TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

20" Aftermarket Wheels - Decisions Decisions!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by StingSC10, May 20, 2013.

1. StingSC10

StingSC10 Member

#1 StingSC10, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
    I've been spending entirely too many hours on the internet recently researching wheels for my soon-to-be-delivered MS. I've settled on the fact that I want 20" wheels and have narrowed my choice to two different styles from TSW. I'm now trying to consider which wheel to choose - taking into account weight vs. style. From what I've read, the stock 19" wheel weights approximately 30 lbs so both of these should be lighter. The two choices are:

Option #1: TSW Jerez - 28 lbs
    http://ver1.iconfigurators.com/createpdf.aspx?user=5155969&wheel=24498938&config=4316645&tire=0
    WhiteMS-Jerez.jpg

Option #2: TSW Interlago - 23 lbs
    http://ver1.iconfigurators.com/createpdf.aspx?user=5155969&wheel=24499155&config=4316645&tire=0
    WhiteMS-Interlagos.jpg

I would love to get some feedback on both of these wheels with anyone that has knowledge of how aftermarket wheels affect the MS handling and range. I have a 40 kwh MS so the last thing I want to do is shorten my current range but even if these wheels cause more "drag" I would think the lighter weight could overcome that. No way to really know - unless someone has experience. For what it's worth, the Jerez is more expensive and heavier - but I like the look of it better and am leaning toward the Jerez.

Looking forward to any feedback and tips before I decide to purchase.

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I'm curious how 7lbs off the wheels makes any difference at all on a 4700 lb car.

I think you'd get the most range on thinner tires, just for wind resistance.

3. Sunfishsolar.ca

What about these from the tirerack, light also. I painted them, they come in black.

Attached Files:

4. rpavlicek

rpavlicek ***** Neophyte

The "Jerez" (First picture) are by far better than the second.

I might go get a set myself!

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Getting lighter wheels won't effect range much at all. If you're interested in better range, I'd try to find some 225 width tires that are LRR. I tend to think that the aerodynamics of the wheel are more important than weight when it comes to range/efficiency.

6. Soflason

Soflason Member

Sunfish and Sting - both very sharp looks for the Model S :cool:

7. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Love the first one!

8. elektrikS

elektrikS Member

I posted a pic of my Model S with 20" wheels in a different thread

1766 / 40-60kWh / Black / Tan / Obeche Gloss / Pano / Tech / Air / 20x9 +35 Machined / Tint TBD

9. SouthJerseyJon

This is mine with new 20s in staggered fitament.

1373377258731.jpg

10. jat

jat Member

I put BBS CH-R 20x9 and 265/35R20 g-Force Rivals on my car. I wrote up my experience taking it to the track on G+.
    IMG_20130820_102146.jpg

Attached Files:

11. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

1st one looks better. I like the BBS as well. Thinking of getting a set of 20" and get rid of my 21" for tire saving cost.