Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" contisilents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading through the forums that the OEM tires can be repaired if you follow the special instruction on how to repair a nail in these tires. What I'm curious about is if you try to plug the tire using a regular tire plug kit, will this still work?? Or do you have to remove the tire, remove a piece of the foam, etc.

I'm just trying to prepare myself for what's best if I get a puncture and I'm in the middle of nowhere. I have a regular plug kit and an air compressor in the car that I keep with me...just checking to see if that's enough.

Thanks!!

Reactions: Bogobec
I have been reading through the forums that the OEM tires can be repaired if you follow the special instruction on how to repair a nail in these tires. What I'm curious about is if you try to plug the tire using a regular tire plug kit, will this still work?? Or do you have to remove the tire, remove a piece of the foam, etc.

I'm just trying to prepare myself for what's best if I get a puncture and I'm in the middle of nowhere. I have a regular plug kit and an air compressor in the car that I keep with me...just checking to see if that's enough.

Thanks!!

If you're plugging, plug it as normal. The one thing I do as an extra step is I use a drill instead of a hand tool to clean out the hole and make sure I get through the foam.

If you're patching, you will need to cut out the foam before you clean and patch. You can then decide if you want to reattach the foam or not.

I've patched once, and plugged half a dozen times so far. I just replaced my 20" Contisilents due to wear at 30,000 miles - first plug was around 4,000 miles and didn't have any issues with plugging with this method.

If you're plugging, plug it as normal. The one thing I do as an extra step is I use a drill instead of a hand tool to clean out the hole and make sure I get through the foam.

If you're patching, you will need to cut out the foam before you clean and patch. You can then decide if you want to reattach the foam or not.

I've patched once, and plugged half a dozen times so far. I just replaced my 20" Contisilents due to wear at 30,000 miles - first plug was around 4,000 miles and didn't have any issues with plugging with this method.

Thanks for the feedback!! I'll just keep a compressor and a plug kit in the car with me then.

Thanks!!
The plug will work fine as long as it's not in the sidewall.
What won't work, as reported by others on the forum, is Slime or any liquid sealant. Apparently the foam interferes with that.
I have a plug kit, needle nose pliers for pulling the nail or screw, 12V air pump and pocket knife (cutting excess plug) in the trunk of the car.

The plug will work fine as long as it's not in the sidewall.
What won't work, as reported by others on the forum, is Slime or any liquid sealant. Apparently the foam interferes with that.
I have a plug kit, needle nose pliers for pulling the nail or screw, 12V air pump and pocket knife (cutting excess plug) in the trunk of the car.

What plug kit are you using?