Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” Performance wheel with pretty bad curb rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I clipped the curb pretty hard last week and did this to my wheel...

E97FD508-B120-4AB3-80E3-E0BC1BEDDF82.jpeg

I didn’t want to deal with trying to have it repaired so I just had Tesla replace it. ($836 :eek:)

If anyone lives in the northern nevada area and is willing to pick it up from Carson City I'm willing to let it go cheap. (make me an offer) Don’t want to put any effort into shipping it, so locals only.

I clipped the curb pretty hard last week and did this to my wheel...

View attachment 472987

I didn’t want to deal with trying to have it repaired so I just had Tesla replace it. ($836 :eek:)

If anyone lives in the northern nevada area and is willing to pick it up from Carson City I'm willing to let it go cheap. (make me an offer) Don’t want to put any effort into shipping it, so locals only.

Did you end up needing to replace the tire too?

Free bump for your listing.

But you should have put it in the Tesla Parts For Sale Sub Forum.

I feel your pain. I have these 20” wheels painted Tesla S gray. I have had to have the guy back out to my house to touch up rash at least 5 times already at $60 a pop. It adds up. I plan to replace the wheel with 18” when the tires wear down. It’s just to much work to maintain the 20s. Every time I go to a supercharger, I see every car with 20” wheels covered in rash. Such a poor design. They look great but that is it. Every other category, the 18” win. Mileage, ride wheel protection......it’s a no-brainer imo.

I feel your pain. I have these 20” wheels painted Tesla S gray. I have had to have the guy back out to my house to touch up rash at least 5 times already at $60 a pop. It adds up. I plan to replace the wheel with 18” when the tires wear down. It’s just to much work to maintain the 20s. Every time I go to a supercharger, I see every car with 20” wheels covered in rash. Such a poor design. They look great but that is it. Every other category, the 18” win. Mileage, ride wheel protection......it’s a no-brainer imo.

It’s hilarious how much hate the 20s get. I’ve had my car 6 months now and have precisely zero curb rash, just like I had zero curb rash with my factory 19s on my Golf R, which everyone complained was a dreadful choice for the car etc etc.

Bottom line is if you curb your wheel, you damage it. Unless you have semi tires that stick out way beyond the hub, what do you expect? Pretty much every Aero-shod Model 3 I come across in Seattle is curbed to high heaven, too. Just don’t curb your damn wheels!

Bottom line is if you curb your wheel, you damage it. Unless you have semi tires that stick out way beyond the hub, what do you expect? Pretty much every Aero-shod Model 3 I come across in Seattle is curbed to high heaven, too. Just don’t curb your damn wheels!

Shearing it against a curb isn't the only action that scours or damages rims. I've had it happen due to potholes -- skinny enough tires and right shape of pothole will marr rims just the same -- which are practically unavoidable.

Shearing it against a curb isn't the only action that scours or damages rims. I've had it happen due to potholes -- skinny enough tires and right shape of pothole will marr rims just the same -- which are practically unavoidable.

That’s absolutely true, but far less common. The complaints I tend to read here about the 20s in terms of scrapes is literal curb rash, which is 100% avoidable if one is careful. Accidents happen, of course, but it is avoidable.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Did you end up needing to replace the tire too?

Free bump for your listing.

But you should have put it in the Tesla Parts For Sale Sub Forum.

There was a tiny chunk taken out of the tire, but I had new AS tires put on a few days later so that didn't matter either.

Speaking of which if anyone wants a set of 4 factory 20" performance summer tires cheap and lives in the area make me an offer. I don't need those either. They had less than 500 miles on them when I swapped them.

It’s hilarious how much hate the 20s get. I’ve had my car 6 months now and have precisely zero curb rash, just like I had zero curb rash with my factory 19s on my Golf R, which everyone complained was a dreadful choice for the car etc etc.

Yep. The 18’s with Aero’s have no problem rashing as well. I’ve hit the same tire in the same place twice and got quite the rash.