Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” Pilot Sport 4S tires: all-season??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire warranty is voided if driven in temps of 20 F or lower.
They are "summer performance" tires.

What warranty?
There is no warranty on tires!

And yes, they are "max performance summer" category, for sure, which was one of the value for me in the Performance upgrade on P3D+:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...19&autoModel=Model 3 Performance&autoModClar=

OP has traveled as far as Wyoming in his P85D and experienced -24ºC (-11ºF), so he needs at least all-season tires, if not proper winter tires :D

If OP drives to Wyoming in the winter, all-seasons will be worthless.
He needs proper snow tires!

Michelin PS4S also suck in snow btw, not that anyone is/should be surprised and driving in snow will void the warranty and potentially damage the rubber compound.

PS4's don't exactly suck in the snow, they just spin harmlessly, and keep the car safely in place!
You absolutely can NOT (and should not) drive over snow/ice on summer/performance tires. At least not past the nearest ditch. :D

a

What warranty?
There is no warranty on tires!

I mean, there is though.

Michelin said:
All MICHELIN® tires (both Replacement & Original Equipment) come with a limited warranty for treadwear, as well as a limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. Mileage treadwear warranties vary by tire line. For the specific mileage treadwear warranty for your MICHELIN® tire, see Michelin Brand Mileage Treadwear Warranties

The OEM warranty manual is here:

https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/editor/file/OE_Michelin Owners Manual Warranty MDW40307 REV 1118.pdf

If OP drives to Wyoming in the winter, all-seasons will be worthless.
He needs proper snow tires!

Interesting you say this, because I (the OP) drove to Wyoming on two different winters in my P85D which had the stock 19” Michelin Primacy MXM4 all-season tires, and it did just fine even with a foot of snow (including when it was -24°C!)

That speaks volumes to how well the AWD system in an dual-motor Tesla can be. Of course, it would be even better if I had winter tires, but I had zero issues with the all-seasons.

The 20" Tesla Model 3 "summer performance" tires are not meant for driving in snow or temperatures below 20 F.
The tires are not designed for cold temps and will crack. That is why they are not warrantied for under 20 F.
These are not all season or all weather tires.

The P85D with 19" Michelin "all Season tires" is a completely different situation. Those tires are rated "all Season".
The 20" Model 3 tires are rated "summer ONLY performance".
It is important to know the difference between "summer performance", "all seasons tires" and "all weather tires".
Summer performance tires are not designed for and should not be driven in snow or cold temperatures.
Many people order the Performance option for the model 3 because they want the bigger rims and brakes but do not realize that the tires are SUMMER ONLY. Tesla should offer an "all weather" tire option for the performance model.

So I finally did, just ordered a P3D+ after doing an extensive test drive. A bit too much body roll for my taste, especially coming from a P85D+, but nothing a good set of coilovers won’t be able to fix.

When I asked about the tires that are shipped by default from factory with the 20” wheels, I was told by 2 different sales folks AND 3 service techs that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are all-season tires..

All the research I’ve done seems to indicate that these tires are summer only. So now I’m really confused, which one is it??
I suggest you go to a larger tire, I just did this on the 19" and could not be happier, the car is much more sure footed in the corners and efficiency only took a 5% hit, 235's are a bit undersized for such a heavy car IMO, my speedo is still on at 80mph vs. my gps speedo phone app and comfort is improved with a little more sidewall.
This is the tire I used for its lighter weight vs. others (mine is the 255/40/19 though)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...0DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The 20" Tesla Model 3 "summer performance" tires are not meant for driving in snow or temperatures below 20 F.
The tires are not designed for cold temps and will crack. That is why they are not warrantied for under 20 F.
These are not all season or all weather tires.

The P85D with 19" Michelin "all Season tires" is a completely different situation. Those tires are rated "all Season".
The 20" Model 3 tires are rated "summer ONLY performance".
It is important to know the difference between "summer performance", "all seasons tires" and "all weather tires".
Summer performance tires are not designed for and should not be driven in snow or cold temperatures.
Many people order the Performance option for the model 3 because they want the bigger rims and brakes but do not realize that the tires are SUMMER ONLY. Tesla should offer an "all weather" tire option for the performance model.

Agreed, I was never suggesting that I would take summer tires into extremely cold temperatures, or even slightly cold weather with sketchy road conditions. I was just stating that in my experience, all-season tires with Tesla’s all-wheel drive system work just fine and extremely cold temperatures and snow conditions, so I don’t see a need for special winter tires.
My biggest gripe with all of this is that Tesla folks themselves are not warning their P3D customers that the tires they ship are unsuitable for cold weather, and even worse, some claim that they are all-season tires :eek:

I suggest you go to a larger tire, I just did this on the 19" and could not be happier, the car is much more sure footed in the corners and efficiency only took a 5% hit, 235's are a bit undersized for such a heavy car IMO, my speedo is still on at 80mph vs. my gps speedo phone app and comfort is improved with a little more sidewall.
This is the tire I used for its lighter weight vs. others (mine is the 255/40/19 though)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...0DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Thank you very much for the recommendation! Now I need to find a 19” wheels that work with the upgraded performance package. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for the recommendation! Now I need to find a 19” wheels that work with the upgraded performance package. Any suggestions?
The tire I linked is the 20" version that would work on your wheels and it weighs in at 24 lbs.vs. 23 lbs. for the stock 20" pilot sport 4s and load rating goes from 1,389 lbs. per tire to 1,609 lbs. so even without messing with your suspension you will likely perceive less body roll as the car will feel more planted in the corners but you can still go with the MPP coilovers to get it to the next level.

Did you read it?
"Michelin does not cover Original Equipment tires for mileage"​

Read the rest of the "WHAT IS NOT COVERED", and weep.
It's absolutely, gloriously, worthless.

Not just with Tesla, but with all cars and OEM tires.

TireRack is a good place to start:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/res...ance&autoYear=2019&autoModClar=&package=false

afadeev said:
Did you read it?
"Michelin does not cover Original Equipment tires for mileage"

Not sure why that matters? You claimed there was no warranty. That's wrong, there is one, and I provided a link to it. Nobody ever said it had anything to do with mileage.

There is no warranty on tires for anything that would benefit the car owner.
I'm not sure why you want to argue over this, but if you choose to continue, please site one useful benefit that paper warranty affords to a new car owner, other than a questionable source of toilet paper.

Other than staying round and inflated on the rims, the only thing tires are good for is staying that way for a reasonable length of time. And surviving encounters with the road hazards.

Without some form of road hazard or mileage coverage, any tire warranty is a joke, and the opposite of what a term "warranty" implies.

a

There is no warranty on tires for anything that would benefit the car owner.

Except, there is, I even linked you to Michelin telling you there is.

I'm not sure why you want to argue over this

Because your claim there was "no warranty" is factually wrong.

There's not even anything to argue about except your unwillingness to admit your mistake.