Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 year/25k service cost and necessity??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what Tesla charges for the 2 yr/25k service? Not sure if it varies by region (I'm in NY). The tech doesn't seem to want to answer me. I read somewhere it's $450, which isn't bad at all if it included things that were actually important/necessary. I had a Maserati a few years ago and they charge THOUSANDS. Jaguar, my previous car, wasn't much better...but it's not like an ICE car that has thousands of moving parts in the engine to worry about, so I'm wondering if it's even worth doing.

I believe it's only a few things like flush brake lines (I rarely ever use the brakes) and tire rotation (I can do that myself, or have it done for a few $). The car is going on 2 years old, but it only has 17k miles.

I've read posts on here of quite a few ppl going at least 50k miles before any such service appt, and some simply haven't done any at all (self maintenance). Basically, what are the most important things to worry about as far as maintenance at 2 yrs??

TIA!

Reactions: toolman335
My car just turned two in August. I changed the cabin air filters. Wiper blades were still fine. I rotate the tires myself too. I don't plan to take it in for service at this point. So my two year service cost around $50 for the cost of the two cabin air filters. (By the way, I have 46k miles on the car).

• Helpful
Reactions: Siciliano
Thanks guys. I have an Oct 5th svc appt for excessive motor whine (there's separate thread for that), but I figured if it's worth it I would just get the 2yr svc at the same time and kill 2 birds w/1 stone...but it seems my suspicions that it's not worth the cost are true.

This is usually the case with these sort of maintenances, and like I said, it's especially egregious with luxury cars. IIRC Maserati was asking $4500 for 30k maintenance svc. They're out of their minds.

I don't mind DIY at all, if it's within reason. Stuff like changing air filters and tire rotations are simple enough...

I had the 2 yr service done earlier this year. Total cost was $343.25. Breakdown was as follows:
Wipers - $55.75 ($46 Parts / $9.75 Labor)
Cabin Filters - $73 ($34 Parts / $39 Labor)
Brake fluid check - $19.50 Labor
Brake caliper pad slides - Cleaning and Lubrication - $195 Labor

They checked my tire tread depth and said it was fine, so didn't rotate the tires. Not sure if they would have charged for that since they have to take the wheels off to do the brake caliper service anyway.

I thought it was pretty reasonable. The labor rate is $195/hour so they are billing pretty small increments for labor (3 minutes for the wiper change)

Brake fluid is just as much time as it is usage. Brake fluid is constantly absorbing water through the vent hole in the master cylinder, which is why it will need changing at some point. Some like to test it to see if they can squeeze more time out of it, but I do it every 2 years no matter because it's easy to do while you are rotating tires if you have a brake bleeder.

And the less you use your brakes, the more you will need the brakes cleaned and lubricated.

I'm surprised the 3/Y have such a long service interval with the air conditioning, 6 years!

As for brakes, I feel it's a good idea to scrub the pads by doing a couple of aggressive stops from 50 mph every couple of weeks or so. Obviously, don't do this with traffic around.

helpful tips on the brakes chaps! i got the car new in march (performance withthe upgrades) and have been going to work normally. ive used the brakes only a handful of times ( like less than 15) and even LESS aggressive stops (3?) i just got real good with using the regen feature. i need to un-program myself and get on the brake pedal more.

I find it kinda funny that I had them flush the brake lines on the wife's 2010 Insight today. First time in 10 years. (It was having all sorts of issues this morning, failed TMPS sensor, hanging calipers, and a broken belt in a rear tire. Yes, Tesla's aren't the only car whose tires are destroyed by potholes).

Anyway my Model 3 turned two on 9/7 with 40k miles. During the two years, its been to the service center twice. Once for an alignment that they decided not to do due to excessive tire wear. Thry also snuck the dual motor badge on. I had Bridgestone do the new tires and alignment. The other time for the v2.5 computer upgrade and charge port pin recall. I had them toss in an air filter at the same time. Wipers where replaced by Safelight when the windshield took a rock.

Other than drinking wiper fluid like a drunken sailor, it really doesn't need much. If the car notifies me I need something only the service center can provide I will take it in.

• Helpful
Yeah I cancelled the 2yr svc...thanks for the insight guys. I'm STILL waiting on whether or not they will accept fixing the motor whine. They're still reviewing the sound file I sent. I'm very stubborn and persistent, so they had better just accept it the first time.

I doubt I even need a tire rotation yet, the tread seems brand new on all tires. The wipers are perfectly fine as well. Maybe around 25k miles I'll change the cabin filters.

Now that I think of it, remembering back, my first Jaguar service was completely free. The first service and first oil change is at 20k miles on the newer Jags. I remember being anxious because I've never gone that long without an oil change, especially with a brand new car...but I guess times have changed.

Now I will go at least 100k miles before an oil change... :p