TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

20" Stock OEM vs 22" 3 piece forged wheels mileage concerns

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by flyhigh123, Jun 25, 2016.

1. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

Has anyone here tested the actual mileage of a 20" stock OEM vs a 22" forged wheel? Per tesla there is loss of mileage, however if both wheels weigh the same, is there still mileage loss?

2. Bishop

Bishop Member

thats actually what i was wondering i intend on buying CF rims for the tesla and i know those are lighter

3. Colby Boles

Colby Boles Member

Although differing wheels will have differing moments of intertia, much of this energy is potentially recoverable just like the mass of the vehicle is with regenerative braking. The problem is that the lower profile tires have greater rolling losses due to the deformations from the road contact (strain) causing greater stress (strain / sidewall dimension). Some of this is not elastic and causes internal frictional losses that are not recoverable. There are many such things like this going on in a wheel. There is also less air in the tire, which means greater compression and rarefaction with each bump - also lossy. I haven't seen a good breakdown of the magnitudes of these various effects though.

• Informative x 3
  4. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Please let us know (with pics if possible) what you end up getting! I'd like to go CF at some point, maybe next spring.

5. Bishop

Bishop Member

i gotta get the car 1st . i did however use to have them on my old motorcycle as well as my old skyline

6. Socal85d

Socal85d Member

Hey there buddy, its more about the WIDTH of the wheels and tire setup rather than the Weight of the setup when you are talking mileage, there is more drag on the wider setup so therefore it will loose mileage regardless of weight. Only real benefit of the lighter wheel & tire setup is acceleration..

7. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

I will try to test fit my 20" i3 wheel and tires onto the X when it comes in LOL (I'm kinda serious tho)

8. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I'd like to know as well. Different tires with different rolling resistance will obviously have an effect, as well as tire size and profile, and rim weight. 2 rims can weigh the same but have different efficiencies. 22" wheels have most of their weight farthest away (11") from the center axle which requires more torque to rotate than a 20" wheel as the weight is not as far from the center axle.

Tesla's disclaimer of 10-15% loss of range with the 22" wheels is huge! In my experience in the model S the difference between 19 and 21" is far less around 5%.

9. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

I'm hoping to improve the range, I purchased 20" HRE Forged wheels. They weigh 23lbs front and 24lbs rear.

20 x 9 and 20 x 11

10. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Please don't, that be very dangerous. I doubt the wheels and tires of and i3 are certified to carry the 3400+ lbs per axle weight of an X.

11. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

I def won't! New Wheels come in on Monday =)

12. balefire

balefire Member

Please let us know your experience with lighter 20 in wheels. Planning to do the same.

Op, 22 in wheels forged lightweight might have similar range as 20 if you get the same width and LRR tires.

13. th14

th14 Member

Any update Rich Meister? I was also looking at the HRE wheels also. Got some pretty nice sets.

I'd like to get some 22's and see if I can restore the original range estimates. I'm doubtful it will have that much impact. But you never know.

14. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

I actually don't take delivery of the X until Saturday... will prob be running the OE 20s until Expel and Opticoat is complete. I will post weight of the wheels w/o tires for both OE and HRE.

15. th14

th14 Member

Thanks Rich Meister. What was your thinking on the 3 piece modular vs the P series forged?

Are you going purely for look? Acceleration and handling? Did anyone give you any assurances on range improvements?

16. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

the P Series are lighter and stronger. on my ICE cars i've had 3 piece HREs simply cuz they look so much better with a lip. Just the sheer weight savings there should be some improvement for acceleration and handling but I def didn't buy it for those two things. I just want to look good going slow (the slower the better) hahaha

• Like x 1
  17. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

love HRE's... used to have a set of 20's for my older car..... cant go wrong!

18. balefire

balefire Member

Have you had a chance to weigh your new wheels and the OEM wheels?
    Thanks