a 1/4 wave antenna is about 6.5" in length. Peel back the shield on some coax 6.5 inches, leaving the insulated center conductor sticking out the same, and cover the whole thing with heat shrink tubing. Then tie-wrap it closer to the wheel. Something like that?

11. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

I've lost track of where my TPMS devices are. What I'd like to do is put a 50 ohm resistor in series with the speaker to muffle the random Federal assault. Or just attach some thick padding over the speaker grille. Does TPMS use the radio speaker?
    --