Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 year maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last time I asked Tesla for pricing they quoted me $69 to inspect the brake fluid, $199 to replace it. $19.50 seems very low but if they are willing to do it for that price let them go for it.

I changed out the cabin air filter last month and Tesla charged me $74.00 for parts and labor.

It's honestly bizarre how often I see wildly different pricing for the same service cited by different Tesla owners..... given Tesla owns ALL the service centers it should be (rougly) the same everywhere....and I've seen it for multiple different services too.... (take tire rotations which I've seen quoted everywhere from $0.00 up to like $200)

If you’ve ever owned a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette or a number of other high performance cars then the brake fluid flush is considered mandatory every 2 or 3 years. If you’ve ever tracked you’re car you should flush brakes annually at a minimum.

heat cycling is the major cause, it causes both chemical changes to the fluid and condensation within the brake system as moisture trapped in the system is evaporated then subsequently condensed causing contamination and corrosion. Don’t believe me, just look at the visual difference between the old fluid and the new when it’s flushed.

so if you're not tracking or mainly using regen you're good?

It's honestly bizarre how often I see wildly different pricing for the same service cited by different Tesla owners..... given Tesla owns ALL the service centers it should be (rougly) the same everywhere....and I've seen it for multiple different services too.... (take tire rotations which I've seen quoted everywhere from $0.00 up to like $200)

Regional management? My SC didn't charge for rattle diagnosis, I've seen others here say they got charged?

This is a weird one on Tesla's maintenance schedule:

Air Conditioning Service
An air conditioning service replaces the desiccant to help the longevity and efficiency of the air conditioning system. Tesla recommends an air conditioning service every 2 years for Model S, every 4 years for Model X and Model Y and every 6 years for Model 3.

I have never heard of opening up a perfectly good A/C system to replace the desiccant. You always replace desiccant/dryer if you open the system for any reason, but if the system remains pressurized and never opened, there's no way for more moisture to get into the system to warrant replacing the desiccant.

wonder if it has to do with Tesla AC design (given the problems with moldy smell etc)

so if you're not tracking or mainly using regen you're good?

Brake fluid is hygroscopic- it absorbs water just by existing- which makes it less effective in the long run.... absusing the brakes can speed this up but it ALWAYS happens eventually.

In light/regular use 2 years is probably too often to worry about it, but if a guy ever told me he'd never touched the brake fluid in his 10 year old car I'd ask him to let me out so I could call a cab.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: vickh and namikun
The last time I asked Tesla for pricing they quoted me $69 to inspect the brake fluid, $199 to replace it. $19.50 seems very low but if they are willing to do it for that price let them go for it.

I changed out the cabin air filter last month and Tesla charged me $74.00 for parts and labor.
Agree, seems cheap. Made the appt via the app, they sent a cost estimate and asked that I approve it. Says "request to check break fluid". I had them replace my cabin filter while they were here installing my HW3 computer, charged me $73 for it.

Wow, they sent me a quote for 194$ to change cabin filters. Does it depend on location or something. I ended up just doing it myself.

The parts cost around $35.00 so I can’t imagine where they came up with that number. I used the Santa Ana service center. Maybe try calling again and speaking to a different person?

Dealer labor charges are $100-150 an hour most places, plus a $35 part, $194 isn't tough to get to if they bill you an hour.

(they probably shouldn't- but see again tire rotation quotes ranging between $0 and $200 and everywhere in between, all with tesla service centers)

Reactions: Fadiawesome
Dealer labor charges are $100-150 an hour most places, plus a $35 part, $194 isn't tough to get to if they bill you an hour.

(they probably shouldn't- but see again tire rotation quotes ranging between $0 and $200 and everywhere in between, all with tesla service centers)

In this case we are talking about two service centers within 30 miles of each other. That is pretty ridiculous for Tesla to be so inconsistent with their service pricing on such a routine item.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
I'm wondering if the service centers have some discretion in pricing. Perhaps one would be prompted to better price a service in an attempt to secure a new customer...? The $ differences I've seen remind me of the old dealership model.