Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20% price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The better propulsion systems will win, and we have not seen much innovation there in the last 4 years.

Right, look at after the horse and buggy was replaced by ICE engines. In 4 years those ICE engines were going 100+ mph for sustained periods... :rolleyes:

Still not fit for the Autobahn anyway...

No, it's more fit for being a part of the solution in combating climate change if perhaps Tesla can convince other automakers to get off their arses and not worry about such things as what's fit for the autobahn but what's fit for our children and future generations. I doubt that makes much of a difference to people who are more concerned with it being fit for the autobahn.... but this is definitely getting the attention of German and other automakers....

Tesla Model S Outsells Mercedes, BMW, Audi, And Porsche In US - Gas 2

The autobahn talk here is so ridiculous. What's the percentage of the population that is even allowed to travel at 100+ mph for sustained periods of time? But let's bash Tesla about not making that a reality after 4 years.

For many, the defining questions are:
- Can you go fast (100 Mph) over significant distances?
- Does the service and repair system scale?
- Does the charging system scale?
Very relevant questions, true, but not as relevant as following question: are EVs cheaper than fossil cars? As soon as EVs are cheaper than fossil cars a lot of buyers will put higher priority on price than on range or service, in the mass market more than in the premium market.
And having more buyers will scale the infrastructure. And charging stations are cheaper to build and maintain than a gas station.

- Am I getting a fair price for my purchase?
I think that is a common mistake. Many people just consider the purchase price instead of the total cost of ownership including maintenance, costs for fuel/charging, tax, insurance, resale.
Look at taxi drivers who are very carefully calculating their costs and they go with EVs and PHEVs already today ... and one of the first Teslas I saw in Germany was actually a Taxi some years ago.

But for now I agree that for the many, many salesmen/businessmen in Germany going 500km and more on a single day the charging would be a significant burden. In Germany long distance is still covered a lot of with cars while in America long distance trips are rather done by plane.

So a very smart trick to bypass this stupid German regulation ... at least for Model S. For Model X there is no such solution ... yet.
Of course us in the US never pass laws to satisfy powerful special interests...

I was recently reading that in South Korea they have a very generous EV purchase program. However, to qualify the car must be able to fully charge the battery in under 10 hours.

At 110 volts!