Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch wheels and wheel locks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just speculation but perhaps the forelink addresses a slight camber change to accommodate the slightly larger diameter?

Since our Model 3’s don’t come with any camber adjustments (front or rear), the solution is to include a slightly different length than what’s currently on the vehicle???

20 inch wheels on a 3?

1. I don't like the look. Too much rim.
2. Rough ride. And for what? Going around a corner 3mph faster? Whoop-de-do.
3. Outrageously overpriced from Tesla, as usual.

Well, this is the whole tire set if you buy them extra. So as an option they will be cheaper. The 19 inch winter tires are 2500, if you buy them on their website, so maybe those tires will be a 3k option. Still expensive, I agree, but better than the 21" Model S tires (6k for the set...).

But yea, Tesla options aren't really easy on the budget. Oh you want a color? Heated seats? Different wheels? A full leather seat? Then better be ready to pay for it.

I took a look at the wheel locks offered by Tesla, and they look decent. Doing wheel locks with open-end lug nuts is more difficult to make them secure.

I'm a fan of the Gorilla Guard and Gorilla X2 wheel locks, because both have countermeasures to one of the tricks used by theives to get wheel locks off -- the "hammer-a-socket" trick. Basically, they take a 12-point socket that's just the right size, hammer it over the wheel lock, and it then has enough friction to twist the wheel lock off.

The Gorilla Guard locks have a sleeve that gets in the way of hammering a socket over the lock.

The Gorilla X2 locks have a free-rotating top section that just free spins, so if you hammer a socket over it, you don't get any torque to take off the lock.

Unfortunately, you can't use either of these locks on the M3, because the lug nuts on the M3 are very short, and are an "open" style. You have to use the ones provided by Tesla, or you can use the original Gorilla Locks, specifically the "Acorn Open End" shown as the 3rd one in the top row. Unfortunately, these are vulnerable to the socket trick, and as such aren't terribly secure.

However, I picked up a set of Gorilla's The System locks, specifically part 78643N (Acorn Open End, 14x1.5 mm). What this does is instead of only one lock per wheel, you get a set of 20 locks so that every lug nut is a lock. So although you can hammer a socket over these, now the thieves will need 20 sockets to get your wheels. Too much trouble.

Surprisingly, this route was quite inexpensive at only $45 for the entire set from Brandsport. Tesla is charging $50 for a set of only 4 of them, so you can save 10% and get 20 of them instead.

My order is supposed to come in today, I'll be putting the locks on my M3 this weekend, I'll post back with results, fitment, and pictures.

Just out of curiosity, how common is wheel theft? I feel like I don't hear about it much... is a set of locks necessary these days?

Depends very much on what neighborhood, what kind of wheels, and what kind of car. It's really not that common, but I look at it as cheap insurance: $20 for a normal set of wheel locks (or $45 for the system of locks that I referenced above) is very cheap to protect a set of multi-thousand-dollar wheels and tires. Even if all these locks ever do is stop a teenager from pulling a prank, I think it's worth it.

If the locks were a few hundred dollars, then you have to look more shrewdly at the cost/benefit. But $20? To me that's a no-brainer.

• Funny
Reactions: SpaceCarFan
We needed an 18" sport version before this.

Also, I already have these wheels on my BBQ:

G4KqPx+

Looking forward to your pics!

I thought the model 3 has the same nuts as model S, 'coz EVANNEX offers the exact same 1.6" tall Gorilla lock nuts for both of them. Thanks for letting us know!

Pics of the Gorilla System 78643N installed on the Model 3 (20 locking lug nuts in the set, every lug nut requires the special key):

fullcover.jpg

closecover.jpg

fulllugs.jpg

closelugs.jpg

The Model 3 uses the open-end lug nuts, which is the same as the newer Model S. The Model 3 hides the lug nuts on the 19" sport wheels with a single black star-shaped cap as you see in the first two pictures, or using the Aero wheel caps on the 18" Aero wheels. The newer Model S uses individual plastic caps that cover the open-end lug nuts.

The older Model S uses full closed-end lug nuts that did not use a plastic cap. I believe these are the style of the ones sold by Evannex, but these probably will not fit on the Model 3 properly. They're the same thread pitch and size, so they'll screw on, but I think they're too tall to fit under the plastic cap on the 19" wheels. There's a chance they'll fit under the Aero wheel cap on the 18" wheels, but I doubt it.

Reactions: m3snowy
The Model 3 uses the open-end lug nuts, which is the same as the newer Model S. The Model 3 hides the lug nuts on the 19" sport wheels with a single black star-shaped cap as you see in the first two pictures, or using the Aero wheel caps on the 18" Aero wheels. The newer Model S uses individual plastic caps that cover the open-end lug nuts.

The older Model S uses full closed-end lug nuts that did not use a plastic cap. I believe these are the style of the ones sold by Evannex, but these probably will not fit on the Model 3 properly. They're the same thread pitch and size, so they'll screw on, but I think they're too tall to fit under the plastic cap on the 19" wheels. There's a chance they'll fit under the Aero wheel cap on the 18" wheels, but I doubt it.

Thanks a lot!

I have never had a car with open-end lug nuts. Definitely not the prettiest part of the car -- no wonder they hide them under a cap!

There are a few peculiarities with this 20" Sport wheel package.
  1. It's a square set with 235's on 8.5" wide wheels all around. The 20" wheels on the reveal car has 235s in front and 275s in rear on 10" wide wheels. I expect the Performance version to have wider rear wheels.
  2. The image seems to be a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire, not Michelin Pilot Super Sports as per their text.
  3. Why the "optimized rear upper fore links"? The tires are basically the same outer size as the 18" and 19" tires. Same 9.3" tire width. The 20" tires are only 0.1" larger in diameter than 19". Which is nothing. These wheels are undoubtedly heavier so maybe the fore link needed to be reinforced? Seems like a relatively small tire change to mandate a suspense component replacement.

A very reliable source told me the rear upper fore links are solely installed to add strength. Nothing more. You can install the Tesla OEM 20” wheels with new upper rear forelinks and later downsize your wheels to 19’s or 18’s without a problem. For me that’s good to know. I will track the 3 next month with 20’s and then go back to stock 18’s.

Further, I speculate the performance dual motor 3 will have a low 3 second 0-60 and do the 1/4 mile in 11.5 @ 117mph.