Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 mile range gain with D? Mileage estimates seem to be all over the map.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it interesting that mileage for the S85D is 20 miles greater than the rear wheel drive model on the United States site but is 27km less on the Canadian site. How exactly is the country by country range estimates being calculated?

In some countries like the US they quote independently measured ranges e.g. EPA rated at 265 miles. But I guess the P85D hasn't been EPA rated yet so they have to quote something different for it, which may be using a different methodology that does not match up with the other rated numbers.

In other locations like the UK or Canada perhaps the car has never been officially rated, so all the ranges quoted are their own estimates and hence they're consistent with each other.

My this is pure guesswork on my part...!

The US ratings show the 85 as EPA rated, but no such tagline for the 85D, the Canadian site on the other hand quotes NEDC for rating on the 85, and nothing for the 85D... what difference that makes... I don't know.

Either way, something's amiss, because what increases the range in one country shouldn't decrease it in the other. This is also quite important, because I see many people, myself included, who will take whichever of the 2 versions gets the most range, so it would be really good to know which is which!

Be sure you are comparing the same spec level. The P85D will have lower range than the P85. However, the S60/85D will have longer range than the S60/85. The reasons for this as I understand it, is that the "new" S85D and S60D actually have two smaller (more efficient) motors instead of the current somewhat larger motor. The P85 keeps it's larger motor of today while adding a new smaller motor in the front. With the two smaller motors in the S60/85D both motors can tend to remain in the most efficient power band for more time and thus improve overall efficiency enough to negate the added weight.

Concision is to be desired in debate, well done.

I went back and looked again at the new US site and it says the range "at 65 mph" will be 275 miles for the P85D and for the S85D it will be 295 miles whereas the base P85 and S85 both are quoted at 265 miles by the EPA.

Obviously it is not really possible to compare an EPA rating and a fixed at 65 mph rating. However, in looking at the original Model S motor efficiency graph on the Tesla site, it appears that the new ratings are break even or a slight reduction in range for the P85D while being a slight improvement for the S85D.

What it all shakes out to mean in real world driving as well as EPA numbers I don't think anyone can say yet.

I talked to one of the Tesla guys at the event last night and what is clarified above is mostly correct. The EPA testing has not yet been done, but they are confident in the increases. He said that it would be most noticeable in steady highway driving, which is usually where most of us road-trippers really care about it!