Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch Uberturbine wheels on Model Y + optional thicker 45 profile sidewall.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

New to this forum, but I thought I'd join and post this because I don't see much information related to the fitment of the 20 inch Uberturbine wheels on the Model Y LR AWD.

1) Wheels:
The M3P uberturbine wheels have a square fitment with all wheels 20x9, ET34. These were taken from the Model 3 Performance and put on my MY! NOTE: THESE ARE NOT THE 21" MODEL Y STAGGERED UBERTURBINE'S.

I had the 19" Gemini wheels before this and was debating whether I should add the $2000 induction wheel option from the factory. Honestly, I love the look and color of these uberturbine's even more than the 20" inductions.

See below picture of my MY LR AWD. This should also fit the MYP.

IMG_4492.jpg

2)Tires:
Note: This 9" wheel would have also perfectly fit the 255/40R20 which come with the induction tires. 245 or 255 wide tires are designed for 9" wheels.

However, I opted to go for the Michelin CrossClimate 2 in 245/45R20. Note: The thicker sidewall impacts the circumference of the tire slightly, so when the speedo reads 60 mph, I'm actually going 61.4 mph. Its something I have to keep in mind but its ~2% so its not a big deal for me.

I also decided to stick with the thicker sidewall because its SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable to me. Honestly, this feels quieter and more comfortable than my 19" Gemini wheels with the continental tires -Perhaps its because the CrossClimate2's are a better tire? I'll update how my range is impacted after a thousand miles or so. Zero rubbing or clearance issues at full wheel lock and over large bumps on stock suspension.

Here's how the stock Gemini's compare with the new tire and rim combo: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

SidewallWheelFitmentModelY.PNG

3) Offset:
I really like the stance of these new rims. It sticks out about 8mm more and looks flush with the fender. So much nicer.

"Wheel fills out the wheel well by extra 8 mm. Acceptable for most cars"
"The tire will stick out 6 mm farther. Rim will stick out 5 mm farther. Acceptable for most cars"

4) Alignment
This is a minor increase in height - about 4mm (0.15inch). I don't think I need to re-do my alignment but someone chime in if I'm mistaken.

Summary or TLDR:
I think the M3P 20" Uberturbine wheel is an excellent alternative to the 20" induction wheel for the Model Y.
Now I have my Gemini wheels sitting in my garage - up for sale if there's interest (dm me) or I might get it powdered coated in black and re-sell.

Hope this helps out someone!

These are the new 20x9 inch uberturbines which come with the Model 3 Performance cars.

Take a look at this post for the part number:

Another reference:

Reactions: HillClimb
These are the new 20x9 inch uberturbines which come with the Model 3 Performance cars.

Take a look at this post for the part number:

Another reference:
Ah thank you I thought it may be something special for the Y. I forgot the 3 had these now as well

255/45 looks great! Does the front tire rub against the wheel liner while turning? It looks like it’s even possible to fit 255/50 on there
I’m on 245/45 but have not observed any rubbing with full lock. With 255/50, the speedometer is going to be very far off (60mph = 64.3mph which is ~7%) and the torque to the wheels will be impacted. I’d use the wheel calculator link I sent in the original post to play around and see how far off the circumference will be.

If you update your wheel selection on the car to the 21" UberTurbines, I wonder if it would actually be close enough that the speedometer is the same.

Good idea, I did this just to get a better range estimate as well. However, what is interesting is that the Model Y 21" Uberturbines have a different diameter for front and back, so i'm not sure which wheel is used to measure speed. The back one or the front one measures speed? Does anyone know?

Here's a pic comparing the diameter's of the 19 inch Gemini, 20 inch induction and 21 inch uberturbine front wheels. 19 and 20 inductions are on the top. 21 uberturbines front and back are on the bottom.

Rear uberturbine diameter is actually almost spot on with my 245/45R20 setup! (729mm for my setup vs 726mm 21" uberturbine rears)

ComparingTeslaWheelWidths2.png

I wanted to chime in now that I have over 1000 miles on the wheel and tire set.

Overall I’m very happy I went this route but there are a few things to be aware about.

1) Efficiency : Wh/mi went up from 270 to 295. I do mostly highway driving. So a 9% decrease in range. This is due to both the wheel aerodynamics and the tire rolling resistance. (Inflated to 46 psi.)
2) Noise Vibration and Harshness : Observed improvements in all these categories. I feel that the frequency of the harsher smaller bumps have been reduced significantly.
3) Cornering : There is a more spongy feel when cornering hard. Makes sense and the sidewall is softer. It’s definitely noticeable for the avid enthusiast.
4) Appearance : I’m a lot happier with the way these tires and wheels look together. A more.. rugged look with the Cross Climate 2s. Thicker profile tires retains the same sidewall as the Gemini wheels and tires also helped me reduce curb rash.

Hi Folks,

New to this forum, but I thought I'd join and post this because I don't see much information related to the fitment of the 20 inch Uberturbine wheels on the Model Y LR AWD.

1) Wheels:
The M3P uberturbine wheels have a square fitment with all wheels 20x9, ET34. These were taken from the Model 3 Performance and put on my MY! NOTE: THESE ARE NOT THE 21" MODEL Y STAGGERED UBERTURBINE'S.

I had the 19" Gemini wheels before this and was debating whether I should add the $2000 induction wheel option from the factory. Honestly, I love the look and color of these uberturbine's even more than the 20" inductions.

See below picture of my MY LR AWD. This should also fit the MYP.

View attachment 661624

2)Tires:
Note: This 9" wheel would have also perfectly fit the 255/40R20 which come with the induction tires. 245 or 255 wide tires are designed for 9" wheels.

However, I opted to go for the Michelin CrossClimate 2 in 245/45R20. Note: The thicker sidewall impacts the circumference of the tire slightly, so when the speedo reads 60 mph, I'm actually going 61.4 mph. Its something I have to keep in mind but its ~2% so its not a big deal for me.

I also decided to stick with the thicker sidewall because its SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable to me. Honestly, this feels quieter and more comfortable than my 19" Gemini wheels with the continental tires -Perhaps its because the CrossClimate2's are a better tire? I'll update how my range is impacted after a thousand miles or so. Zero rubbing or clearance issues at full wheel lock and over large bumps on stock suspension.

Here's how the stock Gemini's compare with the new tire and rim combo: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

View attachment 661629

3) Offset:
I really like the stance of these new rims. It sticks out about 8mm more and looks flush with the fender. So much nicer.

"Wheel fills out the wheel well by extra 8 mm. Acceptable for most cars"
"The tire will stick out 6 mm farther. Rim will stick out 5 mm farther. Acceptable for most cars"

4) Alignment
This is a minor increase in height - about 4mm (0.15inch). I don't think I need to re-do my alignment but someone chime in if I'm mistaken.

Summary or TLDR:
I think the M3P 20" Uberturbine wheel is an excellent alternative to the 20" induction wheel for the Model Y.
Now I have my Gemini wheels sitting in my garage - up for sale if there's interest (dm me) or I might get it powdered coated in black and re-sell.

Hope this helps out someone!
Not without an adapter (at a minimum) — the Sonic Carbon Slipstream wheels (and all other Model S/X varieties) use a different bolt pattern from that which is used on the Model 3/Y.
Thank you! So brides Craigslist or eBay is there a way to purchase 20 ubertine M3 wheels to use on MYP? Like others I love the style but fear having 21 on MY due to cost. Cost of limited to summer tires and inability to rotate.

Look in the classifieds section of this site. They come up from time to time. I would just buy some good aftermarket wheels that are a lot lighter unless you just have to have that look. The factory wheels are VERY heavy for their size.

Very heavy means approximately 5 lbs per wheel or 20 lbs total?
I don't think I've seen heavier stock wheels in a long time. Matter of fact, I think my pickup likely had lighter wheels than what come on the MYP. Honestly I think it is a disgrace and shows in some ways they had no idea how to make a performance version.

All the info you need for stock wheels is here. The stock front 21" wheels are about 38 pounds and the rear about 39 pounds. With the tires, the rear are pushing close to 70 pounds. You can get an entire wheel and tire that will work on the MYP for under 50 pounds. So you could save about 20 pounds of unsprung mass PER CORNER! If you plan to tow, check the load rating. You still can save a ton of weight, just have to be a bit choosier about the wheels.

Here is a guy who weighed his wheels and put lighter ones on and noted the performance difference.

Reactions: Daekwan and JBT66