Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch Wheels in Practice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Ordered a LR AWD with Aero wheels, but am considering grabbing a P3D+ if one shows up in inventory that matches the other things I am looking for.

My main concern is the comfort level difference I have heard about when compared to the 18s or even the 19s. I live in Madison, WI so while it is a city it is a small city with varying levels of road conditions.

How noticeable is the difference? Is it possible to swap the 20s out for something smaller on the P3D+?

I did some searching on the forums and wasn't able to find any super clear answers, but I apologize in advance if I missed someone already answering this.

Yes, there will be a noticeable difference between the 20s and 18s.
and yes, you can swap out the 20s on the P3D with an AFTERMARKET 18s. Just not the OEM 18s.
Given the road conditions and the fact that you will be driving in snow, I would recommend swapping out for a set of 18s.

Reactions: Type1
I have different 18”, 19” and 20” wheels and tires for my P3D+. 20’s for the summer, 19’s for the winter, and 18’s with studded Nokian Hakka 9 for icy days. I have a Quickjack 5000 SLX that makes swaps fast and easy.

The winter 18” and 19” setup is a very cushy ride compared to the firmer summer sets. Lots of options for different styles and sizes for a P3D that fit over the hub lip. I suggest doing a search on the forum and hundreds of pages will pop up.

Here are 2 links:

Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

Vendor - Official Signature Wheel Gallery | Fitment Q&A Thread

I'd definitely recommend snow tries in WI with sport tires on your car. You will not be a happy camper. on the Madison roads, especially once some of the heavier snow hits and starts to freeze to the road (like the end of this previous winter season)

Also, since I see you are in WI. You can get some good advice from other WI folks (If you are on Facebook, the WI Tesla club is on there "Wisconsin Tesla Owners & Enthusiasts" is the name of the group)

The noticable difference between the wheels are the tires: 18s have a large sidewall, 20s are almost non-existent. You can get the 20s and put tires on with larger sidewalls but that begins to be an expensive endeavor.

I picked up a pair of the grey 20" performance rims - do whats right for you.