Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 year maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
It's going to be 2 years soon ... looks like I should be signing up to do these checks

Cabin Air Filter
Your Tesla is equipped with an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing your cabin air filter every 2 years.

Tire Rotation, Balance and Wheel Alignment
Tesla recommends rotating your tires every 6,250 miles or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in or greater, whichever comes first.

Brake Fluid Test
Tesla recommends testing brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.

This is a weird one on Tesla's maintenance schedule:

Air Conditioning Service
An air conditioning service replaces the desiccant to help the longevity and efficiency of the air conditioning system. Tesla recommends an air conditioning service every 2 years for Model S, every 4 years for Model X and Model Y and every 6 years for Model 3.

I have never heard of opening up a perfectly good A/C system to replace the desiccant. You always replace desiccant/dryer if you open the system for any reason, but if the system remains pressurized and never opened, there's no way for more moisture to get into the system to warrant replacing the desiccant.

All I did was to list Tesla's recommendations (via the link above) ... suggestions welcome :)
I would replace cabin filter; I would LOOK at the tires carefully at least twice a year, assuming that (unlike me) you are not swapping them out twice a year for summer/winter; if they look a little different in terms of wear and measure a little different, rotate; if they look/measure a lot different rotate and align. I change brake fluid every year because moisture accumulates and injures the brake parts. Brake flush cheap, calipers expensive. Balancing a wheel is usually something you do ONCE.

I would replace cabin filter; I would LOOK at the tires carefully at least twice a year, assuming that (unlike me) you are not swapping them out twice a year for summer/winter; if they look a little different in terms of wear and measure a little different, rotate; if they look/measure a lot different rotate and align. I change brake fluid every year because moisture accumulates and injures the brake parts. Brake flush cheap, calipers expensive. Balancing a wheel is usually something you do ONCE.

Thanks. I'm not swapping tires 2x/year and also don't drive a whole lot (9k in 2 years) :)

Once as in the first time and never again (re: wheel balancing)?

If you’ve ever owned a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette or a number of other high performance cars then the brake fluid flush is considered mandatory every 2 or 3 years. If you’ve ever tracked you’re car you should flush brakes annually at a minimum.

heat cycling is the major cause, it causes both chemical changes to the fluid and condensation within the brake system as moisture trapped in the system is evaporated then subsequently condensed causing contamination and corrosion. Don’t believe me, just look at the visual difference between the old fluid and the new when it’s flushed.

Reactions: Gettys84
I don't know what Tesla charges for the brake fluid flush, but if you are the DIY type you can do it very easily by yourself with the Motive Products pressure bleeder kit and their catch bottle for a total cost of $80 plus the cost of 2-3 quarts of your favorite DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 brake fluid. I did mine a few months ago (I plan on doing it every 2 years) and have used the Motive Products kit on 2 other vehicles as well. It's amazing and I wish I had learned about it years ago.

Motive Products Power Bleeder $65 0108 - Late Model GM Power Bleeder

Motive Products Catch Bottle $14 1810 Catch Bottle - Single

I don't know what Tesla charges for the brake fluid flush, but if you are the DIY type you can do it very easily by yourself with the Motive Products pressure bleeder kit and their catch bottle for a total cost of $80 plus the cost of 2-3 quarts of your favorite DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 brake fluid. I did mine a few months ago (I plan on doing it every 2 years) and have used the Motive Products kit on 2 other vehicles as well. It's amazing and I wish I had learned about it years ago.

Motive Products Power Bleeder $65 0108 - Late Model GM Power Bleeder

Motive Products Catch Bottle $14 1810 Catch Bottle - Single

Exactly my Plan! Agreed! I’m doing this AND the HVAC clean and double filter change to save a couple hun.

Ski

Don't think I've every checked brake fluid for contamination on any car I've owned. Never had an issue with brakes either
Nothing to be proud about here.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, its boiling temp goes down with moisture absorbed and metal parts get corrosion. Overheated fluid develops air gaps which will reduce inline pressure alot reducing breaking power at the same time.

Just made an appt with Tesla. The sent me a quote for $19.50 to check the break fluid. I'll take it in.

The last time I asked Tesla for pricing they quoted me $69 to inspect the brake fluid, $199 to replace it. $19.50 seems very low but if they are willing to do it for that price let them go for it.

I changed out the cabin air filter last month and Tesla charged me $74.00 for parts and labor.