Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but it’s really hot in my garage right now and fixing those door handles was quite an annoyance!
Obviously worth $1,100 to you, or you would just pay Tesla to do it ;)

PS> as pointed out by @FlatSix911 , deductible is $200 not $100, so really, you are still ahead $1,800, minus the inconvenience of working in a hot garage - for $400 you could have gotten a portable air conditioning unit for your garage by the way, still cheaper than paying Tesla to do it. :p

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
FWIW, my son raves about his 3 and there have been zero issues since taking ownership in February.

Given the volume of cars produced, the 3 has turned out to be a great consumer vehicle with very minimal issues.

For me, the X is the way to go despite the more complex build/possible failures.

Best of luck either way: keep it or buy new.

Getting back to the OP's questions.

We just traded in our 2012 S P85, with 95K miles, for a new X 100D.

We had the extended warranty on the P85 - and plan to purchase it for the 100D. While the battery pack and motor are covered under the manufacturer's warranty for 8 years and unlimited miles, there are enough other components to the car to justify purchasing the extended warranty.

The extended warranty is basically an insurance policy, protecting you from major expenses. Assuming Tesla has run the numbers, the cost of the extended warranty is likely around the average for repairs that will likely be done under the warranty (especially since Musk continues to claim they are not running service as a "for profit" business). This means some customers will save $$$ by not getting the warranty, while others will save $$$ by having it.

The extended warranty has a $200 deductible per issue though it also covers towing to the nearest service center (something that could be expensive if you need service during a road trip).

As for refreshes or other possible improvements to the S/X family - Tesla makes changes periodically - so you're almost guaranteed that no matter when you place an order, 6 to 12 months later, there will be something even better.

For us, after getting our S P85, we watched Tesla add many new features to the new Model S cars - power folding mirrors, parking sensors, TACC, AP, EAP, dual motor, … - we waited until there was a combination of features that made a big enough improvement before pulling the trigger on a new Tesla. For us - it was getting the longer range possibly with the combination of the dual motors and 100 battery packs.

Any conversation here would be super helpful!

I'm at 135k miles with my Model S, I'd not consider upgrading knowing what I know of fixing my car. It's simple and easy to do post warranty so far. The drive train warranty is quite long so I'm not worried about that. Realistically the problems that develop I've seen are related to entry. Though many other issues are related to wiring that I see. Depends if you are willing to do work yourself or Tesla.

Dump it if you gotta go to Tesla. The costs are way too damn high.

P05285 is my VIN.