TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

20 Days Later

Discussion in 'Model X' started by gonzonia, Aug 24, 2018.

1. gonzonia

gonzonia New Member

I picked up my Model X here in Tampa on Aug. 4. Went through one of the checklists and everything was good for the most part. There were some small dings on the chrome trim by a couple of the windows and they swapped them out right there.
    Overall I love this car. I'm not a car person, but I am a gadget person. I've never understood people calling a car "fun" to drive until now.

Now the problems...
    A couple of weeks later and some of that trim is slipping off randomly. I just need to push it back into place, but slightly annoying.

I also notice some of the carpet in the trunk wasn't secured properly.

Today, the A/C died. I was at an appointment and when I came out and started the car the system rebooted. When it came back up it was blowing heat. I got home and called them and they had me reboot again. Same thing. I took it over and they'll hold it for the weekend and take a look on Monday. They'll also address the other issues.

What's kind of disappointing though (even though I understand it) is that they gave me a Nissan Altima as a loaner. I hate it after driving the Model X the last few weeks.

I'd also like to smack the person who gave me a nice dent. IMG_4154.jpg
    It still has the temporary tag.

2. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

That burns me up that people would do that and just leave. Let us know what the cause of the A/C issues are. That's one of my biggest fears here in FL.

3. dethman

dethman Member

Oh man sorry about that dent, that would be painful 3 weeks in to ownership. Even worse is the time the car may be out of service for parts.

Regarding the problems, unfortunately it seems par for the course. Some people here on this forum though would have you believe that problems on the X dont really exist and just made up.

4. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

That dent looks painful :(

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like AC problems are somewhat common, but it also sounds like they have gotten pretty good at diagnosing and fixing issues. I'd expect that you'll be getting your X back sometime next week with the issues fixed. Hard to say when though. Once they have your car at the shop, it's a little out of your control when they actually look at the car. Hopefully they look at it first thing in the morning.

Weird about a nissan altima. I guess they just didn't have any loaners? In this summer heat, it's not really like you could afford to wait until a loaner was available though :(

They could have at least gotten you a BMW M5 or something. Tell them you want a new rental car! :D

5. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

At least they gave you a loaner. My local BMW dealer often does not have any loaners or rental cars. Call Uber.

6. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

MX a/c failed many an owner early on.
    In my case it was "pinched o rings and d rings" they replaced and never had a problem again.

The dent.....total bummer. Dash cam man, don't waste time on anything else.

Enjoy your ride.....

7. spectrum

spectrum Member

Took delivery of a 100D 2 weeks ago. The chrome trim on the front doors slips out especially when rolling windows up. I would recommend getting that checked out, because it caused a major issue for me on the road when it fell out and the window came out. Tesla will have to replace the chrome piece, entire rubber seal, and maybe your door panel.

My A/C doesn't seem as effective as a car like this should, and makes some weird boiling/gargling sounds at low fan speeds. It also leaks a ton of water (condensation, but way more than I expected). I hope my A/C doesn't die :confused:

8. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

You mean drips on the ground? It is SUPPOSED to do that. Actually, the more, the better. In fact if it doesn’t drip, it means it is not working and likely not cooling well.

9. spectrum

spectrum Member

That's true, but what about the weird bubbling/boiling sound and the fact that it doesn't really get that cool in the first place? Sometimes if I turn it on using the app, it will never reach 72 degrees. It hovers around 76 at best, and even then takes about 30 minutes to get there.

10. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

I have no idea regarding your sounds (perhaps you could post some audio). It is a fairly simple procedure to measure the A/C output temperature and determine its cooling efficiency. But if it is not effectively cooling things, it will produce much more water when you fix it. Good luck!

As an aside, I had an extended X test drive in mid 2017. One of the things I noted in the demo, was the rather anemic A/C performance. Didn’t bother me much at the time. But the 2018 I ended up with, the A/C is terrific. If it happens to be hot, the noise outside is really loud. But it is working hard.

11. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

That sounds wrong to me for sure. I can get the car to 68 easily in 100 degree Austin summer if I need to. I usually cool it to 72, but it gets there. Yours being stuck at 76 does not seem right

12. gonzonia

gonzonia New Member

So here's the result for anyone curious. Spectrum, I was already having issue with the chrome trip slipping and brought that up as well as an issue with a trunk line. You'll see those below as well.
    Job Number

Concern: Customer: AC not blowing cold air.
    Corrections: Cabin HVAC General Diagnosis

Tested operation of A/C system. Confirmed A/C has poor cooling performance. Performed inspection of A/C refrigerant level. Found refrigerant level to be within specification with no leaks present. Performed thermal system test. Found optimal results. Reviewed vehicle log data. Log data indicated low refrigerant pressure and temperature sensor to have faulty operation. Replaced low refrigerant pressure and temperature sensor. Performed additional function testing. Verified A/C system is now operating as expected with no fault or alerts present.

Corrections: Pressure Transducer - Low Pressure
    Removed and replaced low refrigerant pressure and temperature sensor. Verified correct operation.

Parts Replaced or Added
    SNSR - REFRIGERANT PRESS AND TEMP - 1 LOW (1008515-00-B)

Corrections: Thermal System Test
    Performed thermal system test. Found optimal results.

Concern: Customer: Driver front door window bright molding keeps popping off.
    Corrections: Exterior Trim General Diagnosis

Performed inspection of left front door trim. Confirmed left front door outer belt seal is loose. Removed outer belt seal and applied friction tape. Reinstalled outer belt seal. Verified left front door trim is now properly fitted.

Corrections: Seal - Door Front Outer Belt - LH
    Removed left front door outer belt seal. Applied friction tape and reinstalled seal. Verified proper fitment.

Concern: Customer: Trunk liner is not sealed in place.
    Corrections: Liftgate Trim General Diagnosis

Performed inspection of liftgate trim. Confirmed trunk liner is poorly fitted. Ordered replacement trunk liner. Customer will be contacted to schedule Mobile Service appointment once part arrives to Service Center.

• Love x 1