Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch Uberturbine wheels on Model Y + optional thicker 45 profile sidewall.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sumitomo. Maybe that’s partly why. I did notice great grip and feel with M3P stock 235/35/20 but they look terrible in wheel well. Now I have pilot sport 4S in 255/40/20 and they feel really good. Wondering if I could go 235/40 or 245/35 for improvement??
I was just curious, becuase I would've thougth that tire model would have more an impact on what you describe, vs simply a small change in profile. Especially since on my other car, I have 275/40 on the rears, which is the same sidewall height as a 245/45. I've run that size in several different tires by Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone, and never noticed anything like what you described. I would at least try to keep the stock tire width tho, so I wouldn't drop down to 235 or 245. Especially since the load rating on the sizes you mentioned are much lower than the OEM size.

I was just curious, becuase I would've thougth that tire model would have more an impact on what you describe, vs simply a small change in profile. Especially since on my other car, I have 275/40 on the rears, which is the same sidewall height as a 245/45. I've run that size in several different tires by Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone, and never noticed anything like what you described. I would at least try to keep the stock tire width tho, so I wouldn't drop down to 235 or 245. Especially since the load rating on the sizes you mentioned are much lower than the OEM size.
Thank you. I’m a novice. But doing research. I bought M3P wheels with 235/35/20 and ran them for one week. Amazing road feel. Looked weird in wheel well so I replaced. Now my PS4 have 500 miles and feel great. But I have to admit the 235/35/20 felt a bit more track ready probably because of profile. I can’t imagine 245/35 or 245/40 would be worse maybe just look too small. But I think the car is so close to a M3 it can take a range of sizes.

I wanted to chime in now that I have over 1000 miles on the wheel and tire set.

Overall I’m very happy I went this route but there are a few things to be aware about.

1) Efficiency : Wh/mi went up from 270 to 295. I do mostly highway driving. So a 9% decrease in range. This is due to both the wheel aerodynamics and the tire rolling resistance. (Inflated to 46 psi.)
2) Noise Vibration and Harshness : Observed improvements in all these categories. I feel that the frequency of the harsher smaller bumps have been reduced significantly.
3) Cornering : There is a more spongy feel when cornering hard. Makes sense and the sidewall is softer. It’s definitely noticeable for the avid enthusiast.
4) Appearance : I’m a lot happier with the way these tires and wheels look together. A more.. rugged look with the Cross Climate 2s. Thicker profile tires retains the same sidewall as the Gemini wheels and tires also helped me reduce curb rash.
Hi,

Great info, thank you for taking time to share. I am looking to do the same setup. I do mostly Highway 120 miles a day Thus prefer to maintain as much range as possible.

I am curious as to why you experienced a loss in range with the Uberturbine 20”. Tesla shows the Model Y with either the 19” Gemini or 20” Inductions advertised with the LRY as having 326 miles range. Naturally the performance with 21” it shows less range. Did you put the same size tire the factory 20” Induction Wheels have?
Thank you in advance for any info.
Max

Thanks for all the info, @d34lyfe ! Do you happen to have any more updates now that you've had more time with the wheels/tires? I'm in Washington and am looking to do the same wheel + tire setup as you, except on a MYP. Have a couple questions though:

- Long shot, but does anyone happen to know if the 20" ubers would fit over the MYP brakes?

- Do the 245/45/20 CrossClimate 2 tires stick out past the wheel enough to protect against light curbing?

Thanks!

Did the same setup as OP: 245/45/20 cross climates on 20” uberturbine. Photo for ref in a white MYP

Attachments

• F4F533DE-95FF-4364-91F7-2FA6D5BCDF78.jpeg
    F4F533DE-95FF-4364-91F7-2FA6D5BCDF78.jpeg
    855.2 KB · Views: 1,071
  • 94A0DC63-5563-438C-A468-6EFFCEF0D47A.jpeg
    94A0DC63-5563-438C-A468-6EFFCEF0D47A.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 600
Any input on the tires selection between 245/45/20 vs 255/40/20 on the same wheel for MYP? More selection on 245/45/20 but also kind of want to stick with the stock size for MY. Any inputs are great appreciated!!!
The 45 series tires will give you a slight increase in the side-wall height which in turn increases your rolling diameter.

245 x 0.45 = 110.25 mm
255 x 0.40 = 102 mm

The difference is negligible and should yield a much compliant ride on the road due to the increased height. I actually run a set of 265/40/20s all-season rubber on mine. I love the smoother ride and slightly wider tread width.

Reactions: morbidz
The 45 series tires will give you a slight increase in the side-wall height which in turn increases your rolling diameter.

245 x 0.45 = 110.25 mm
255 x 0.40 = 102 mm

The difference is negligible and should yield a much compliant ride on the road due to the increased height. I actually run a set of 265/40/20s all-season rubber on mine. I love the smoother ride and slightly wider tread width.
Great, thanks for the input.

I considered buying a used set of the uberturbines for my standard Y to ditch the hideous geminis but given the fact that even used they are still well overpriced, i went with an aftermarket set of wheels and tires. 22 inch wheels and 265/35 tires for $2600. Set of tires are only $600 and they look better IMO but obviously looks are subjective.

I'm aware that most tesla owners mainly care about range and efficiency but that stuff isn't important to me. I wanted black wheels but I wasn't about to pay $2k for an "upgrade" to inductions. At least now I have my gemini set sittin in the garage in the event i sell the car or just want to sell the wheels and tires. I'll probably keep them though since oversized wheels would probably limit my ability to sell the car as it sits today.

Lighter wheels would be great but smaller wheels just don't look as nice on a car (again, subjective and just an opinion) with such a big wheel well. A lighter set of 21's should have been standard on a Y in all trims and maybe an ultralight 20 inch wheel with an even lowered stance on the performance trims.

Hi Folks,

New to this forum, but I thought I'd join and post this because I don't see much information related to the fitment of the 20 inch Uberturbine wheels on the Model Y LR AWD.

1) Wheels:
The M3P uberturbine wheels have a square fitment with all wheels 20x9, ET34. These were taken from the Model 3 Performance and put on my MY! NOTE: THESE ARE NOT THE 21" MODEL Y STAGGERED UBERTURBINE'S.

I had the 19" Gemini wheels before this and was debating whether I should add the $2000 induction wheel option from the factory. Honestly, I love the look and color of these uberturbine's even more than the 20" inductions.

See below picture of my MY LR AWD. This should also fit the MYP.

View attachment 661624

2)Tires:
Note: This 9" wheel would have also perfectly fit the 255/40R20 which come with the induction tires. 245 or 255 wide tires are designed for 9" wheels.

However, I opted to go for the Michelin CrossClimate 2 in 245/45R20. Note: The thicker sidewall impacts the circumference of the tire slightly, so when the speedo reads 60 mph, I'm actually going 61.4 mph. Its something I have to keep in mind but its ~2% so its not a big deal for me.

I also decided to stick with the thicker sidewall because its SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable to me. Honestly, this feels quieter and more comfortable than my 19" Gemini wheels with the continental tires -Perhaps its because the CrossClimate2's are a better tire? I'll update how my range is impacted after a thousand miles or so. Zero rubbing or clearance issues at full wheel lock and over large bumps on stock suspension.

Here's how the stock Gemini's compare with the new tire and rim combo: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

View attachment 661629

3) Offset:
I really like the stance of these new rims. It sticks out about 8mm more and looks flush with the fender. So much nicer.

"Wheel fills out the wheel well by extra 8 mm. Acceptable for most cars"
"The tire will stick out 6 mm farther. Rim will stick out 5 mm farther. Acceptable for most cars"

4) Alignment
This is a minor increase in height - about 4mm (0.15inch). I don't think I need to re-do my alignment but someone chime in if I'm mistaken.

Summary or TLDR:
I think the M3P 20" Uberturbine wheel is an excellent alternative to the 20" induction wheel for the Model Y.
Now I have my Gemini wheels sitting in my garage - up for sale if there's interest (dm me) or I might get it powdered coated in black and re-sell.

Hope this helps out someone!
What is the load rating for the 20” uberturbine wheel? 900kg?