Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” forged wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unbelievably, this has been a decision years in the making. After reading A LOT on this subject, I decided to go with a square set of VS forged wheels in a 20”x9” with 32mm offset wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 245/40/20 to replace the OEM 19”x8” 40mm offset slipstreams. My decision was driven by a compromise in aesthetics, tire durability, and handling. Tire durability meaning that 21’s suffer significantly more cracked rims and bubbles (pinched) tires. Better handling through reduction of unsprung weight, lower profile and slightly wider offset offering more poke. Overall I’m very happy with the decision I made. I had originally bought some referral Arachnids and had them powder coated, but wound up selling them before installing them on my car. I really didn’t want 21’s or a staggered set on my RWD S75. I would not be able to rotate them, and if one was damaged I would have to keep two different spares for front/rear, and I was worried about destroying tires and having to deal with the cost/hassle of replacing them.

I bought my new wheels through “get your wheels” and overall had a very good experience. The one down side is they took a LONG time to be produced (covid didn’t help) so I had to wait almost 4 months. But, once getyourwheels received them they mounted and shipped immediately, I got them two days later. I also bought a spare with matching tire, so they shipped 5 all together. Now, if one is damaged I can install a new one in about 10 minutes. I can also bring one with my on trips and change a flat if needed. Lastly, I can rotate the 5th wheel into the rear where more wear happens because it’s a RWD and I have a led foot.

Since I got the wheels delivered mounted/balanced I could not weigh them separately, but did weight them as a package. They came in at 49lbs 12 oz, which is great. The OEM slipstreams with the same tire (at about 5k miles) were 56lbs 12oz. So, I got larger wheels and dropped almost 30lbs in unsprung weight.

I think custom forged are great because there are many different styles/colors to choose from. As you can see, I am a fan of gray wheels. I LOVE the color of my new wheels. And, VS forged were actually cheaper per wheel then some aftermarket forged 19" wheels I was looking at on some of the regular Tesla after market sites.

front forged.jpg

Attachments

• front OEM.jpg
    front OEM.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 229
  • poke OEM.jpg
    poke OEM.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 228
  • side view forged.jpg
    side view forged.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 217
  • side view OEM.jpg
    side view OEM.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 242
  • wheel side-side.jpg
    wheel side-side.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 212
  • poke forged.jpg
    poke forged.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 225
Good choice on the size/offset and tires. I have the same tires and wheel size, though my offsets are +35. I always say 20" wheels are the sweet spot for handling/comfort/range/durability.
Thanks. I've seen you in many of the same threads that I lurk. getyourwheels suggested the offset and its great. One front just slightly rubs in reverse. I don't even worry about it.

The rubbing might even go away. Technically my +35s are closer to the inside than yours and may be more likely to rub. I got just the slightest amount of rubbing initially, but it is quiet now.

Even after break in, I still have a range penalty of maybe 7% with the new setup vs. the stock MXM4s, but the handling is much, much better - a compromise I'm willing to live with.

As a fellow white S owner with grey 20" VS Forged wheels...I say great choice!

(also square setup in 20x9 with same size tires)
(also through Get Your Wheels)

FYI I did have a chance to weigh mine (style VS08) before mounting and they came out to 21.8 lbs.

The rubbing might even go away. Technically my +35s are closer to the inside than yours and may be more likely to rub. I got just the slightest amount of rubbing initially, but it is quiet now.

Even after break in, I still have a range penalty of maybe 7% with the new setup vs. the stock MXM4s, but the handling is much, much better - a compromise I'm willing to live with.
Likewise, I’m a little disappointed in the range hit. I didn’t fully realize that reducing the “face” surface area of the wheel has the largest impact on range. My 30k mile average is 329 kw/mi. For the first 800 miles it’s been 360 kw/mi. Granted, I installed these mid December so that doesn’t give an accurate “year round” average. Still worth it though.

if there were after market aero-caps that would clip on to them for road trips I’d buy them!