Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10.5 months now with 23,000 miles. Full charge gives 255 rated miles. Have to replace tires around 25k miles. Can't do the exact math but roughly 60% of my charging is with 1.29 cents Georgia power ev rate, 25% charge at 10 cents and remaining at commercial charging rates with blink and chargepoint.

My car is a November/December baby and I am at ~15500mi started at 277-8 full rated on firmware v3.9 and the last full charge on 5.6 was 255-6mi rated (but still trickle charging). Firmware changes definitely change the SOC at different levels such as 50% or 90% and the full charge too. I have kept track of each change, example @ 90%
v4.5 90% 234 ( 6/12 @ 11k mi)
v5.0 90% 225 (8/13 @ 13k mi)
v5.6 90% 218 (10/13 @ 15k mi)
and the just before each change I was at the last 90% charge number so it isn't time/miles related just firmware IMO

You're doing better than me. I'm at 29300mi on v5.6.2 and my 90% charge is 203, 100% charge is 231

20.000 is great. How often did you have to buy new tires since getting the car?

Thanks for replying

Yeah if you can post the maintenance (mostly tires but in case something else) with electricity cost will help future buyer overall picture...

I am trying to get more info on cost of ownership with following possible expenses... if anybody care to share please post.

Total Miles/month driven:
Lost in mileage:
Tire change:
Out of warranty cost:
Insurance:
home charger installation:
Misc:

TesS turns 1yr old tomorrow. I took delivery with 65 miles.

Some milestone pictures:

Car
20000Miles_Car.jpg

& Driver
20000Miles_Driver.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the national average was around 12k. So how is 20k "regular"?

Regular in the sense that you nailed 20k miles on the eve of your car's anniversary.
Regular for you (20k/yr) may not be regular for everyone. I doubt we'll be seeing many
people hitting EXACTLY 20k on their year anniversary. That's what I was trying to point out.

Regular in the sense that you nailed 20k miles on the eve of your car's anniversary.
Regular for you (20k/yr) may not be regular for everyone. I doubt we'll be seeing many
people hitting EXACTLY 20k on their year anniversary. That's what I was trying to point out.
I think I almost understand now.

FWIW, I normally put 6-7k miles on a car per year. Model S is a completely different animal.

2a5esuze.jpg

I hit 20k on the way home from work. Thought I would have hit it last Friday but what can you do.

Car will be a year on 1-8-14

----

Just finished charging so the kWh/mi is quite high.

Also, got the car with 45 miles on it if I remember correctly so trip B was reset right around then...

Last edited:
My car is a November/December baby and I am at ~15500mi started at 277-8 full rated on firmware v3.9 and the last full charge on 5.6 was 255-6mi rated (but still trickle charging). Firmware changes definitely change the SOC at different levels such as 50% or 90% and the full charge too. I have kept track of each change, example @ 90%
v4.5 90% 234 ( 6/12 @ 11k mi)
v5.0 90% 225 (8/13 @ 13k mi)
v5.6 90% 218 (10/13 @ 15k mi)
and the just before each change I was at the last 90% charge number so it isn't time/miles related just firmware IMO

I just hit my year anniversary with about 21000 miles and I've seen similar number changes. I agree its mostly software. Err... firmware?

Last edited:
I hit 20k on Thursday. A pic from today.

WP_20131217_005.jpg

Snowball II will be one year on the 21st of January. And I didn't drive it for 7 weeks of the year!

And the 12V is getting replaced as I type this. I knew for a long time that I would have to change it out. Got the message this morning on the way to work.

Oh and recently I have given up on even trying to keep my Wh/mi lowish. I blast heat, and drive as fast as I want pretty much all the time now. Versus only sparingly before.