Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch wheels and wheel locks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a look at the wheel locks offered by Tesla, and they look decent. Doing wheel locks with open-end lug nuts is more difficult to make them secure.

I'm a fan of the Gorilla Guard and Gorilla X2 wheel locks, because both have countermeasures to one of the tricks used by theives to get wheel locks off -- the "hammer-a-socket" trick. Basically, they take a 12-point socket that's just the right size, hammer it over the wheel lock, and it then has enough friction to twist the wheel lock off.

The Gorilla Guard locks have a sleeve that gets in the way of hammering a socket over the lock.

The Gorilla X2 locks have a free-rotating top section that just free spins, so if you hammer a socket over it, you don't get any torque to take off the lock.

Unfortunately, you can't use either of these locks on the M3, because the lug nuts on the M3 are very short, and are an "open" style. You have to use the ones provided by Tesla, or you can use the original Gorilla Locks, specifically the "Acorn Open End" shown as the 3rd one in the top row. Unfortunately, these are vulnerable to the socket trick, and as such aren't terribly secure.

However, I picked up a set of Gorilla's The System locks, specifically part 78643N (Acorn Open End, 14x1.5 mm). What this does is instead of only one lock per wheel, you get a set of 20 locks so that every lug nut is a lock. So although you can hammer a socket over these, now the thieves will need 20 sockets to get your wheels. Too much trouble.

Surprisingly, this route was quite inexpensive at only $45 for the entire set from Brandsport. Tesla is charging $50 for a set of only 4 of them, so you can save 10% and get 20 of them instead.

My order is supposed to come in today, I'll be putting the locks on my M3 this weekend, I'll post back with results, fitment, and pictures.

I am a model 3 reservation holder and I will receive the car here in Europe in early 2019.

Meanwhile, I am going to place a custom order for aftermarket wheels from Vossen and the manufacturer told me they don’t supply lug nuts and I should buy them with type conical seat 14mm x 1.5.

I am looking for Gorilla and McGuard lug nuts and I saw your post about the System with which I agree. The problem is they are open ended and visible in these wheels.

What solution do you recommend?

I am a model 3 reservation holder and I will receive the car here in Europe in early 2019.

Meanwhile, I am going to place a custom order for aftermarket wheels from Vossen and the manufacturer told me they don’t supply lug nuts and I should buy them with type conical seat 14mm x 1.5.

I am looking for Gorilla and McGuard lug nuts and I saw your post about the System with which I agree. The problem is they are open ended and visible in these wheels.

What solution do you recommend?

Gorilla makes The System in closed-end lug nuts as well. Check out 71643N (14mm x 1.5mm, chrome) or 71643NBC (14mm x 1.5mm black chrome).

One potential problem you may want to watch out for -- if your Vossen wheels are thinner at the area where the lug nuts seat, it's possible that the 71643N(BC) lug nuts don't have enough internal clearance for the studs, since the studs will protrude out from the Vossen wheels more than they protrude out from the Tesla stock wheels. If this happens, the stud will hit the inside of the lug nut before the cone face of the lug nut hits the seat on the wheel, which won't work.

If this happens, you may need to try the duplex acorn style (76643N / 76643NBC) which are longer and can accomodate a longer stud.

Gorilla makes The System in closed-end lug nuts as well. Check out 71643N (14mm x 1.5mm, chrome) or 71643NBC (14mm x 1.5mm black chrome).

One potential problem you may want to watch out for -- if your Vossen wheels are thinner at the area where the lug nuts seat, it's possible that the 71643N(BC) lug nuts don't have enough internal clearance for the studs, since the studs will protrude out from the Vossen wheels more than they protrude out from the Tesla stock wheels. If this happens, the stud will hit the inside of the lug nut before the cone face of the lug nut hits the seat on the wheel, which won't work.

If this happens, you may need to try the duplex acorn style (76643N / 76643NBC) which are longer and can accomodate a longer stud.

Vossen sales representative answered me today telling there is not any problem with lug nuts lengths and he said “You can do any length, but the longer ones may stick out a lot in the rear”.

However, he arises a new issue telling “I think 13/16” is too big for the head size. I would go no larger than 19mm”.

In my research, I found out lug nuts only with diameters 13/16” (21mm) equal for Tesla stock wheels, 7/8” (23mm) and 0,87” (22mm).

Do you know any lug nut model with 19mm diameter?

Thanks

The head size refers to the wrench necessary to take the lugs off and on. For a given wrench size, the outer diameter of the corresponding standard 12-point socket is a certain size, which I think your sales representative is trying to tell you that it may be too big to fit into the hole in the wheel where the lug nut sits.

However, with wheel locks like The System, the socket itself doesn't have to fit into the lug nut hole, only the wheel lock key needs to fit, and it's thinner and smaller in diameter than a standard 12-point socket.

Unfortunately, the only for sure way to see if the key will fit your wheel is to try it. Unless the Vossen wheels have really small lug nut holes, I would surmise that The System keys (71643N(BC) / 76643N(BC) ) will fit.

If for some reason they don't, Gorilla makes some small diameter wheel locks, check part number 26643SD. Two issues with these: 1) They're longer than the regular System locks, so they might stick out. 2) They're only available in chrome, not black.

Gorilla has a brand new set that was just released, so it's not in their catalog, but it's basically a shorter set of the small diameter wheel locks, part # 26143S. Issues with these: 1) Brand new, so not available on Amazon or other retailers, you'll probably have to call Gorilla and order directly. 2) Only available in chrome. 3) Not technically a wheel lock because it doesn't have a unique key -- these are actually standard splined lug nuts. Still better than a regular hex head, but anyone can go buy another set and get a key that will work.

One warning on the small diameter lug nuts and wheel locks: You need to ensure that the cone face on these seats properly on the wheel. If the cone face of the lug nut is too small to properly seat on the wheel, that invites problems. If this happens, don't try to use the small diameter versions -- use the regular ones.

The head size refers to the wrench necessary to take the lugs off and on. For a given wrench size, the outer diameter of the corresponding standard 12-point socket is a certain size, which I think your sales representative is trying to tell you that it may be too big to fit into the hole in the wheel where the lug nut sits.

However, with wheel locks like The System, the socket itself doesn't have to fit into the lug nut hole, only the wheel lock key needs to fit, and it's thinner and smaller in diameter than a standard 12-point socket.

Unfortunately, the only for sure way to see if the key will fit your wheel is to try it. Unless the Vossen wheels have really small lug nut holes, I would surmise that The System keys (71643N(BC) / 76643N(BC) ) will fit.

If for some reason they don't, Gorilla makes some small diameter wheel locks, check part number 26643SD. Two issues with these: 1) They're longer than the regular System locks, so they might stick out. 2) They're only available in chrome, not black.

Gorilla has a brand new set that was just released, so it's not in their catalog, but it's basically a shorter set of the small diameter wheel locks, part # 26143S. Issues with these: 1) Brand new, so not available on Amazon or other retailers, you'll probably have to call Gorilla and order directly. 2) Only available in chrome. 3) Not technically a wheel lock because it doesn't have a unique key -- these are actually standard splined lug nuts. Still better than a regular hex head, but anyone can go buy another set and get a key that will work.

One warning on the small diameter lug nuts and wheel locks: You need to ensure that the cone face on these seats properly on the wheel. If the cone face of the lug nut is too small to properly seat on the wheel, that invites problems. If this happens, don't try to use the small diameter versions -- use the regular ones.

I have just seen in Gorilla catalog two 3/4” hex 5 lugs kits reference 41943 and 41943XL which appears to me to have what Vossen recommends. What do you think?

I have just seen in Gorilla catalog two 3/4” hex 5 lugs kits reference 41943 and 41943XL which appears to me to have what Vossen recommends. What do you think?

Well, those are standard hex, I though you wanted wheel locks, not just lug nuts.

Without the specific hole diameter on the Vossen wheels, this is just a guessing game. There's no guarantee that a 3/4" hex lug nut will or won't fit properly given that the socket you use could be many different outside diameters, just like the variability of the wheel lock keys that The System or any of the other solutions use.

If they fit, then they fit. If not, be prepared to return them and get something else.

Well, those are standard hex, I though you wanted wheel locks, not just lug nuts.

Without the specific hole diameter on the Vossen wheels, this is just a guessing game. There's no guarantee that a 3/4" hex lug nut will or won't fit properly given that the socket you use could be many different outside diameters, just like the variability of the wheel lock keys that The System or any of the other solutions use.

If they fit, then they fit. If not, be prepared to return them and get something else.

Thank you for all your really great explanations. You are very helpful and allow me to convince sales representative to measure the wheel.

Here in Europe there is not Gorilla retailers, so I have to buy the lug nuts to Amazon USA paying double due to import fees and it will be very difficult to return the item. I like the Gorilla system because every wheel lug is a wheel lock, although they have 21mm head.

The Vossen sales representative measured the wheel lug hole diameter and it is 29 mm. Now I need to know the outer diameter of your key to use there. Meanwhile, I saw a few comments in Amazon telling these nuts are only for steel wheels not alloy wheels. Is that true?

It is very good to have this club to get information from other Tesla fans, even for whom is so far away like me. Thanks again.

@matex,

OK, I think you will be fine with The System. This is the key from part number 71643NBC (The System, 5-lug x 4 wheel pack of 20, Acorn style, black chrome, 14mm x 1.5mm), it measures 26.62 mm in diameter:

GorillaSystemKeyDiameter.jpg

Remember that the socket that you use on the end of this key probably doesn't have to fit into the Vossen wheel's 29mm lug nut hole. Only this key does. And since the key is 26.62 mm, that will fit with 2.4 mm to spare in a 29mm hole.

Be aware that the hex size for the end of the key where you need to use the socket is 13/16 inches (20.6 mm). A 21mm socket will fit loosely -- I'd recommend you get an actual 13/16 inch socket for this application, given the high torque values.

I think part numbers 71643N (chrome) or 71643NBC (black chrome) will work well with your wheels.

Here are a couple pictures of the 71643NBC System installed on the 18" Aero wheels with the Aero covers removed:

GorillaSystemInstalled.jpg

GorillaSystemInstalled2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Firehuntah
@matex,

OK, I think you will be fine with The System. This is the key from part number 71643NBC (The System, 5-lug x 4 wheel pack of 20, Acorn style, black chrome, 14mm x 1.5mm), it measures 26.62 mm in diameter:

GorillaSystemKeyDiameter.jpg

Remember that the socket that you use on the end of this key probably doesn't have to fit into the Vossen wheel's 29mm lug nut hole. Only this key does. And since the key is 26.62 mm, that will fit with 2.4 mm to spare in a 29mm hole.

Be aware that the hex size for the end of the key where you need to use the socket is 13/16 inches (20.6 mm). A 21mm socket will fit loosely -- I'd recommend you get an actual 13/16 inch socket for this application, given the high torque values.

I think part numbers 71643N (chrome) or 71643NBC (black chrome) will work well with your wheels.

Here are a couple pictures of the 71643NBC System installed on the 18" Aero wheels with the Aero covers removed:

I placed the order for wheels yesterday through Wheel Prestige Center UK and I choosen gloss silver, so I want The System 71643N. I saw it will come with 13/16” lug nuts and 13/16” key, without problems to fit perfect.

I will go in 2019 to a tuning shop to buy tyres and mount wheels and I know they use to work with electric tools to fasten the bolts (in Europe most cars have bolts instead of nuts like my BMW 5 series). Is it safety to fasten the lug nuts manually with the key?

Is it safety to fasten the lug nuts manually with the key?

Yes, but you need to torque the bolts to 129 ft-lbs (175 N-m) per the Model 3 manual. It is recommended to do this by hand using a torque wrench, not using an impact wrench. Also, when removing these lug nuts, use a manual wrench as well. Impact wrenches can damage the key or the lug nuts.

Pics of the Gorilla System 78643N installed on the Model 3 (20 locking lug nuts in the set, every lug nut requires the special key):

fullcover.jpg

closecover.jpg

fulllugs.jpg

closelugs.jpg

The Model 3 uses the open-end lug nuts, which is the same as the newer Model S. The Model 3 hides the lug nuts on the 19" sport wheels with a single black star-shaped cap as you see in the first two pictures, or using the Aero wheel caps on the 18" Aero wheels. The newer Model S uses individual plastic caps that cover the open-end lug nuts.

The older Model S uses full closed-end lug nuts that did not use a plastic cap. I believe these are the style of the ones sold by Evannex, but these probably will not fit on the Model 3 properly. They're the same thread pitch and size, so they'll screw on, but I think they're too tall to fit under the plastic cap on the 19" wheels. There's a chance they'll fit under the Aero wheel cap on the 18" wheels, but I doubt it.

I ordered the Gorilla Automotive 78641N set with 4 locks, which I believe is the same nut as the 78643N set with 20 locks. My only reservation is the cone is about half the contact area of the Tesla nuts. I'll attach a pic. I chickened out and didn't install them. Perhaps one of the mechanical engineers on the forum can comment. I have the 19" sport wheels
Gorilla_78641N.jpg

I ordered the Gorilla Automotive 78641N set with 4 locks, which I believe is the same nut as the 78643N set with 20 locks. My only reservation is the cone is about half the contact area of the Tesla nuts. I'll attach a pic. I chickened out and didn't install them. Perhaps one of the mechanical engineers on the forum can comment. I have the 19" sport wheels.

Well, a few comments:
  1. The nut is steel and the wheel is aluminum, so at the nut/wheel interface, if something was to be damaged, it'll be the wheel since aluminum is softer. The stresses needed to cause either the aluminum wheel or the steel nut to fail would be massive. Honestly, if something were to fail due to some type of very high side load on the vehicle, it would probably be the studs, not the wheel or the nut. This can't occur with just driving because tires would skid long before they could apply enough force for this to happen.
  2. I have noticed on my Model S wheels that I've rotated, removed, and installed more times than I can count that there is some scoring in the stud holes of the wheel where the cone face contacts the wheel. This is probably due to the higher pressure that the smaller cone face of the Gorilla nut exerts (same torque = same force, but smaller surface area = higher pressure). But it doesn't seem to show that there is any type of overload in this area, just surface scoring.
  3. Since you bought the 4-pack vice the 20-pack, there will be only one nut on each wheel with the smaller cone surface area. You have 4 other nuts with the large contact area.
  4. Tesla's locking lug nuts for the Model S are manufactured by McGard, and they have the same smaller cone surface area. I don't imagine Tesla would sell them if there was a concern. I don't know who makes Tesla's locking lug nuts for the Model 3, but they look very similar to the Gorillas. I don't know if their surface area is smaller or not. If you're really that concerned, return the Gorilla wheel locks and get Tesla's.
I also recently bought Gorilla's 71643NBC (black, and closed end vice open end) to use with the 18" Aero wheels without the wheel covers. They look great. Also, they do fit underneath the wheel covers, which is very important:

With Tesla's regular lug nuts and the Aero wheel cap kit, you can convert from covers to no covers and back just by removing/installing the center round pieces and removing/installing the plastic caps on the lug nuts. But the plastic caps do not fit the Gorilla locking lug nuts, so to convert from covers to no covers or back requires changing the lug nuts.

Since the 71643NBC wheel locks look great when uncovered, and fit underneath the covers, now converting from covers to no covers only requires remove/install the round center piece (easily done with a suction cup) with no lug nut change, and the wheel locks are always in place.