Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” induction winter tire package on MYP sucks….what should I do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went ahead and bought 20” induction winter package with Pirelli snows installed on new MYP. Did this because slipping/sliding around with the 21” Uberturbines and the Michelin Pilot all seasons during recent storm. Pirelli are 40 psi all around. I assumed ride would be even better with the winter set, but ride is worse, car feels unsettled, feeling every road imperfection, bounciness, bordering on intolerable, and has caused loud rattle in the rear of the car.

Of course the set can’t be returned since it is a service installed accessory. Do I complain to service center anyway? Maybe ask them to check the balances? Or do I take to a tire shop, like Discount Tire, to problem solve/check balances?

Or do just make do with 21” Ubeturbines/Michelins and try to sell this winter set?

Already missed the additional $3750 by one day, why not throw $4500 more down the drain….

The Pirellis are a firm snow tire. Very sporty, in some cases more sporty than the tires they replace. I put them on my ID.4 and it actually had better steering response on the winter tires. The sidewalls are very beefy and reinforced.

Nothing is wrong with your car, it's just the tire. Balance wouldn't affect the issues you're describing.

Last edited:
My 2020 LRMY with the factory 19" wheels and Continental Procontact RX tires felt unsettled, bounced and rocked when driven in 7F to 10F temperatures. Tires were at 41 PSI. The low temperature (for my area) affected the springs and shock absorbers, my Model Y did not ride well.

Turn on Off-Road Assist for driving in snow and slippery road conditions.
What does that do and any drawbacks?

“Off-Road Assist is designed to provide overall improvements when driving off-road. In addition to allowing the wheels to spin, Off-Road Assist balances the torque between the front and rear motors to optimize traction. Off-Road Assist improves traction on rough and soft surfaces where one side of the vehicle may lose traction while the other side still has traction. When Off-Road Assist is on, the accelerator pedal provides more gradual torque, which is useful for crawling at low speeds (for example, over rocky surfaces).”

Reactions: dgaultiere
Thank you everyone, all of this makes me feel better. I had thought the Pirellis were a fairly soft tire, -now I know.

It was still property cold last nite, 2-3 below zero. Tomorrow, it may be as warm as 36, so maybe tires will feel better with higher temp.?

How low can I run pressures in the sottozeros to try to improve ride?

Thank you everyone, all of this makes me feel better. I had thought the Pirellis were a fairly soft tire, -now I know.

It was still property cold last nite, 2-3 below zero. Tomorrow, it may be as warm as 36, so maybe tires will feel better with higher temp.?

How low can I run pressures in the sottozeros to try to improve ride?
If you lower the cold tire pressure more than ~10% the Tesla TPMS will display a warning, so ~37 - 38 PSI.

Another option is to go opposite. Add 1 to 2 PSI above the recommended 42 PSI. Seems counterintuitive, I know, but most of the time I run the factory Continental Procontact RX tires at 43 - 44 PSI and find that the ride is better with this tire pressure setting.

If you lower the cold tire pressure more than ~10% the Tesla TPMS will display a warning, so ~37 - 38 PSI.

Another option is to go opposite. Add 1 to 2 PSI above the recommended 42 PSI. Seems counterintuitive, I know, but most of the time I run the factory Continental Procontact RX tires at 43 - 44 PSI and find that the ride is better with this tire pressure setting.
Thanks, I’ll try adding air first..

What does that do and any drawbacks?

“Off-Road Assist is designed to provide overall improvements when driving off-road. In addition to allowing the wheels to spin, Off-Road Assist balances the torque between the front and rear motors to optimize traction. Off-Road Assist improves traction on rough and soft surfaces where one side of the vehicle may lose traction while the other side still has traction. When Off-Road Assist is on, the accelerator pedal provides more gradual torque, which is useful for crawling at low speeds (for example, over rocky surfaces).”

Off-Road Assist made a big difference for me in snow/slippery road conditions. Without it, the car felt like it was on the verge of fishtailing. With it, the car is stable and balanced.

Reactions: dgaultiere
I just wanted to mention that the 20” induction winter wheel/package that I initially complained about is working well now on my YP. The warmer temps, < 0, seemed to have helped, along with the suggestion to make sure the tire pressures are 42psi.

I feel bad to have complained initially, because the car has been great so far. It is truly an amazing machine and we have been enjoying it tremendously.. So much, we are making some initial plans to purchase for a second Tesla, possibly a S with steering wheel given our experience with the Y.