Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" forged wheels weight reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had these Volks wheels on my S for almost 50k miles and I love them, they are light weight but much wider than the S 19" stock wheels. Therefore, I still lose about 5 to 8% range with these wheels on my S, but not by much.

After I traded in my S for the X75D, I was trying to sell my Volks because I didn't realize they would fit the X with stock 20" tires. I am so glad I didn't let them go because they fit my X and are much lighter than the stock 20"wheels. here are the specs in terms of weight.

Stock 20" weight: Front 30.7lb (wheel) 62lb (with tire), Rear 32.4lb (wheel) 64.3 (with tire)
Volks 20" weight: Front 23.7lb (wheel) 54.9lb (with tire), Rear 24.3lb (wheel) 55.5 (with tire)

Weight of tire only: Front 31.2lb, Rear 31.5bls
Weight reduction: Front -7.1lb, Rear -8.8lb

I have not get a chance to drive much yet, but the car feels a bit quicker and I expect to gain at least 5% range which would be nice.
IMG_20170213_165052_HDR.jpg

I don't know the load rating, but I am sure they are way stronger than the X stock 20inch.

Strength isn't the same thing as load rating. As "strong" as something might be--- if a 880kg elephant sits on top of it, will it collapse under the weight/pressure? That is what @yearofthedragon was trying to say. OEM wheels on a Tesla Model X carry a 880kg load rating.

Google image searches of Volk TE37 forged wheels (which is what you appear to have here) are 690kg load rating. That is 1,521 lbs-- which is not enough for a Tesla Model S nor Model X. In this case here the Model X has a gross vehicle weight of 6,768 pounds. meaning the whole vehicle can handle it's own curb weight plus additional weight for a grand total of that amount. To put it another way, the weight of the vehicle itself PLUS your passengers/luggage should never exceed a total of 6,768 or the components might collapse under the pressure.

When shopping for wheels/tires it is something people often forget to look into-- will these wheels/tires work okay? Think also about the pressure when you put the car not just under load, but under suspension travel and other factors. Bottom line: if the wheels you have are ever subjected to weight beyond what they are rated for, they could crack/fail and cause the car to go off path, injuring or killing those inside your vehicle, or those around you. Wheel failure with aftermarket wheels is more common than people think, though more common under race conditions-- but still heavy loads in an SUV like this, too.

Since the Tesla has a roughly 49/51 split, we'll assume for discussion purposes that half the weight is front/back (50/50) and take 6,678 % 2 = 3,384 lbs. That means each front wheel would then hold the load of half that, or 1,692 lbs or 767 kg. Again that is the MAX Load-- but the vehicle itself is only ~5,441 lbs. So driving down the road, each corner is only handling 1,360 lbs without addd load. If you weigh 200 lbs then the driver corner is "almost" (again these are VERY rough approximations) handling 1,560 lbs--- more than your wheels, if indeed they are 690kg.

Will it work? Perhaps. Can they handle more load than rated? Likely some, but how much, and for how long before they stress crack? Just food for thought.... look for a stamped ###kg somewhere on the wheel... likely 690kg or a number like that. And then make your judgment call from there. Tesla chose 880kg load rated wheels... do you trust going lower than what the manufacturer used?

Here is another interesting link:
The Tesla Model S Wheel Guide - Tsportline

T-Sportline opted to make wheels from the ground up, specially for the Model S. They went with 1,650 lbs load rating. Google says the Model S has a 5,710 GVWR max total load. Again assuming just for sake of discussion a 50/50 weight split, that is 1,430 lbs per corner, roughly. IMO that is probably the lowest I'd go (750kg) on a Model S -- but on the SUV, 880kg is probably a good floor to stay above.

I'm looking for some forged 20 X 9's I have spent hours scouring the internet for some lightweight, but strong (900kg) max load would work.

Its been a frustrating task as the vendors don't disclose wheel weight, Max load and play games with the Forging process using terms like Roller forged, Rotary forged, flow cast forged etc.. (which aren't forged).

Budget is $1K per wheel, I like these but they aren't forged. Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW

Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW

I prefer forged 6061-T6 Aluminum - single block

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowby
@arijaycomet thank you for your detail explanation, and I am not too concern with the wheels. I had them on my S for almost 50k miles and they performed very well.

Now base on your assumption, the wheel will roughly handling 1560 lbs and Volks wheel load rating is 690kg =1520lbs. I am not concern about a 40lbs difference. Further more, I have a 75d with 5 seat configuration, the X should weight closer to 5000lbs + 500lb cargo/passengers. Divide by 4 = 1375lb which now put me below 690kg.

Anyway, I can't find the load rating from my wheel, there is no mark and it would be nice to know to keep that in mind.

Btw, the reduced weight from my wheels give me roughly 8% increase in efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: Xmama
I'm looking for some forged 20 X 9's I have spent hours scouring the internet for some lightweight, but strong (900kg) max load would work. ((SNIP)) Budget is $1K per wheel ((SNIP)) I prefer forged 6061-T6 Aluminum - single block

@Xenoilphobe have you tried Rotiform or 1552?
Fifteen52 = Forged Wheels
Rotiform = Wheel Collection - ROTIFORM WHEELS
Both of those places would do custom wheels. I think 1552 would be able to do forged 20x9 for around $1k each-- give them a shout, Brad is good people there.

You could also reach out to @Tsportline -- they posted above in this thread. I don't know that they offer a 20" wheel that is forged (versus cast) but if they have access to forging wheels, maybe they would make a custom wheel for you?

Speaking of which... @Tsportline have a question for you pertinent to this thread. What is the lowest load rating you suggest for the Model X? Obviously your cast wheel is 900kg as listed above -- the two Model X options you appear to make are 900kg load rating. Is that because you felt going any lower was ill advised? Curious.

And for the OP @dark I think you are likely okay/safe -- but of course just be safe. If you have 50k miles on your Model S there, good. Though any "cracking" could be hard to see or not visible to naked eye. But as you said being smaller battery, less seats, and if you never fully load it, etc. Just be careful should you ever want to load her up to the gills-- safety first! :)

Reactions: Cowby
@Xenoilphobe have you tried Rotiform or 1552?
Fifteen52 = Forged Wheels
Rotiform = Wheel Collection - ROTIFORM WHEELS
Both of those places would do custom wheels. I think 1552 would be able to do forged 20x9 for around $1k each-- give them a shout, Brad is good people there.

You could also reach out to @Tsportline -- they posted above in this thread. I don't know that they offer a 20" wheel that is forged (versus cast) but if they have access to forging wheels, maybe they would make a custom wheel for you?

Speaking of which... @Tsportline have a question for you pertinent to this thread. What is the lowest load rating you suggest for the Model X? Obviously your cast wheel is 900kg as listed above -- the two Model X options you appear to make are 900kg load rating. Is that because you felt going any lower was ill advised? Curious.

And for the OP @dark I think you are likely okay/safe -- but of course just be safe. If you have 50k miles on your Model S there, good. Though any "cracking" could be hard to see or not visible to naked eye. But as you said being smaller battery, less seats, and if you never fully load it, etc. Just be careful should you ever want to load her up to the gills-- safety first! :)

@arijaycomet thanks for the links, once I sorted through the non-forged options they really didn't have any in the style that are High-Quality Forged (6061-T6 Aircraft grade) mono block forged wheels.

I am looking for something more like this without the blue tint -- 1 Set of Iridescent Forged Wheel Rims 19 x 8.5 5 x 120mm CB 72.6 Fits BMW Sedan | eBay. Again no specs on testing, weight, etc and the fact that they are made in China makes me pause on dropping ~$2K without any idea of what I am really getting. Anyone ever hear of CARDUKE FORGED, their website cracks me up with all the grammar issues!!!!

Last edited:
@arijaycomet thank you for your detail explanation, and I am not too concern with the wheels. I had them on my S for almost 50k miles and they performed very well.

Now base on your assumption, the wheel will roughly handling 1560 lbs and Volks wheel load rating is 690kg =1520lbs. I am not concern about a 40lbs difference. Further more, I have a 75d with 5 seat configuration, the X should weight closer to 5000lbs + 500lb cargo/passengers. Divide by 4 = 1375lb which now put me below 690kg.

Anyway, I can't find the load rating from my wheel, there is no mark and it would be nice to know to keep that in mind.

Btw, the reduced weight from my wheels give me roughly 8% increase in efficiency.
I think you are underestimating the eight. I think 6000 lbs is a better estimate for total weight

Strength isn't the same thing as load rating. As "strong" as something might be--- if a 880kg elephant sits on top of it, will it collapse under the weight/pressure? That is what @yearofthedragon was trying to say. OEM wheels on a Tesla Model X carry a 880kg load rating.

Google image searches of Volk TE37 forged wheels (which is what you appear to have here) are 690kg load rating. That is 1,521 lbs-- which is not enough for a Tesla Model S nor Model X. In this case here the Model X has a gross vehicle weight of 6,768 pounds. meaning the whole vehicle can handle it's own curb weight plus additional weight for a grand total of that amount. To put it another way, the weight of the vehicle itself PLUS your passengers/luggage should never exceed a total of 6,768 or the components might collapse under the pressure.

When shopping for wheels/tires it is something people often forget to look into-- will these wheels/tires work okay? Think also about the pressure when you put the car not just under load, but under suspension travel and other factors. Bottom line: if the wheels you have are ever subjected to weight beyond what they are rated for, they could crack/fail and cause the car to go off path, injuring or killing those inside your vehicle, or those around you. Wheel failure with aftermarket wheels is more common than people think, though more common under race conditions-- but still heavy loads in an SUV like this, too.

Since the Tesla has a roughly 49/51 split, we'll assume for discussion purposes that half the weight is front/back (50/50) and take 6,678 % 2 = 3,384 lbs. That means each front wheel would then hold the load of half that, or 1,692 lbs or 767 kg. Again that is the MAX Load-- but the vehicle itself is only ~5,441 lbs. So driving down the road, each corner is only handling 1,360 lbs without addd load. If you weigh 200 lbs then the driver corner is "almost" (again these are VERY rough approximations) handling 1,560 lbs--- more than your wheels, if indeed they are 690kg.

Will it work? Perhaps. Can they handle more load than rated? Likely some, but how much, and for how long before they stress crack? Just food for thought.... look for a stamped ###kg somewhere on the wheel... likely 690kg or a number like that. And then make your judgment call from there. Tesla chose 880kg load rated wheels... do you trust going lower than what the manufacturer used?

Great informative post! Thanks @arijaycomet