Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 year vs 4 year warranty, is there option to extend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am shopping CPO cars and see a lot of cars with the 2 year warranty. For an extra 4k-5k I can get an 85 with the extra 2 years and 50k warranty (vs 2 year and up to 100k) my question is does Tesla allow for me to purchase an extended warranty after the purchase? I am looking to drive 12k miles a year and normally keep cars 2-3 years. my fear is that beyond 2 years I will have to make a decision on keeping it out of warranty (or buying and extended, which is my question) or just selling and find something else. Does Tesla offer any warranty beyond the 2 years if i go with the cheaper car, or am I better off just buying the car with 4 year warranty and spending money upfront.

Dan,

This is all conjecture as I do not have an official answer. I am also shopping CPOs and weighing the warranties and potential costs of owning a Tesla outside of warranty. I do not believe Tesla offers an extended warranty on top of any of the CPO warranties, 2 yr or 4 yr. I believe if you buy new you can extend the 4yr/50K another 4 yr/50K.

Gavin

Hey Guys I can help with this question based on my recent expirence. I purchased a CPO with 2 year 50k warranty 2 weeks ago. I asked my DS and CPO advisor if I was able to buy an extended warranty. I was told that this is not possible. Maybe it will change later and we will be able to purchase but at this time Tesla is not offering extended warranty on CPO at the 2 year warranty or 4 year warranty.

Buy the car with the full expectation that you cannot extend the warranty. They have never offered an extension on the 4/50k warranty, so I would not anticipate that they will offer one on the 2/100, either. If they end up offering one, you can weigh then whether it's worth it.

ok, makes perfect sense. My thought is get the 4 year warranty and just keep it and enjoy it for 4 years, vs having to worry about warranty issues down the road. I guess the premium for 2 years more coverage is about 3-4k in comparing cars. Would I purchase a 2 year extended for 2 years for 3-4k and the answer is yes, so why not just pay for it and finance over the term of the loan. Will the warranty transfer if I sell the car to another buyer? that may make it easier to sell down the road with some remaining warranty.

The 2 year cars are generally much higher mileage than the 4 year cars, so the increase in cost is a combination of significantly lower mileage on the car and the longer warranty. Generally you are looking at $0.25 (maybe a little more on a Tesla), so every 10K miles is $2500, so a car with 20K more miles would be worth $5K less.