Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Induction Wheels Now Included On Stealth Performance Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Induction Incl..png

Awe man. That one hurts... its not even any extra money. On top of that, I just got a text from Nevada saying 180 Model Y's are on their way to my delivery location and I should get a VIN soon.

This update is compelling, and has an interesting price-break for those waiting on an LR w/Induction (like myself).

Normally the 20" Induction wheels are a $2,000 upgrade. With this new choose-your-wheel option for non-PUP performance, there is no cost bump for Inductions. This effectively lowers the non-PUP upgrade cost from $8K to $6K, when spec'd with Induction wheels in both configurations.

I find it kind of ridiculous that it depends on what trim you get and you're not allowed to pick the wheels they bolt on. There are 3 types and you would think, that at least for the higher trims, you should be able to pick out the wheels you want. If it is too much for Fremont to coordinate policy to have it done at the SC and have them stock a few swaps. How hard is it to change a wheel? Just baffles me; would they be losing money bolting 19 or 20 on a PUP?

There are 3 types and you would think, that at least for the higher trims, you should be able to pick out the wheels you want.

I agree. If someone wants, say, PUP, they should also be able to choose Gemini or Induction - there are lots of folks uninterested in the Uberturbines.

Hopefully the latest config update isn't the last, regarding wheel selection.

Yeah, I wish my delivery center had the induction wheels in stock and I could just say hey switch my config and bolt them on when my car arrives. I just spoke with my delivery person and he said he thinks it would probably delay my VIN if I switched to the 20's now... Not the end of the world I suppose. The Gemini's will make a great winter wheel set some day.

As a PUP owner, I would have loved to get the 20" wheels. Although I do LOVE the look of the 21's, the 20's are a sweet spot I feel. Still, I probably would not give up the PUP, the brakes and lower ride height are much harder to upgrade then swapping out wheels.. at least that was my justification :) Maybe Tesla thought this would entice people who really wanted these wheels to upgrade to the performance model.

Interesting. Now this has me thinking of getting the performance with the induction wheels.

does anyone know the range loss going from the geminis to the induction wheels?

also, are the all season tires on the induction wheels similar to the Gemini’s? I live in the northeast and would like to avoid needing to get a second set of wheels/winter tires if possible.

Interesting. Now this has me thinking of getting the performance with the induction wheels.

also, are the all season tires on the induction wheels similar to the Gemini’s? I live in the northeast and would like to avoid needing to get a second set of wheels/winter tires if possible.
Agreed on all points. Following.. I've seen lots of pre-prod Model Y's in the snow w/ inductions..

Inductions come with summer tires, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. So you would need to swap out the tires for all seasons anyways. Only the Gemini's come with All-Seasons... and not good ones at that :(

Reactions: K72V426
Inductions come with summer tires, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. So you would need to swap out the tires for all seasons anyways. Only the Gemini's come with All-Seasons... and not good ones at that :(
really? the 20's are summer tires? I thought only the 21 is summer. Where did you find that information? I have the induction and did a quick search online. What I am seeing is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 255/40-20 XL 101W is All season tires. Am I wrong?

o man, tesla needs to inform their customers that they are getting summer tires. I looked at their website again and also my purchase agreement. No where does it mention it at all. man this can also be dangerous since I live in an area that gets cold during winter. This really comes as a surprise to me since I assume they are all season. The wife is not going to be happy when I tell her we need to spend money on tires come winter time.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa