Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” wheels, recommended for U.K. roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A search will show the range of views .. the question comes up frequently. People who really like the look of 20" rims just have to decide if it's worth the extra risk of wheel/tyre damage. If it is then go for 20" if not then consider alternatives. If you are rarely driving on poor quality narrow roads then it probably reduces those risks a fair bit. The other issue that comes up is availability of winter tyre options in 20" size. If you are performance orientated then your tyre choices (summer/winter) will no doubt be a priority. I predict that most people will be happy with what they choose either way, unless they have an unlucky incident!

Reactions: pow216
If truth be known, low profile tyres on super sized rims is just a fashion. For road use, it's a borderline pointless gesture since side wall flex won't be an issue unless you are pushing very hard into corners. And I say this as someone who has had a share of doing it ;)

Maybe I'm becoming am old fart, but I really don't see the need for anything beyond 18" rims these days.

Reactions: 12Pack
Depends on where/when you’re driving.

Country roads in the dark with 20’s hasn’t worked for me.

I’d still struggle to go back and order the LR AWD or P- but I’m sure that’s the sensible if less blingy choice.

Even 19’s don’t give you much sidewall. I really want the 18” aero’s! They are so different too. And I’d definitely leave the covers on.

I really don’t see the issue other than the potential damage issue but you can still damage an 18 on a decent pothole unless you go for some proper tall sidewalls.

I find the 20s surprisingly compliant and I do most of my driving on B roads and back lanes. It’s a much softer ride than any of my other current or previous performance cars. I thinks it’s a bit too softly sprung but hides it well!

Reactions: R.A.G
I’m Struggling to decide between the 18” and 20”, the ideal would be to have the old 19’s, but they don’t seem to sell them anymore in the UK.

I seem to be settling on 18”’s I think, mainly due to

- more tyre choice and wanting to use CrossClimate tyres. 20” have very poor choice and are more expensive.
- having a young son and the last thing I want is damage to a tyre on a journey due to potholes.

if only Tesla allowed a little bit more configuration, I’d happily pay for a LR with 19” alloys, having less choice seems to make the decision of which version to go for even harder.

Scott

Reactions: pow216
I’ve got no complaints about the 20” wheels. The ride is far better than I was expecting and they look superb too, especially the silver ones. I do not drive like a maniac and so far I have not had my false teeth drop out on any potholes. I couldn’t be more pleased with my car's configuration. :cool:

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback, I too am a bit torn between the P and LR and it seems like the wheels may be the determining factor. May have to forgo the P in favour of lower risk on damaging rims. I have been taking more note of my daily commute roads in North Yorkshire recently and even A roads are not immune from significant holes.

decisions, decisions!!

If truth be known, low profile tyres on super sized rims is just a fashion. For road use, it's a borderline pointless gesture since side wall flex won't be an issue unless you are pushing very hard into corners. And I say this as someone who has had a share of doing it ;)

Maybe I'm becoming am old fart, but I really don't see the need for anything beyond 18" rims these days.
+1 - and not the old fart bit.
Larger wheels are just for looks. BTW, F1 tyres are high aspect ratio on 13" wheels
upload_2019-12-17_10-39-39.jpeg

There is also a genuine efficiency gain with the aeros. OK its only 5% max probably more like 3 but its something. Aeros look better in person than in pictures and the 18s themselves are not bad looking if you take the covers off. Have heard quite a few people say they were planning to do that then when they got it decided not to bother. Like them or not they do look different, futuristic even.

I really don’t see the issue other than the potential damage issue but you can still damage an 18 on a decent pothole unless you go for some proper tall sidewalls.

Very true ... the 18s still need care ... my last wheel write-off was a 16inch ... if you hit a bigun it's going to hurt no matter the wheel size! It's all compounded by the lack of sidewall in modern tyres of course. (I remember being absolutely staggered when I looked at a Porsche years ago with 50 series tyres, they looked so extreme!)

+1 - and not the old fart bit.
Larger wheels are just for looks. BTW, F1 tyres are high aspect ratio on 13" wheels
View attachment 489153

... and they still manage to go round corners...err... fairly quickly!! (Mind you, it should be acknowledged that the reason for the wheel/tyre size in F1 is specifically to do with the current formula regulations - they have no option. The teams would actually go for different sizes if the tyre wheel size was "open".)

The teams would actually go for different sizes if the tyre wheel size was "open"
Not so sure about that. The teams like the compliance available from the sidewall - it means that they can run nice stiff suspension. They are not looking forward to going to lower profile tyres in a couple of seasons. But they will get use to it, they all like a good old moan when regs change away from their optimisations.

Thank you for the feedback, I too am a bit torn between the P and LR and it seems like the wheels may be the determining factor. May have to forgo the P in favour of lower risk on damaging rims. I have been taking more note of my daily commute roads in North Yorkshire recently and even A roads are not immune from significant holes.

decisions, decisions!!
I went for the P for the initial looks, bigger brakes, extra performance etc. However, having had a couple of close shaves with "standard" potholes (not big uns) and got away with it, I purchased a set of 18s via the Tesla Facebook group buy and stuck some Michelin Cross Climate+ on them. They're not as pretty as the OEM 20s but still very smart and the ride is excellent - definitely smoother. I haven't checked range impact yet but I guess I'm gaining something there too. I'll also feel more confident when we're traveling down through France next year.

I'll stick the 20s back on for a hoon around in spring next year but I reckon the 18s will be on for maybe 8 months of the year. You can get the wheels, tyres and TPMS for less than £1.5k so worth it for a bit more confidence on our dodgy roads

I went for the P for the initial looks, bigger brakes, extra performance etc. However, having had a couple of close shaves with "standard" potholes (not big uns) and got away with it, I purchased a set of 18s via the Tesla Facebook group buy and stuck some Michelin Cross Climate+ on them. They're not as pretty as the OEM 20s but still very smart and the ride is excellent - definitely smoother. I haven't checked range impact yet but I guess I'm gaining something there too. I'll also feel more confident when we're traveling down through France next year.

I'll stick the 20s back on for a hoon around in spring next year but I reckon the 18s will be on for maybe 8 months of the year. You can get the wheels, tyres and TPMS for less than £1.5k so worth it for a bit more confidence on our dodgy roads

Not so sure about that. The teams like the compliance available from the sidewall - it means that they can run nice stiff suspension. They are not looking forward to going to lower profile tyres in a couple of seasons. But they will get use to it, they all like a good old moan when regs change away from their optimisations.

Yes, I'm sure they don't want to go to the other extreme either, just for appearance reasons, if they then lose that tyre wall suspension benefit. Anyway what's relevant to this thread is they've chosen 18inch wheels for F1 in 2021! Maybe the marketing people will like to claim that your performance car can then have F1 tyres :cool:.

The ride on the 20’s is considerably better than 20’s I’ve had on S spec Audi’s, and pretty similar to that of M spec BMW’s. In my view the ride is very compliant considering the minimal side wall, particularly on the absolutely atrocious road surfaces we have in the UK.

I agree with the points raised about wheel size being just for looks, but let’s face it, a lot of us buy cars based on the way they look. In my humble opinion, I find 18’s on the M3 to look a little lost in the arches.

If however my decision was based purely on practicality, 18s would obviously be the way to go.