TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

20" or 22" wheels? couldn't decide so I got some lightweight 21"

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by acaciolo, Aug 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

I was torn between the look of the 22" and the performance of the 21". So I spent a lot of time researching and settled on a compromise. I got 21" MRR flow forged black Fs01 wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. The Scorpions have a long treadlife and Consumer Reports rated them as one of the lowest rolling resistance tires (hence the Verde name.) So these LRR tires combined with wheels that only weigh 26lbs (15 lbs lighter than the tesla 22"), I think I am happy with the compromise. The wheels are rated for the Model X weight wise and have a retail of abound $600 each. the only downside was they used more weight than I would've liked, and my mechanic didn't have black weights. So I'll be switching those out shortly. Sorry for the crappy photos. It is raining tonight so I'll take some better pics in the sun tomorrow. I didn't really notice any difference in driving feel, nor did I notice any difference in noise even though these tires do not have foam. The do have a fairly soft sidewall and were really one of the only choices in this in between size. 275/40 on rear. 265/40 on front. It totally changes the appearance of the car without (hopefully) as much of a performance hit. These wheels are actually lighter than the stock 20" by a few pounds. Tony c IMG_8941.JPG

• Like x 4
  2. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

nice! Let us know your average wh/mi after you get some mileage on these. I wonder how much if any hit you'll see with the 21's.

3. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

What a tease, looks good! Back up and let's see the entire car with wheels!

4. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

sorry for the crappy picture! It was in my garage and raining outside, I just got the X a few days ago and the wheels went on yesterday. I'll get some good pics shortly.

5. Nismode

Nismode Member

Subscribed for photos. Always thought splitting the difference in wheel sizes would be a good compromise on performance and looks (21" for X, 20" for S).

6. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

Can't wait for the pictures! I was battling this for a few weeks too.

7. john392

john392 Member

Does the Circumference difference of the wheel size screw up the mileage calculation in the car?

8. acaciolo

acaciolo Member

The overall circumstance/diameter is the same. The wheel size increased by 1" but the tire height decreased by 1/2" on each side, so that made up the difference. it is called +1. stock tire is 45% of 275mm night on rear. my 21s are 40% of 275mm. = 275/40 r21 tire size,

9. Zoomit

Zoomit Part 3 Awaiter

Said another way, the tire circumference does not change (appreciably), hence the speedometer is still just as accurate.

10. john392

john392 Member

And the front on 265/40 r21 would be the same as stock circumstance?