Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a Model Y Long Range MSM with 20” induction wheels approximately 1 1/2 months ago. In the 1 1/2 months that I have owned and driven the Model Y, between my wife and myself, we have scrapped the wheel rims of 3 of the wheels. In all of my 50+ years of driving this has never happened before. I expect many other owners have had a similar experience. The reason for this is because the wheel rims stick out beyond the face of the tire and are the first point of contact. This is a design flaw that I feel should be addressed.

I agree. Every Y I’ve seen in the wild with 20 inch wheels has curb rash. I’ve done it twice myself. I invested in some rim blades which cover the damage and are a sacrificial layer, but I’ve never had a car that’s so likely to get wheel rash!

They are a little wider it seems. Had my Model 3 for a year and my wife drove it once and curbed it. Barely a scratch but...
Swing them wide! Or get some curb feelers (Kidding of course)

3ec9740a764e611a68814ed1f04adc8a

A couple of years ago I put some of those curb feelers on my wife's car to maybe help decrease her curb rash on the wheels since I was getting tired of constantly getting them repaired. It was surprising how many people had no idea what these were and would always point out we had something sticking out of the car.

By the way- absolutely no change in the incidence of curb rash.

I got curb rash on my i3 with 20” rims the third week I had it. It made me remember to be mindful when turning and use the mirror tilt function when parallel parking next to a curb. Lesson learned. I am mindful with our Y

Like the i3, there isn’t much meat on the tires, with any Tesla rims so the rim is directly exposed. It’s not a design flaw of the Y, but repercussions of low profile tires.

Reactions: Reborn
Not unique to Tesla. My 2004 Audi A4 had similar rims, where both the rim and the wheel center seemed to be beyond the edge of the rubber. I have Belgian block curbing in my neighborhood, which wreaks havoc on rims. This one isn't a design 'issue'; in fact, I assume they purposely do that for aerodynamic reasons.

There are only two logical reasons for this.

1. You've been hitting curbs most of your life, but Tesla wheels/tires don't offer the same protection so you notice it. This is not Tesla's fault but driver error as hitting curbs is not a requirement for driving.

2. You've never hit curbs before, but Tesla wheels/tires (or the car) is somehow making you hit curbs. I find this hard to believe.

Which is it?

First, I will say that the curb rash was totally my fault. It's just that the curb jumped out and got in my way completely unexpectedly. ;)

That being said, the black design (which looks so great) is bad at showing any an all curb rash. Normally after 10 years of driving (and I'll own up to the fact that I make a mistake once in a while) the wheels still look like new. For my new MY, it took only a couple of drive for 1 of the wheels to look terrible.

Pro Tip: Get an Xtra Large Black Sharpie Marker. It's not a perfect match, but unless you're looking closely it will cover things up.

Also, I bought a set of AlloyGators after getting my curb rash on one of my first drives, but decided not to put them on after picking up a screw a few drives later which lead to a trip to the tire shop. They convinced me not to put them on because adding them makes their life so much harder. Maybe its the roads here in the greater Seattle area, but I end up getting my tires repaired way more then I end up having to deal with curbs unexpectedly jumping out at me.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with a black set of AlloyGators.

I curbed my MY twice in a week after delivery. I drove a Tacoma prior. The width difference is 2 in (Tesla wider) and I honestly think that this was enough to cause the rash. It seems like a common problem, especially in the first weeks of ownership. Teslas are wide!

Sorry, it's your fault. I've owned Teslas since 2012. I rashed one rim. Totally my fault.

Look at many cars with people who are either careless or just not attentive enough, you'll see rash.

I will say that black is like BOLDLY advertising the curb rash.

100% agree with what others are saying...it's the driver's fault for curb rash. Majority of the people who have curb rash just aren't careful and, in my experience of friends who have curb rash, they don't understand or have a feel for the dimensions of their car. In addition, if curb rash occurs while parallel parking, that comes down to technique. When I was taught how to parallel park in high school, the driving instructor taught us a method that is foolproof (regardless of size of car, if it's the first time you're driving the car, etc.) and will prevent curb rash and guarantee you get it parked in one shot.

I'm not saying I've never curbed my wheels...over the past 6 years, I've had two cars with 20" wheels (X5 and SQ5) and I curbed the wheels once on each car. Both times, they were totally my fault. Once, I wasn't paying attention when parking late at night and the other time I was pushing it by trying to get closer to the curb than I normally do (not parallel parking but just pulling up to the sidewalk in front of our condo). One thing I'll say, I've learned every time I've done it! haha.