Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Matte Black Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get a X with Matte Black wheels. Does it make sense to order and just get the 20s powder coated or to order something like the Tsportlines? Are they the same looking wheels or does one look better than the other? What have others looking for black wheels done? 22s are awesome, but more interested in efficiency.

Thanks!

I want to get a X with Matte Black wheels. Does it make sense to order and just get the 20s powder coated or to order something like the Tsportlines? Are they the same looking wheels or does one look better than the other? What have others looking for black wheels done? 22s are awesome, but more interested in efficiency.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm thinking about going to the powder coat way. From my research, the method should not cause damage to the rims. Beware of one caveat – should you want to sell/trade in your car back to Tesla, they will not accept the powder coated rims, as they require the car to be in its original condition when buying back.

I have the original Tesla 22" for summer, just ordered the 20" matte black from TSportLine for winter...
And I love it, they look great!
IMG_6524.JPG

I took the inexpensive route and plastidip mine. I figured I could always go back to stock and they look great for like $40. I did matte black at first then decided to do a satin finish

I may powder coat if I want a permanent solution

You can't just drop that $40 bomb and leave no pics!?

My buddy did the $40 plastidip on his Porsche and his wife's SUV. Looked amazing. It laid out perfectly. For the wife's car he did it with the wheels on, and it still looked awesome. For the Porsche he did it with the wheels off. Until you get a curb rash, you really can't tell. And it can be peeled off. I plan on trying that.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Satinizer give the wheels a lower shine but not a glossy reflect look. I followed the video instructions below.

Got the 3 cans of satinizer from them as well. But really only need 2 for the job. The matte black I got from my local Home Depot.

One tip I would always do when spray painting anything is put warm/hot water in a container, just enough to put the spray can in there to warm it up a bit. Be sure water is below the cap line. BUT never boiling water. Water should be warm where you could put your hand in there and not burn. Leave for about 5-8 mins, take out shake for a minute or so, then back in for a few more mins.

This allows a finer mist and better/nicer coverage.

Good luck.

I just ordered the 20" TSportline Gloss Black wheels and had them installed on the factory all-season tires...was debating getting the Matte Black, but glad I went with the Gloss Black. I don't think you can go wrong either way, just a matter of taste/preference. I personally think the Gloss gives a bit more higher-end finish, but that's just me...

Good luck!

Tesla_X_002_New Wheels.jpg

Tesla_X_004_New Wheels.jpg