TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2 years, 50k, what to do next...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Jul 28, 2018.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I have a 2016.5 model s 75d that is coming up on 2 years and 50k miles. I have been weighing options on what to do next. Come September, I can do my 4th annual service $750, buy tires $800, and buy the extended warranty $4250, or possibly sell/trade in and get a new model s/x. Anyone have the warranty that can discuss pros/cons here? Such as, is there anything it doesn't cover? battery (12v not the 75kwh battery) and I hear there is a service charge for every visit. Is it worth it? Or should I just sell/trade and take advantage of the last tax credit and get a second set of wheels for referring myself and maybe sell those? Any conversation here would be super helpful!

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Avoid the extended warranty. Waste of $$ IMO, highly unlikely you'll get your moneys worth on that.

You can do what i'm doing and upgrade to a model X :)

• Like x 2
  3. Bheuring

Bheuring Member

I didn’t extend my warranty.sofar so good I am at about 80,000 miles.
    Problems after warranty have been
    1.ball joint it was 900 to fix had Tesla do it local shop could off done it they were going to charge the same price
    2.12v battery was 200 I think to fix
    3.( This is a tricky one) back hatch quit lifting all the way up called Tesla they said it needs To replace shocks . Replaced the shocks got home hatch still didn’t lift all the way up when I was talking to the tech over the phone he showed me how to fix it turns out I probably never needed new shocks .Tesla has tried to make it up to me was sort of an IOU but that’s a whole different story

• Informative x 2
  4. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

What was the fix for your shock?

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Based on the feedback from the TMC forums, I would highly recommend the extended warranty for the Model X...:cool:

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. whitex

whitex Active Member

If you take the money you'd spend on trade-up to a new car and just use it as a repair fund for the next 2 years/50k miles, you'll likely come out much ahead financially, even considering resale value at the end of the 2 years (2 year vs. 4 year, both out of warranty cars).

• Informative x 1
  7. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

I'm in the same boat but 1. kinda waiting for the "refresh" and 2. would like to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit while still in existence. Soooo...if the refresh happens while I can still get the $7500 I'm ordering a new Tesla, if not I'll hang on to my current S(no extended warranty) and wait for a super compelling reason(refresh w/hover mode, force field etc.) within the next few years and upgrade.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. pp61

pp61 Active Member

Would like to know this too. My back hatch is refusing to go up the last few inches. Tesla looked at this but need to further investigate.
    If a trick is out here IO would love to know.

• Like x 1
  9. appleguru

appleguru Member

Have you tried manually raising the hatch to the desired position and pressing and holding the hatch button to set the new level as the desired open level?

• Like x 3
  10. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

We were in exactly the same boat. A March 2015 build that had 50,000 miles 24 months later. We elected to skip the warranty because $4k would have only bought us about two more years of coverage.

Well, it’s about 15 months later and we have had three door handles fail and just this past week our MCU died. The former are $700 each for Tesla to fix* and the latter is costing us more than $3000. For us, the gamble didn’t pay off. We should have either bought the warranty or traded the car.

*One of the three door handles was barely out of warranty so Tesla fixed it as a courtesy and the other two we just couldn’t bear to spend $700 for what amounted to a $2 gear so we bought $149 third party rebuild kits and rebuilt the other two ourselves using stainless steel gears and better wiring harnesses. Spending hours each time in a sweltering garage was not fun.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  11. pp61

pp61 Active Member

Yes, I tried this, also Tesla tried this. They changed the motors but still the hatch did not open fully. It is now elavated to the US to find a solution.

12. The Duke

The Duke Member

Sounds like you are tired of the 75D, time for a 100D or even a P100D.

• Love x 1
  13. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

I am seriously considering the model 3 for it's high range and cheaper insurance/registration/maintenace/etc. Sure I dont get free supercharging but the saving elsewhere more than makes up for it. And it is a better road tripping car because of it efficiency and charge rate.

• Like x 1
  14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I’m in the same boat. I’m really leaning toward just not buying it at all and just fixing this if they come on my own.

• Like x 1
  15. whitex

whitex Active Member

Sounds like you would have been slightly ahead at this point:
    ($3,000 MCU + $1,400 door handles) vs. ($4,500 warranty + $300 for three deductibles)

$400 ahead with 9 months to go ($1,500 considering DYI fixes you did), I wouldn't call it a loss just yet.

• Like x 2
  16. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

How fair is Tesla when you trade in your car? In other words, do they give a good price for your car or is it usually a fairly significant loss compared to private party or carmax?

17. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I'm sure it varies .mine was 20% below kbb price for a trade-in.

18. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

True, but it’s really hot in my garage right now and fixing those door handles was quite an annoyance!

19. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The Tesla Extended Service Agreement, ESA has a $200 deductible per visit :cool:

• Informative x 2
  20. Bheuring

Bheuring Member

If You left the back hatch all the way up and hold the trunk button on the hatch for about 20 sec it will make a weird beep after that beep it will rest the hatch and start going all the way up again

• Informative x 3