TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

20” Performance wheel with pretty bad curb rash

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dan203, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Active Member

I clipped the curb pretty hard last week and did this to my wheel...

E97FD508-B120-4AB3-80E3-E0BC1BEDDF82.jpeg

I didn’t want to deal with trying to have it repaired so I just had Tesla replace it. ($836 :eek:)

If anyone lives in the northern nevada area and is willing to pick it up from Carson City I'm willing to let it go cheap. (make me an offer) Don’t want to put any effort into shipping it, so locals only.

2. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

Did you end up needing to replace the tire too?

Free bump for your listing.

But you should have put it in the Tesla Parts For Sale Sub Forum.

3. Johnstac

Johnstac Member

I feel your pain. I have these 20” wheels painted Tesla S gray. I have had to have the guy back out to my house to touch up rash at least 5 times already at $60 a pop. It adds up. I plan to replace the wheel with 18” when the tires wear down. It’s just to much work to maintain the 20s. Every time I go to a supercharger, I see every car with 20” wheels covered in rash. Such a poor design. They look great but that is it. Every other category, the 18” win. Mileage, ride wheel protection......it’s a no-brainer imo.

4. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

It’s hilarious how much hate the 20s get. I’ve had my car 6 months now and have precisely zero curb rash, just like I had zero curb rash with my factory 19s on my Golf R, which everyone complained was a dreadful choice for the car etc etc.

Bottom line is if you curb your wheel, you damage it. Unless you have semi tires that stick out way beyond the hub, what do you expect? Pretty much every Aero-shod Model 3 I come across in Seattle is curbed to high heaven, too. Just don’t curb your damn wheels!

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  5. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Shearing it against a curb isn't the only action that scours or damages rims. I've had it happen due to potholes -- skinny enough tires and right shape of pothole will marr rims just the same -- which are practically unavoidable.

• Informative x 2
  6. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

That’s absolutely true, but far less common. The complaints I tend to read here about the 20s in terms of scrapes is literal curb rash, which is 100% avoidable if one is careful. Accidents happen, of course, but it is avoidable.

• Like x 1
  7. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

A good rim shop can fix that for 100 to 150. they will just grind off the rash and repaint and you'll never notice it unless you feel for it.

• Like x 1
  8. Dan203

Dan203 Active Member

There was a tiny chunk taken out of the tire, but I had new AS tires put on a few days later so that didn't matter either.

Speaking of which if anyone wants a set of 4 factory 20" performance summer tires cheap and lives in the area make me an offer. I don't need those either. They had less than 500 miles on them when I swapped them.

9. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

Yep. The 18’s with Aero’s have no problem rashing as well. I’ve hit the same tire in the same place twice and got quite the rash.