Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 year maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just about at my 2 year anniversary of getting my Model S. Sometime soon after purchasing it, Tesla eliminated their annual maintenance recommendations. But there are still a few things that they recommend every 2 years:

- cabin air filter
- tire rotation, balance, and alignment
- brake fluid test
- air conditioning service

Does anyone have any experience getting this maintenance done at a Service Center? I don't see an option in the app for regular scheduled maintenance, it looks like I'll have to choose 'Other'. I also would like to know the cost.

I'm not averse to doing maintenance myself, but most of those things I wouldn't be able to do (balance tires and wheel alignment, brake fluid test, not sure about air conditioning service.) Has anyone had anyone else perform this maintenance other than the Tesla Service Center, or have done all this yourself? Do you just schedule through the app and choose 'other'?

Does anyone have any experience getting this maintenance done at a Service Center? I don't see an option in the app for regular scheduled maintenance, it looks like I'll have to choose 'Other'. I also would like to know the cost.

Did mine last November. I believe I just selected other and mentioned in the notes that I wanted "2 year service" and they knew what I meant. Total cost for me was about $700 w/o tax and mostly covered labor ($600 in labor and $100 in parts). I imagine there are certain things you may be able to do yourself that are part of the annual service (wiper blade replacement, key fob replacement, etc.) but for me it was just easier to have them do everything.

They won't do service for items that don't require it. For example, they won't do a tire rotation if your car has staggered wheels and won't charge you for that portion of the service.

Reactions: docbrown
$700 is a rip off for that service. I had the cabin air filter and brake fluid test at 2 years (asked for those specifically not the “2 year service”) and it cost me $43 inc tax at Tesla Seattle. I get my tires rotated for free at Discount Tire.

353D7568-EE4F-46E2-9591-3DEBC66406E1.png

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
I only had Tesla do the AC service last month. This is the second time I have had Tesla recharge it since owning this car. I suggest it to be critical to the long term reliability of the AC system, and the more efficient the system is the less energy it will take to operate the system. Cost me $170 CDN. Worth every penny.

Yes I booked it in the app and however you relay the information that you want the AC serviced (desiccant bag, same thing) they will know.

All the other maintenance items I do myself. While I was there I bought 2 cabin filters for $24.

If your tires are wearing well the alignment is not needed.

If the brake fluid is only 2 years old I guarantee it is fine; taking the cap off to test it just allows moisture to enter the system. I would just get it changed at 3-4 years; it would probably test fine (eg: <2% moisture), but $100 for piece of mind and getting fresh brake fluid would be my recommendation. The other camp suggest waiting until it test >4% moisture; maybe that is 6 or 7 years later, but by that time there is already rust and corrosion happening in the brake lines so it is too late IMO.

What is just as important and not on your list is servicing the brakes. I understand you are in Texas and therefore there is a good chance they are probably just fine, but if you drive in any conditions other than dry sunny weather they will get mucked up with debris over time. I am in the camp that taking them apart and cleaning them to ensure longer lasting pads and less energy wasted in drag is $100 well spent. Tesla recommends every year where I live, but I do them every 6 months when I change the wheels from all season to all weathers, and believe me they need it. I also have done this on all the other vehicles I have owned in the past and those callipers needed it as well. And these Brembo's are just a dream to work on :cool:

If someone else is reading this and doesn't live in Texas, California, Florida etc. the park brakes require service as well; mine were seized from not getting serviced regularly and I they needed replacing.

Most of the cost for me was in the alignment and suspension service. Would I pay what I did for peace of mind and having Tesla do those checks/repairs/tuning? You bet.

For sure. Back when I got the car I had them do the full service, and they found an axle seal that was slightly leaking and repaired/replaced it under warranty. I had no idea it was leaking and if they hadn't it would be on my dime when warranty ran out. People were saying it was $900 CDN for wipers, a fob battery and washer fluid what a rip off, but it was a whole lot more than that. It took them 3 hours just to do the full service, they had my car for almost 5 hours. What would it cost for 5 hours of service work at the BMW dealership?

One item I forgot to add above @docbrown is if you have a sunroof, you need to clean it and lube it annually with Klübersynth noise reduction grease, Tesla part number 1031102-00-A. or it starts to chatter and wear out.

I only had Tesla do the AC service last month. This is the second time I have had Tesla recharge it since owning this car. I suggest it to be critical to the long term reliability of the AC system, and the more efficient the system is the less energy it will take to operate the system. Cost me $170 CDN. Worth every penny.

Can you please post the invoice for the $170 desiccant bag replacement? I was quoted $300 for the same job.