Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016.5 model s 75d that is coming up on 2 years and 50k miles. I have been weighing options on what to do next. Come September, I can do my 4th annual service $750, buy tires $800, and buy the extended warranty $4250, or possibly sell/trade in and get a new model s/x. Anyone have the warranty that can discuss pros/cons here? Such as, is there anything it doesn't cover? battery (12v not the 75kwh battery) and I hear there is a service charge for every visit. Is it worth it? Or should I just sell/trade and take advantage of the last tax credit and get a second set of wheels for referring myself and maybe sell those? Any conversation here would be super helpful!

I didn’t extend my warranty.sofar so good I am at about 80,000 miles.
Problems after warranty have been
1.ball joint it was 900 to fix had Tesla do it local shop could off done it they were going to charge the same price
2.12v battery was 200 I think to fix
3.( This is a tricky one) back hatch quit lifting all the way up called Tesla they said it needs To replace shocks . Replaced the shocks got home hatch still didn’t lift all the way up when I was talking to the tech over the phone he showed me how to fix it turns out I probably never needed new shocks .Tesla has tried to make it up to me was sort of an IOU but that’s a whole different story

I didn’t extend my warranty.sofar so good I am at about 80,000 miles.
Problems after warranty have been
1.ball joint it was 900 to fix had Tesla do it local shop could off done it they were going to charge the same price
2.12v battery was 200 I think to fix
3.( This is a tricky one) back hatch quit lifting all the way up called Tesla they said it needs To replace shocks . Replaced the shocks got home hatch still didn’t lift all the way up when I was talking to the tech over the phone he showed me how to fix it turns out I probably never needed new shocks .Tesla has tried to make it up to me was sort of an IOU but that’s a whole different story
What was the fix for your shock?

I have a 2016.5 model s 75d that is coming up on 2 years and 50k miles. I have been weighing options on what to do next. Come September, I can do my 4th annual service $750, buy tires $800, and buy the extended warranty $4250, or possibly sell/trade in and get a new model s/x. Anyone have the warranty that can discuss pros/cons here? Such as, is there anything it doesn't cover? battery (12v not the 75kwh battery) and I hear there is a service charge for every visit. Is it worth it? Or should I just sell/trade and take advantage of the last tax credit and get a second set of wheels for referring myself and maybe sell those? Any conversation here would be super helpful!
I'm in the same boat but 1. kinda waiting for the "refresh" and 2. would like to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit while still in existence. Soooo...if the refresh happens while I can still get the $7500 I'm ordering a new Tesla, if not I'll hang on to my current S(no extended warranty) and wait for a super compelling reason(refresh w/hover mode, force field etc.) within the next few years and upgrade.

We were in exactly the same boat. A March 2015 build that had 50,000 miles 24 months later. We elected to skip the warranty because $4k would have only bought us about two more years of coverage.

Well, it’s about 15 months later and we have had three door handles fail and just this past week our MCU died. The former are $700 each for Tesla to fix* and the latter is costing us more than $3000. For us, the gamble didn’t pay off. We should have either bought the warranty or traded the car.

*One of the three door handles was barely out of warranty so Tesla fixed it as a courtesy and the other two we just couldn’t bear to spend $700 for what amounted to a $2 gear so we bought $149 third party rebuild kits and rebuilt the other two ourselves using stainless steel gears and better wiring harnesses. Spending hours each time in a sweltering garage was not fun.

We were in exactly the same boat. A March 2015 build that had 50,000 miles 24 months later. We elected to skip the warranty because $4k would have only bought us about two more years of coverage.

Well, it’s about 15 months later and we have had three door handles fail and just this past week our MCU died. The former are $700 each for Tesla to fix* and the latter is costing us more than $3000. For us, the gamble didn’t pay off. We should have either bought the warranty or traded the car.

*One of the three door handles was barely out of warranty so Tesla fixed it as a courtesy and the other two we just couldn’t bear to spend $700 for what amounted to a $2 gear so we bought $149 third party rebuild kits and rebuilt the other two ourselves using stainless steel gears and better wiring harnesses. Spending hours each time in a sweltering garage was not fun.
Sounds like you would have been slightly ahead at this point:
($3,000 MCU + $1,400 door handles) vs. ($4,500 warranty + $300 for three deductibles)

$400 ahead with 9 months to go ($1,500 considering DYI fixes you did), I wouldn't call it a loss just yet.

Sounds like you would have been slightly ahead at this point:
($3,000 MCU + $1,400 door handles) vs. ($4,500 warranty + $300 for three deductibles)

$400 ahead with 9 months to go ($1,500 considering DYI fixes you did), I wouldn't call it a loss just yet.

The Tesla Extended Service Agreement, ESA has a $200 deductible per visit :cool: