Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Model X Slipstream Wheels on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend I imported this idea into Europe (where people are scared of warranty / insurance issues when experimenting a bit). Went overboard with a silver set AND an Onyx-black powder-coated set; (still at the coater). Felt it somehow still looked a little after market, albeit being stock rims; flared rear arches would be great, (like prototype Plaids) but a little drastic, so I changed the silhouette with some properly made china "flaps" (they came supplied with lock-pins, but took a drill to the aluminium all the same;-). Turned out great; proper sporty look; wheels not only flush with upper body, but really integrated...spray also greatly reduced; if you're going down this road, pick up some flaps! And thanks for the great tip, USA; it rejuvenated my ancient Tesla...(2013 / 350+k km's) Some pics:
before.jpg

BEFORE
after.jpg

AFTER
quarter rear.jpg

rear.jpg

This weekend I imported this idea into Europe

Nah, I already posted my pics on the previous page. :)

I see you and some others have went for 245/40 front and 275/35 rear. I have 245/40 and 275/40, it fits too and gives perhaps a bit more aggressive look. 275/35 has actually smaller in diameter than 245/40, which makes rear sit lower than front.

The stock 21" staggered setup is 245/35-21 and 265/35-21, so car should have no problem with the larger rear.

Reactions: evo9rs
Need some guidance. Based on this thread, just bought some mint MX 20 inch wheels. These will be my summer tire/wheels. I have seen tire size recommendations for F245/40/20 and R275/40/20 vs F245/40/20 and R275/35/20. Do you think i makes any big difference? Also, debating Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ vs Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Appreciate any guidance - hoping to install in about 4 weeks

Reactions: jpk195
Need some guidance. Based on this thread, just bought some mint MX 20 inch wheels. These will be my summer tire/wheels. I have seen tire size recommendations for F245/40/20 and R275/40/20 vs F245/40/20 and R275/35/20. Do you think i makes any big difference? Also, debating Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ vs Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Appreciate any guidance - hoping to install in about 4 weeks
Use the Tire size calculator linked a couple of posts above to get accurate sizing info so that you can see what works best.

I'm doing the exact same wheel change in two weeks and I settled on 255/35/20 and 285/30/20 - Falken Azenis FK 510.

This weekend I imported this idea into Europe (where people are scared of warranty / insurance issues when experimenting a bit).
I am glad to be from Switzerland, not Europe, then.

Got the Model S in May 2015 and the 20 inch wheels on order. Driven like that ever since. Not Model X Tesla wheels, but similar dimensions.

20x9 et 35, 20x10 et 40,
245/40 r20, 275/35 r20

No rubbing. No problem.

Reactions: shthpnz
I think it will depend on the tire and driving style. As I have separate winter wheels. I will be going with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. The review on TireRack and Youtube are incredible. Great value tire.
Please post pics when you get set up. I just bought a Model S with the 21”turbines, but I’m looking to swap them out in a few months, hopefully before they get too beat up. Really prefer this look over the 19” ones from the pics I’ve seen so far.

Model X slipstreams in staggered fitment (for the summer).

I bought these used from a member on here and got them re-finished - powder coated gloss gunmetal.

Specs of tires and wheels
  • Model X 20 inch wheels
  • Bolt pattern: 5x120
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Front wheels: 20 x 9.0 +35 mm offset.
  • Rear wheels: 20 x 9.5 +35mm offset.

Tires - Falken Azenis FK510
  • Front: 255/35/20
  • Rear: 285/30/20

Quick thoughts -
  • There's no rubbing at all - I keep the car in the "Low" suspension setting
  • I feel the car "looks' higher simply because the wheel/tire combo now comes out to the outer edge of the fenders and the gap between the top of the tire and the fender is more noticeable compared to the OEM 19's that was inset and was not that noticeable.
  • I don't plan on lowering the car using the popular Blox lowering links simply because that means I would need to remove the links come winter or if the car has to go in for warranty work. The car is still under warranty. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.
  • There is a tad more noise with these tires - I think it's simply because they are brand new and that will get less after a bit of use
  • I have noticed any degradation in range - haven't driven it enough yet.

Some before and after shots compared to the OEM 19 inch slipstreams with 245/45/19 on all four wheels.

NewWheels4a.jpg

NewWheels13a.jpg
NewWheels8a.jpg

Other shots of the new setup
NewWheels22a.jpg
NewWheels21a.jpg
NewWheels19a.jpg

NewWheels12a.jpg
NewWheels11a.jpg
NewWheels10a.jpg