Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After blowing out two 21" tires on one pothole I'm reconsidering my wheel situation on my P85D. On one hand I'm considering buying a whole second set of 21" turbines on the cheap so I will have some backup wheels for the next time. But then I'm also considering aftermarket 20" options.

Note that I have a non-staggered P85D.

Besides looks what are the pros and cons of going with aftermarket 20" wheels? Any effect on handling, noise, comfort, tire cost, range, etc?

How much should I consider weight when choosing a 20" wheel? What's the weight on the 21" turbines?

Last edited:
I was picking 20" wheels for a while, and I'm going with Niche Ascari 20" monoblock forged in glossy black. Plus 40" tires.

PS: Model S wasn't delivered yet, but the look I'm going for is well represented here:
ferrari f12 ascari 4.jpg
ferrari f12 ascari 3.jpg
ferrari f12 ascari 1.jpg
ferrari f12 ascari 2.jpg

Last edited:
Quoting a reply from Tesla to a member asking about 20" wheel.

"switch to 20 inch rims, you might risk damaging the Tesla’s body structure. And in doing so, because the damage is caused by a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]party product, will as a result void the warranty."

Try doing a search for aftermarket wheels here at TMC. There are several treads with some great suggestions. Lolachampcar has a really sweet looking set, and they are 20" if I remember correctly.

GSP

I read in another thread that 21" tends to rub the fender well when the wheel is turned and the car is in reverse. That 20" gives a bit more clearance eliminating the problem. I'll go with 20's once my OEM 19 tires wear out.

I had 21s and they would rub the fender well when turning in reverse (like backing out of a driveway or parking spot). Also, it seems to be slightly worse if the car is in HIGH suspension (if you have air suspension). If you can limit how hard you turn it will not rub. I am now on 20s and it still rubs like the 21s did.

I read in another thread that 21" tends to rub the fender well when the wheel is turned and the car is in reverse. That 20" gives a bit more clearance eliminating the problem. I'll go with 20's once my OEM 19 tires wear out.

The overall diameter of your TIRE should never change regardless of which WHEEL you choose (19, 20, or 21). There is an OEM overall diameter that you should stay as close to as possible to keep the speedo accurate. As you decrease the wheel diameter, the sidewall of the tire just gets bigger to compensate. This means you have more cushion between the road and your wheels. It *should* under equal circumstances, mean your wheels are better protected from potholes and also improve ride quality. Of course, the particular tire you choose also makes a huge difference.

As for the rubbing, that has more to do with tire width than the diameter of the wheel. If you get slightly narrower tires they will not rub. Tires from different manufacturers, or even just different models of tires from the same manufacturer, in the same size (like 245) will all have slightly different section widths (the actual width of the tire). The wider the section width, the more likely it will be to rub. Of course there are other factors, like the offset of your wheels, etc.

Bottom line...wheel diameter is going to make almost no difference in terms of the rubbing.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and bradjc
I had 21s and they would rub the fender well when turning in reverse (like backing out of a driveway or parking spot).
Also, it seems to be slightly worse if the car is in HIGH suspension (if you have air suspension). If you can limit how hard you turn it will not rub. I am now on 20s and it still rubs like the 21s did.

Interesting result ... what are your tire specifications?