TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

20" Aftermarket Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by kirkbauer, Nov 29, 2015.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

#1 kirkbauer, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    After blowing out two 21" tires on one pothole I'm reconsidering my wheel situation on my P85D. On one hand I'm considering buying a whole second set of 21" turbines on the cheap so I will have some backup wheels for the next time. But then I'm also considering aftermarket 20" options.

Note that I have a non-staggered P85D.

Besides looks what are the pros and cons of going with aftermarket 20" wheels? Any effect on handling, noise, comfort, tire cost, range, etc?

How much should I consider weight when choosing a 20" wheel? What's the weight on the 21" turbines?

2. gnelson

gnelson Member

I am trying to decide if the 20 in Model X wheels would be a good option to maintain my staggered configuration and allow a little higher profile tire. there are more tire sizes available for 20 in wheels than the 21 in wheels.

3. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

#3 vitaliy, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    I was picking 20" wheels for a while, and I'm going with Niche Ascari 20" monoblock forged in glossy black. Plus 40" tires.

PS: Model S wasn't delivered yet, but the look I'm going for is well represented here:
    ferrari f12 ascari 4.jpg ferrari f12 ascari 3.jpg ferrari f12 ascari 1.jpg ferrari f12 ascari 2.jpg

4. Jian Yang

Jian Yang Member

Quoting a reply from Tesla to a member asking about 20" wheel.

"switch to 20 inch rims, you might risk damaging the Tesla’s body structure. And in doing so, because the damage is caused by a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]party product, will as a result void the warranty."

5. KirkDavis

KirkDavis Member

Nice.. of course anything would look good on that car :)

6. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

Model S render:
    cHtOBjoWxzQ.jpg

7. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Hmm, that's concerning...

8. ndhaon91

ndhaon91 Member

Not really. That's just standard language they use with respect to pretty much anything aftermarket. Why would there be risk to the body structure on 20" wheels, but somehow not on either 19" or 21"?

9. Vince Cobelo

Vince Cobelo Member

I read in another thread that 21" tends to rub the fender well when the wheel is turned and the car is in reverse. That 20" gives a bit more clearance eliminating the problem. I'll go with 20's once my OEM 19 tires wear out.

10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

11. GSP

GSP Member

Try doing a search for aftermarket wheels here at TMC. There are several treads with some great suggestions. Lolachampcar has a really sweet looking set, and they are 20" if I remember correctly.

GSP

12. gelden

gelden Active Member

I really like the 20"Borbet BLX Black/polished on my car:

IMG_5003 (Medium).JPG IMG_5002 (Medium).JPG IMG_5005 (Medium).JPG

13. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I had 21s and they would rub the fender well when turning in reverse (like backing out of a driveway or parking spot). Also, it seems to be slightly worse if the car is in HIGH suspension (if you have air suspension). If you can limit how hard you turn it will not rub. I am now on 20s and it still rubs like the 21s did.

14. benf

benf Member

The overall diameter of your TIRE should never change regardless of which WHEEL you choose (19, 20, or 21). There is an OEM overall diameter that you should stay as close to as possible to keep the speedo accurate. As you decrease the wheel diameter, the sidewall of the tire just gets bigger to compensate. This means you have more cushion between the road and your wheels. It *should* under equal circumstances, mean your wheels are better protected from potholes and also improve ride quality. Of course, the particular tire you choose also makes a huge difference.

As for the rubbing, that has more to do with tire width than the diameter of the wheel. If you get slightly narrower tires they will not rub. Tires from different manufacturers, or even just different models of tires from the same manufacturer, in the same size (like 245) will all have slightly different section widths (the actual width of the tire). The wider the section width, the more likely it will be to rub. Of course there are other factors, like the offset of your wheels, etc.

Bottom line...wheel diameter is going to make almost no difference in terms of the rubbing.

• Informative x 1
  15. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

They look great, thanks for sharing.

16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Interesting result ... what are your tire specifications?

17. benjiejr

245/40/20 in front and 285/35/20 in rear

18. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

2015 P85D
    roughly 10 lbs per wheel lighter
    a little more than 1/2 what Tesla wants for their 21" set up (and I get to put my brandy new 19s back on the car when I sell it)
    Pilot Super Sport with longer wear AND more grip

What is not to like :)

19. benjiejr

Nothing! Love the style and the stance!

20. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Best part was it was downright affordable.