Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 years on from selling my S, I'm considering a 3. What has got better, what still sucks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service is much worse
Communication is much worse
Summon is much better
There are still bugs that come out in every release
Releases in the last 6 months have been few and far between (from 4-5 updates per month to 1 update every 2-3 months)
NoA still not working correctly around freeway onramps/offramps
AP2 is about on par with AP1 now
More charging infrastructure around
Many more things to do in your car while charging. Netflix, YouTube, Web Browser, Games
Many more Teslas around, not as many waves tho :(
Less ICEholes around, more EVholes around tho.
Supercharges still getting full from time to time. (Adelaide, Richmond, Broadway mainly)

Service is much worse
Communication is much worse
Summon is much better
There are still bugs that come out in every release
Releases in the last 6 months have been few and far between (from 4-5 updates per month to 1 update every 2-3 months)
NoA still not working correctly around freeway onramps/offramps
AP2 is about on par with AP1 now
More charging infrastructure around
Many more things to do in your car while charging. Netflix, YouTube, Web Browser, Games
Many more Teslas around, not as many waves tho :(
Less ICEholes around, more EVholes around tho.
Supercharges still getting full from time to time. (Adelaide, Richmond, Broadway mainly)
Generally agree, although service in adelaide remains fantastic, but communication with service enforced by tesla is worse.

Yep. When I first got my Model 3 there was a degree of ‘frisson’ seeing another Model 3 on the road and often getting the wave. Not often from S/X drivers though, as if their ’club’ had just opened its doors to the plebs 😄

These days, nuthin’.
I don't find this to be accurate (I am in country Victoria), always get a wave or a smile or both. Had one lovely young lady wave at my yesterday and a guy give the 'peace' sign the day before. Your milage may vary.

Reactions: paulp and Hairyman
I don't find this to be accurate (I am in country Victoria), always get a wave or a smile or both. Had one lovely young lady wave at my yesterday and a guy give the 'peace' sign the day before. Your milage may vary.
Can grok that in regional areas. In Western NSW, everyone gives you the ‘wave’. The more remote, the higher the proportion.

Sydney city - a very short-lived phenomenon.

Still plenty of attention if you want it in adelaide, and plenty of people of all ages wanting to chat about EV. I suspect this whole road tax thing and some media around the future of fossil cars has made a few consider the options coming up.
Its surprsing how much the under 15 year olds know about a tesla. Can definately see a generation coming through that will have no interest in petrol.

If you can afford it , take the Audi ETRON 55 for a test drive. Far better build and quality, charges fast and being Lithium phosphate, no problem charging to 100% each time with no degradation.
I have just sold my Model 3 and looking for my next EV .... at this point in time the Audi ,or the MIC Y or ID4 (when released) are possible candidates.

If you can afford it , take the Audi ETRON 55 for a test drive. Far better build and quality, charges fast and being Lithium phosphate, no problem charging to 100% each time with no degradation.
I have just sold my Model 3 and looking for my next EV .... at this point in time the Audi ,or the MIC Y or ID4 (when released) are possible candidates.
Interesting. Always enjoyed the audi’s I’ve owned. Will look further.

Reactions: InternetDude
Hmm... 55% more expensive than Model 3 Long Range, 40% heavier, 80% of the range.

Each to their own...
Not everyone cares about the price nor does everyone have the same criteria that is important to them. Thats why many buy a petrol audi over a petrol ford at more than double the price. The weight is concerning though, as that would likely deteriorate the driving experience, but audi do make an exceptional adaptive suspension system.
The size of the boot entry makes a model 3 an impossibility for our lifestyle for example. It cannot even enter the equation. That doesnt mean its a bad car nor does it mean tesla got it wrong, as no car suits everyone. Thats why I have an S.

Reactions: Hairyman
Not everyone cares about the price nor does everyone have the same criteria that is important to them. Thats why many buy a petrol audi over a petrol ford at more than double the price. The weight is concerning though, as that would likely deteriorate the driving experience, but audi do make an exceptional adaptive suspension system.
The size of the boot entry makes a model 3 an impossibility for our lifestyle for example. It cannot even enter the equation. That doesnt mean its a bad car nor does it mean tesla got it wrong, as no car suits everyone. Thats why I have an S.
Yes, the boot access really takes away from what is otherwise a cavernous space.

Tesla Bjørn has compiled a spreadsheet of comparison data for a wide range of EVs under different conditions. Of interest to the road-trippers is the 1000km data. It shows how long it takes to drive 1000km taking charging into account. I’m still digging to see the charging strategy and conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
I bought a secondhand S over a new 3 for exactly that reason - I was used to an Audi that had a decent boot space. But otherwise the 3 is a great car and good bang for the buck - it will probably be my next car.

I would really like the etron or EQC to have been a good thing, but they're just disappointing. Tesla got gifted 8 years of head start by the rest of legacy auto, and it really shows.

And as to getting waves, I get (and give) them all the time, both from Teslas and other EV's.

Reactions: paulp and Hairyman
Tesla Bjørn has compiled a spreadsheet of comparison data for a wide range of EVs under different conditions. Of interest to the road-trippers is the 1000km data. It shows how long it takes to drive 1000km taking charging into account. I’m still digging to see the charging strategy and conditions.
Fascinating stuff... no 24 kWh Nissan Leaf in the list though 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: moa999 and Hairyman