Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Year Checkup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried searching but came up blank (well, no easy find - help willingly accepted!)...

My M3P is just on 2 years old - I know Tesla say there is no servicing requirement, but I'm also aware they recommend a check of the brakes and a few other bits at 2 years.

So my question is, have other forum members had Tesla run these checks for them? If so, how much was it and how did you book the service call?

Is it just in the app and put 'other' with a written note on the request?

I paid Tesla (mobile engineer) to give my car a once over. Just booked it like a normal service in the app.

They checked the brake fluid (was fine), supplied new wipers (not fitted, didn't need replacing, they're sat in my boot) and changed the two filters in the car. The filters weren't particularly dirty, but I haven't done much mileage, I got him to change them because he was there and it's a bit of a fiddly job.

Of all of it's probably only really the filters that might need changing, maybe brake inspection if you've done a fair amount of miles.

The filters you can do yourself if you follow the videos posted on YouTube. They can be purchased from the Tesla website.
Any garage should be able to remove and clean the brake pads & pins and check your brake fluid. Just remember to take your jack pucks in case the garage doesn’t have their own.

The filters you can do yourself if you follow the videos posted on YouTube. They can be purchased from the Tesla website.
Any garage should be able to remove and clean the brake pads & pins and check your brake fluid. Just remember to take your jack pucks in case the garage doesn’t have their own.
I've been considering doing the filters change myself, but with a bad back and not being a contortionist it may end up being a frustrating experience. Have you done it and should I be concerned?

I definitely recommend a brake service every couple years. Keep an eye on the condition of your discs. I don't think mine had been assembled with any brake grease. When I came to do a brake service there was no way those pins were shifting. I belted them with a big hammer and was starting to deform the ends before I decided that it would be a SC job! My discs get very little use and some surface corrosion is inevitable. The pads were not meeting the disc surface evenly so unwiped sections of the discs were starting to form. I've switched to reduced regen (not an option on newer cars) and hopefully the cosmetic appearance will improve now that everything is moving as it should.

Tried searching but came up blank (well, no easy find - help willingly accepted!)...

My M3P is just on 2 years old - I know Tesla say there is no servicing requirement, but I'm also aware they recommend a check of the brakes and a few other bits at 2 years.

So my question is, have other forum members had Tesla run these checks for them? If so, how much was it and how did you book the service call?

Is it just in the app and put 'other' with a written note on the request?

I got this 2 year check done in January for my Model 3 at the Tesla service centre in Bristol. Booked it via the app with a note to explain what I wanted. It cost me £159. Pretty straightforward, I did it for peace of mind really, can’t harm to have the car checked over.

Reactions: spooksman
Have arranged a mobile 2 year check, charged 69.60. Also said they are installing O-ring on trunk power strut for free as part of warranty. Very simple process to arrange and pleased that this is the only service I need before my lease ends and it cost just £70 for 3 years! Touchwood. God, I paid £2000 every year when I went for services with Rangerovers and BMWs.

Last edited:
Have arranged a mobile 2 year check, charged 69.60. Also said they are installing O-ring on trunk power strut for free as part of warranty. Very simple process to arrange and pleased that this is the only service I need before my lease ends and it cost just £70 for 3 years! Touchwood. God, I paid £2000 every year when I went for servicing both with Rangerovers and BMWs.
what did the £69.60 cover?

I literally booked a 2 year service last week. Same thing as others, in the app, asked for a service and brake clean & lubricate.

They then quoted me a job for check brake fluid, change air filter & tyre rotation...plus the standard o-ring check and replace.

Sent them a message saying I wanted a brake service and not a tyre rotation, new quote £138.90

The best part is they are doing it with a ranger so I don't even have to leave the house. Worth it for that alone.

I did consider finding a local garage to do it for me but nobody round here seems too confident in touching them and after my experience a few days ago getting the tracking done I think id rather Tesla do it. Plus I expect they can take care of any warranty work they find too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adopado and spdpsba
I literally booked a 2 year service last week. Same thing as others, in the app, asked for a service and brake clean & lubricate.

They then quoted me a job for check brake fluid, change air filter & tyre rotation...plus the standard o-ring check and replace.

Sent them a message saying I wanted a brake service and not a tyre rotation, new quote £138.90

The best part is they are doing it with a ranger so I don't even have to leave the house. Worth it for that alone.

I did consider finding a local garage to do it for me but nobody round here seems too confident in touching them and after my experience a few days ago getting the tracking done I think id rather Tesla do it. Plus I expect they can take care of any warranty work they find too.
Yes that is the best part - no need to leave the car and wait or someone to pick up etc.,

And do you have the break down of how much they charged for the brake service?

Anyone who has a lease with maintanence, service and tyre changes (especially NHS SS scheme) can skip that bit as part of the deal and save another 10-20 pounds monthly. If you are going for a 3 year or 4 year lease - Tesla does most of what you need during that time period for 70-100 pounds.

Last edited:

If they do change the filters and do the brake service they are surely losing money at that price?