TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

20 inch wheels and wheel locks

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PoitNarf, Mar 20, 2018.

1. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Two new items showed up in the Tesla online store last night:

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

Model 3 Wheel Lock Set

The 20” wheels are a bit too pricey for me and probably cause a huge hit on range as well. But I’m sure there are plenty people here that will consider these.

The wheel locks are interesting. Looks like the will work with the aero wheels and it appears that the lug caps may fit over them as well.

• Informative x 3
  2. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

Interesting. Anyone try aftermarket 20" wheels yet? Curious the comparison without the new fore links

• Like x 1
  3. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I'd like to know what leads you to believe that Tesla OEM lug caps would fit over the unique, locked lug. I want this to be true, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

4. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

There are a few peculiarities with this 20" Sport wheel package.
    1. It's a square set with 235's on 8.5" wide wheels all around. The 20" wheels on the reveal car has 235s in front and 275s in rear on 10" wide wheels. I expect the Performance version to have wider rear wheels.
    2. The image seems to be a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire, not Michelin Pilot Super Sports as per their text.
    3. Why the "optimized rear upper fore links"? The tires are basically the same outer size as the 18" and 19" tires. Same 9.3" tire width. The 20" tires are only 0.1" larger in diameter than 19". Which is nothing. These wheels are undoubtedly heavier so maybe the fore link needed to be reinforced? Seems like a relatively small tire change to mandate a suspense component replacement.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. PoitNarf

Just because they are a much lower profile locking nut compared to ones I've had on previous cars. I'm going purely by how the nuts appear in the photo on the Tesla website. From what I can see they look to be of similar size and shape as the regular lug nuts so I'm guessing that the lug caps would fit over them.

6. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

@Zoomit,

My question exactly. Why the need for fore links?

Ski

• Helpful x 1
  7. PoitNarf

8. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

#8 Zoomit, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    So the text says, "to ensure proper wheel fitment and ride quality". I suspect the wheels/tires are much heavier (much higher moment of inertia) so the new links are stiffer and are needed to keep the tires from rubbing the suspension when aggressively cornering.

I'm looking forward to pictures of the current and "optimized" links.

• Informative x 1
  9. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

So many questions, the links make zero sense to me for such a small difference, and why have the wheel look identical to the 19s?!

• Like x 1
  10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Maybe Tesla is going to discontinue the 19" wheel in favor of this new 20" version? It's only speculation on my part.

• Like x 1
  11. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

Yeah, I have no clue. Wider rear wheels for the performance version would have made sense, or maybe even wider for all 4 in a 19" size, but this is strange. You might be right.

Could be that the 20" worked better (efficiency, handling, etc.) and/or the 4S tire was more available/cheaper than 19" from Michelin. The Pilot 4S is an amazing street tire and maybe the square 235s is all that the performance version needs.

• Helpful x 1
  12. bradhs

bradhs Member

I hope these become an option when ordering soon.

• Like x 1
  13. timk225

timk225 Active Member

20 inch wheels on a 3?

1. I don't like the look. Too much rim.
    2. Rough ride. And for what? Going around a corner 3mph faster? Whoop-de-do.
    3. Outrageously overpriced from Tesla, as usual.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

If it were for a BMW, they would be $4k each.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

You'll be surprised that with the newer tire technology the low profile tires are very comfortable. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my Arachnids are smoother than the 19" Slipstream stock wheels and tires on my S, and they have far less tire sidewall roll i.e. more responsive steering and less "floaty". The Pilot 4S are supposed to be even better.

• Like x 1
  16. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Yessssssss, keep feeding me great feedback on the 4S. I've already decided on these so the positive feedback is delicious!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. GTKAZ

GTKAZ Supporting Member

Absolutely! :) Post pics when you get them

18. arnis

arnis Member

• Disagree x 1
  19. 355rockit

355rockit Member

Nice they come with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Awesome tire. I have them on my Jaguar F-Type R. Great performance tire.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. arnis

arnis Member