Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 years on from selling my S, I'm considering a 3. What has got better, what still sucks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not too worried about the 'wave' being a thing of the past to be honest, but I don't bother striking up small talk with Tesla owners at chargers these days. The customer base seems to have shifted from car enthusiasts embracing new technology to self important entitled flogs (including a run in I had with one guy who parked in a 'Tesla only' park at the shops and didn't plug in to charge).
I am however noticing more rage and angst directed towards my car by the HiLux/Ranger brigade these days though.

The customer base seems to have shifted from car enthusiasts embracing new technology to self important entitled flogs (including a run in I had with one guy who parked in a 'Tesla only' park at the shops and didn't plug in to charge).
I’ve met people like that before. Odds-on if they ever turned up somewhere desperate for a charge only to find a spot occupied with a non-charging car, they would fly into a fit of red-hot rage.

I am however noticing more rage and angst directed towards my car by the HiLux/Ranger brigade these days though.
Thankfully I’ve not had that yet... please let us not become like USA where “coal-rolling” is apparently a thing.

Reactions: Wol747
If you can afford it , take the Audi ETRON 55 for a test drive. Far better build and quality, charges fast and being Lithium phosphate, no problem charging to 100% each time with no degradation.
I have just sold my Model 3 and looking for my next EV .... at this point in time the Audi ,or the MIC Y or ID4 (when released) are possible candidates.

Go look up the Monroe reports on the ID4's, when it comes to battery tech Tesla is the clear winner.

The Audi may have beautiful build quality but if the tech is anything like the Taycan I just drove recently (and most likely worse) count me out...Tesla is a clear winner in the tech space (I know Tesla has their faults but still vastly ahead of the competition, the Taycan was really, and I mean, really a joke).

MIC Y, go for that one...

Last edited:
Service is much worse
Communication is much worse
Summon is much better
There are still bugs that come out in every release
Releases in the last 6 months have been few and far between (from 4-5 updates per month to 1 update every 2-3 months)
NoA still not working correctly around freeway onramps/offramps
AP2 is about on par with AP1 now
More charging infrastructure around
Many more things to do in your car while charging. Netflix, YouTube, Web Browser, Games
Many more Teslas around, not as many waves tho :(
Less ICEholes around, more EVholes around tho.
Supercharges still getting full from time to time. (Adelaide, Richmond, Broadway mainly)
My other car is a modifier Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I’m constantly waving. I’m going to have to do same in this? Really? Ugh…

Plenty of Hilux/Ranger folks near where I live, but I've had zero grief from them - many are genuinely interested in the car.
Some folk are friendlier than others. Had a grief from a Ford Ranger guy yesterday while driving back from supermarket. After turning right onto a main road, I had to get to the left most lane and this guy in the ranger behind me acclerated fast enough to not let me in, which was fine so I waited my turn and moved into the lane behind me. And then he starts brake checking me and when I didn't respond he started mouthing off at me. Needless to say, I had a few words of choice with him at the next set of lights.

I've had similar experiences with people wankers in Hilux/Rangers even in my Range Rover, so I guess its not limited to just Teslas.

If you can afford it , take the Audi ETRON 55 for a test drive. Far better build and quality, charges fast and being Lithium phosphate, no problem charging to 100% each time with no degradation.
I have just sold my Model 3 and looking for my next EV .... at this point in time the Audi ,or the MIC Y or ID4 (when released) are possible candidates.
Was chatting to a guy with an eTron at the charger the other day. He said his dad has a Model 3. He loves driving the eTron but says the range is terrible compared to his dad's Model 3.

Yes, the boot access really takes away from what is otherwise a cavernous space.
I hated it at first but now I don't mind.

I mainly use my Model 3 for diving and can easily fit all my gear in the boot. I just have to play Tetris to get it in but now as I have that worked out, it is just how I pack the car. I can fit two tanks (one for the dive and a spare), all my gear, including drysuit and weights, and still have some space to spare.

I can also fit another tank in the frunk.

I’ve been driving a Model 3 SR+ loaner since Monday whilst my AP1 Model S is in for service. Yes loaners do exist. :cool:
The FSD simulator is the stand out feature that will impress you the most. Not sure about those dancing trucks and busses tho.
Once I got used to the controls I actually mostly prefer them to the Mercedes based controls in my car with just a couple of exception, but none are deal breaking. Took a while to figure out following distance as the previous custodian had it set at 1 which is plainly scary in dense traffic.
Coming from air suspension the ride is significantly firmer and the tyres on this car were quite noisy, the ride I can live with but the tyre noise I did not get used to in the couple of days of experience.
Fit was very good on the car, finishing also good, except for the carpet and some of the trim pieces. I can understand the desire to apply coatings to the centre console piano black surfaces.
the other major change you will notice is the substantial improvement in audio quality over my standard audio older car.
Finally, and this is a personal preference are the seats. I’m aware the preference for sports seats, but for me my original Model S seats are so much more comfortabl.
let the brick bats fall.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman