Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'20 TM3 Version 2022.16.3 (CHAdeMO Adapter charging Issued?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a drop off in charging speed since updating to the new version. I see this across 3 different Tesla's (2020 MP3, 2021 MYLR, and 2022 M3LR).
Initially speeds are high (40-48kWh), but after 20-30 minutes the speed drops to about 19ish kWh and decline from there. Charging used to take like 45 minutes - 1hr depending on starting state of charge, now it runs 1.5-2hrs each time.

Upvote 0
After updating to v2022.16.3 on July 12th, it appears that my CHAdeMO Adapter for my 2020 Tesla M3 kept disconnecting from the ChargePoint Station.

Does anyone else experience this?
How long after you start the session does the car disconnect?

How are you connecting the CHAdeMO charger to the car? Is it 1) plug the CHAdeMO handle into the adapter and then 2) plug the adapter into the car? Or the other way around (CHAdeMO adapter into the car's charge port and then connect the CHAdeMO handle to the adapter?

In any event, try connecting things up the opposite way and see if that helps. I've always put the CHAdeMO handle into the adapter first and then plug the adapter into my car. 98 times out of 100 it works but I've run into a couple of stations that only seemed to work when it's the other way. The Tesla manual says that either method should work but first choice was handle --> adapter then adapter --> charge port.

Also, are you just letting the CHAdeMO adapter hang from the car without it being supported by anything? When I use my CHAdeMO adapter I rest it on a small camera tripod. I had been using a cheap ($9) tripod for the last couple of years but it finally gave out. I replaced it with a substantially better one ($32) a couple of weeks ago. It takes a lot of the weight off the car's charge port, which may help maintain a better connection.

Upvote 0
I have a drop off in charging speed since updating to the new version. I see this across 3 different Tesla's (2020 MP3, 2021 MYLR, and 2022 M3LR).
Initially speeds are high (40-48kWh), but after 20-30 minutes the speed drops to about 19ish kWh and decline from there. Charging used to take like 45 minutes - 1hr depending on starting state of charge, now it runs 1.5-2hrs each time.
I have been using it for two years. It was charged up to 15 miles and then stopped. When I just called the ChargePoint, I discovered that I wasn't the only one experiencing this problem. The power station was unable to manage us. Ha. I'll try a different station tonight. I'm curious about your circumstance. relatively immediately charge up to 80–90% and then progressively deplete. The heat could be the problem.

Upvote 0
How long after you start the session does the car disconnect?

How are you connecting the CHAdeMO charger to the car? Is it 1) plug the CHAdeMO handle into the adapter and then 2) plug the adapter into the car? Or the other way around (CHAdeMO adapter into the car's charge port and then connect the CHAdeMO handle to the adapter?

In any event, try connecting things up the opposite way and see if that helps. I've always put the CHAdeMO handle into the adapter first and then plug the adapter into my car. 98 times out of 100 it works but I've run into a couple of stations that only seemed to work when it's the other way. The Tesla manual says that either method should work but first choice was handle --> adapter then adapter --> charge port.

Also, are you just letting the CHAdeMO adapter hang from the car without it being supported by anything? When I use my CHAdeMO adapter I rest it on a small camera tripod. I had been using a cheap ($9) tripod for the last couple of years but it finally gave out. I replaced it with a substantially better one ($32) a couple of weeks ago. It takes a lot of the weight off the car's charge port, which may help maintain a better connection.
After connecting my adapter to the CHAdeMO, I plugged the car in. I wonder about the weight that was hanging there, and using a tripod to support it is a brilliant idea. Thank you for the advice; I'll look for that in the attic.

Upvote 0
Here's the post I made showing the tripod in action (this is the <$10 solution that recently failed; the legs would not stay latched in place):

That tripod is not available any more. Last month I ordered this one:

It was $32 at the time but the price has appeared to increase to $39.

Upvote 0
Here's the post I made showing the tripod in action (this is the <$10 solution that recently failed; the legs would not stay latched in place):

That tripod is not available any more. Last month I ordered this one:

It was $32 at the time but the price has appeared to increase to $39.
Thanks for the tip, using your handle to hold it up looks superb. I have the exact same tripod model you have. Will give it a shot this weekend.

Upvote 0
I have been using it for two years. It was charged up to 15 miles and then stopped. When I just called the ChargePoint, I discovered that I wasn't the only one experiencing this problem. The power station was unable to manage us. Ha. I'll try a different station tonight. I'm curious about your circumstance. relatively immediately charge up to 80–90% and then progressively deplete. The heat could be the problem.
I had this issue with my previous adapter and it was under warranty to Tesla replaced it, took a while but they did it since it wasn't in stock. This time I don't think it's an adapter issue or a Chargepoint issue, I think it's a car software issue.

Reactions: iScooby
Upvote 0
I had this issue with my previous adapter and it was under warranty to Tesla replaced it, took a while but they did it since it wasn't in stock. This time I don't think it's an adapter issue or a Chargepoint issue, I think it's a car software issue.
It's interesting that you brought up the software problem. I charged it with 120 volts last night, and strangely it stopped charging before restarting. It seemed weird. I scheduled an appointment to hopefully find a solution with the Tesla service.

Upvote 0