Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my car ten months ago yesterday, and passed 20,000 miles two days ago. Exactly 2000 miles/month, and here's the data that will help a prospective buyer get a sense for real world range, specifically in New England Boston Area):

Miles: 20,000
Average energy: 335 wh/mile (309wh/mile entire summer, 303wh/mile since labor day).
6600 kWh Total energy used.
Less than $400 at our local rate.
Telling you there's nothing more fun.

Last edited:
Additional data:

SUMMER DRIVING (Memorial Day to September 21st):
7,532 miles,
2330 kWh total,
Average 309 wh/mile.

LONGEST TRIP: 1400 miles.
Fastest speed: I'd rather not say.

Best range: 310 miles/full charge.
Slept in the car: one night.

Highest elevation: 6,298 feet, on Mt Washington August 5th, with a bunch of other Tesla Zealots.

First Car Show: Cars and Copters with yet another group of TMC Zealots.

Most fun in a Tesla: filling the car with everyone's luggage, and loading in the three kids, me lovely wife and loyal dog, and heading on vacation, with plenty of room and nothing at anyone's feet or on anyone's lap.

Most fun in a Tesla (did I cover this?): Blasting Derek Truks' Sweet Inspiration and cranking from zero to whatever with the top open and windows down, heat on high, world flying by. Recommended for all - Really.

Most fun in a Tesla (huh?): each morning, cup of coffee, car in reverse, I start to silently ease backwards out of the garage, and - as I look in the rear view mirror - the door handles smoothly retract with a nod, and calmly note: "Ready for Liftoff".

Last edited:
Received my car ten months ago yesterday, and passed 20,000 miles two days ago. Exactly 2000 miles/month, and here's the data that will help a prospective buyer get a sense for real world range, specifically in New England Boston Area):

Miles: 20,000
Average energy: 335 wh/mile (303wh/mile since labor day).
6600 kWh Total energy used.
Less than $400 at our local rate.
Telling you there's nothing more fun.
You're just a bit farther along than I am mileage/mo wise. I got mine 10 months ago on the 3rd of October averaging around 1900 miles per month (a high of 3000 one month).
What's your range charge maxing out at? Mine's charging to 258 miles, but it will stay at 258 for about 4-5 miles before dropping to 257.

EV, not sure of my range charge now - been a while since I max charged. Indeed I often charge to only 140 miles or so as that is all I need most days, even with insurance mileage (impromptu red sox game, trip to the cape, etc). Will max charge tomorrow if I have a chance and report back to you.

EV, not sure of my range charge now - been a while since I max charged. Indeed I often charge to only 140 miles or so as that is all I need most days, even with insurance mileage (impromptu red sox game, trip to the cape, etc). Will max charge tomorrow if I have a chance and report back to you.

Not necessary unless you're just curious too. I, too, have been using a bit lower charge level--usually 180-200 for daily driving as i rarely go over 100 miles in daily driving--usually closer to 50. But we do take fairly frequent longer drives too--just put on 450 miles on a round trip to Little Rock and back this weekend.

You're just a bit farther along than I am mileage/mo wise. I got mine 10 months ago on the 3rd of October averaging around 1900 miles per month (a high of 3000 one month).
What's your range charge maxing out at? Mine's charging to 258 miles, but it will stay at 258 for about 4-5 miles before dropping to 257.

Evan,
I just passed 24,000 miles and my range charge only gets me 252 to 254 now. I used to see 264. Like you I've noticed range holds for awhile before begnning to drop. Not sure if this is donto normal reduction based on number os miles driven or if this was a result of 5.0 upgrade and change in calculation method.

Evan,
I just passed 24,000 miles and my range charge only gets me 252 to 254 now. I used to see 264. Like you I've noticed range holds for awhile before begnning to drop. Not sure if this is donto normal reduction based on number os miles driven or if this was a result of 5.0 upgrade and change in calculation method.

I'm still on 4.5, so it's not that. I started at 272 and remember seeing that for a long time, somewhere along the line it dropped to 262 and for the past few months 258 has been the number.

Most fun in a Tesla (did I cover this?): Blasting Derek Truks' Sweet Inspiration and cranking from zero to whatever with the top open and windows down, heat on high, world flying by. Recommended for all - Really.

nice! TTB and DTB is some fantastic music. I can't wait to get my P85 in a few weeks and do the same :) Or better yet, catch them in Asheville again, but this time taking my MS :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still on 4.5, so it's not that. I started at 272 and remember seeing that for a long time, somewhere along the line it dropped to 262 and for the past few months 258 has been the number.
That seems like a lot of loss given the mileage. is that normal?

nice! TTB and DTB is some fantastic music. I can't wait to get my P85 in a few weeks and do the same :) Or better yet, catch them in Asheville again, but this time taking my MS :)

Hey that is great. Will be watching the delivery stories thread for your pics. Meantime, what are gas stations like these days? Gas still about $3.65 a gallon?. Think that's what it was last year when I last pumped gas. I am in New Hampshire, and I could reach New York City from here on less than that, with a little Superchar,ge along the way...

You will not miss pumping gas, no no...

- - - Updated - - -

That seems like a lot of loss given the mileage. is that normal?

Not necessarily an indication of the battery losing capacity. Could also be recalculating and changes due to the software upgrade (5.6 lowered my range charge)

My car is a November/December baby and I am at ~15500mi started at 277-8 full rated on firmware v3.9 and the last full charge on 5.6 was 255-6mi rated (but still trickle charging). Firmware changes definitely change the SOC at different levels such as 50% or 90% and the full charge too. I have kept track of each change, example @ 90%
v4.5 90% 234 ( 6/12 @ 11k mi)
v5.0 90% 225 (8/13 @ 13k mi)
v5.6 90% 218 (10/13 @ 15k mi)
and the just before each change I was at the last 90% charge number so it isn't time/miles related just firmware IMO