Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" Wheel Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
I'm looking at purchasing a set of stock like 20" wheels for my MX ($220 each). I came across this website (evwheeldirect) and noticed that they have the "Onyx" wheels on sale right now (all in-stock wheels are 25% off until 7 Sep). Any other recommendations on a set of wheels? I prefer the stock look, or at least be able to put the center cap back in the middle.

TIA.

I'm looking at purchasing a set of stock like 20" wheels for my MX ($220 each). I came across this website (evwheeldirect) and noticed that they have the "Onyx" wheels on sale right now (all in-stock wheels are 25% off until 7 Sep). Any other recommendations on a set of wheels? I prefer the stock look, or at least be able to put the center cap back in the middle.

TIA.

The price is good with 25% off.
Verify, the wheels are 20×8.5 inch per their website.....I think the stock MX 20' are 20x9.5 fronts and 20x10 rear.

Let us know, I might get a set if they actually match 20 stock sizes.

Here is some guide from Tsportline:

The Tesla Model X Wheel Guide

Last edited:
Received a response back from them today, still a bit concerned about the sizing though.

"As Tesla already offers this size as a factory option and our goal is to only offer size / fitment combinations that are not normally available, we do not produce a 9.0", nor a 9.5" Turbine-style wheel. However, the 8.5" size wheels that we offer for Model X is designed to fit and will not cause any issues. The wheels that we offer for Model X comes in "square" Fitment 20x8.5" on all 4 sides"

I'd prefer to do the square setup anyway, as it makes doing rotations and quick repairs a breeze (actually ordering 5 wheels). Let me know if anyone else has concerns, but I'm thinking about wrapping them with 265/45/20" tires (not sure of brand yet).

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Received the wheels and tires today. The wheels were double boxed and protected very well. I still don't have my X back yet, but I'll post here once I get them mounted on my vehicle.

A co-worker of mine did point out that he's never heard any anyone downsizing from the stock wheels, let alone a minority :rolleyes: (i thought that this was hilarious).

Finally installed the wheels and tires today. Two shops wouldn't install them since the stock setup was staggered and I decided on a square setup (rear is 1" smaller in total width). I had to have them mounted and balanced at a local shop and then take them home to mount onto the vehicle. I'm going on a 1K trip in a few weeks so I'll report back on the ride comfort and potential range efficiency.

In addition, I'm running the all season Nexen tires from Walmart.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Odd that shops wouldn't mount the 8.5" wheels on your X considering that the Tesla 19" wheels (the ones sold with winter tires) are 8.5" wide.

I'd love to go with a square 20" x 9" setup. Tsportline sells 20" x 9" fronts and 20" x 10" rears (despite the fact that the X only had 10" rears for a short time and currently has 9.5" rears.) I called Tsportline and the woman I spoke with was very uninterested (borderline impolite) in selling a square setup to me. She said that they only offer staggered setups and wouldn't break a set to sell me 2 pair of "fronts" They also were uninterested in doing a custom order. :(

I consider the 9" wide wheels with 275/45R20 tires to be pretty much ideal. They would provide extra protection for my wife to avoid curb rash along with longer life due to having the ability to rotate the wheels. The only downside to running 275s is that the 3.7% wider tire would cause a slight decrease in range. I'm writing this in the hopes that others read and agree and contact wheel providers. Dollar votes matter.

Reporting back on this thread since I've had the wheels on for a few months now.

Efficiency: Definitely noticed some gains on the highway. Part of my trip (flat), I was able to get below 360 Wh/mi @ 75 mph (few hours). It's been cold here, so the Wh/mi have been all over the place (mostly on the high side (500+ Wh/mi). I'm attributing this to the constant short commutes that I take and the amount of energy consumed just to heat the battery.

Ride quality: Nothing noticeable, but I've gone over a couple of potholes inadvertently and didn't think that it felt as if I destroyed the wheels.

Looks: The 22's make the X look a bit more aggressive and the wider wheels in the rear simply make it stand out even more. 20's make the X look a bit more like a regular CUV/SUV.

Verdict: No issues noted with the square setup (265/45/20), so I'll keep this additional set for winter time usage.

Reporting back on this thread since I've had the wheels on for a few months now.

Efficiency: Definitely noticed some gains on the highway. Part of my trip (flat), I was able to get below 360 Wh/mi @ 75 mph (few hours). It's been cold here, so the Wh/mi have been all over the place (mostly on the high side (500+ Wh/mi). I'm attributing this to the constant short commutes that I take and the amount of energy consumed just to heat the battery.

Ride quality: Nothing noticeable, but I've gone over a couple of potholes inadvertently and didn't think that it felt as if I destroyed the wheels.

Looks: The 22's make the X look a bit more aggressive and the wider wheels in the rear simply make it stand out even more. 20's make the X look a bit more like a regular CUV/SUV.

Verdict: No issues noted with the square setup (265/45/20), so I'll keep this additional set for winter time usage.

@Qbenjam Any particular reason you chose the 265s instead of going with 275s all the way around? My MX has 9" wide wheels on the front (35mm offset) and 9.5" wheels (40mm offset) on the rears. Wheelworks is suggesting I go with 275s square but I'm worried they'll rub in the front. See any fitment issues with what they're suggesting?

@Qbenjam Any particular reason you chose the 265s instead of going with 275s all the way around? My MX has 9" wide wheels on the front (35mm offset) and 9.5" wheels (40mm offset) on the rears. Wheelworks is suggesting I go with 275s square but I'm worried they'll rub in the front. See any fitment issues with what they're suggesting?
I went with the tire size suggested by EVWheels Direct. I'm almost certain you'd have rubbing if you did 275s in the front. I've had no issues with 265's all the way around (7K miles so far), just know that no wheel shop will mount them onto the vehicle for you though.

I went with the tire size suggested by EVWheels Direct. I'm almost certain you'd have rubbing if you did 275s in the front. I've had no issues with 265's all the way around (7K miles so far), just know that no wheel shop will mount them onto the vehicle for you though.

Oh, it's really helpful to know, thanks. Are you able to confirm that your rear wheels are either 35 mm or 40 mm offsets and 9 1/2 in wide on the wheels? That's the critical part for me is whether the offset is going to cause any issues.

I don't mind a little bit of rubber tire to metal rubbing when one turns the steering wheel all the way to one side as long as there's no metal to metal contact between the wheel and any of the other metal parts there. Thanks!

Oh, it's really helpful to know, thanks. Are you able to confirm that your rear wheels are either 35 mm or 40 mm offsets and 9 1/2 in wide on the wheels? That's the critical part for me is whether the offset is going to cause any issues.

I don't mind a little bit of rubber tire to metal rubbing when one turns the steering wheel all the way to one side as long as there's no metal to metal contact between the wheel and any of the other metal parts there. Thanks!
Wheels are: 20 X 8.5 X 5, with an offset of 35.

Wheels are: 20 X 8.5 X 5, with an offset of 35.

Hmmm, sorry to go back and forth on this but are you sure that's your REAR wheels size? The 8.5" width and 35mm offset seems like it's the front wheels size. If that's in fact what you're running on all four corners, that may be why it's working for you. My front wheels are the same as yours, except they're 9" wide with a 35 mm. My rears are 9.5" wide with 40mm offset, so I'm now once again doubtful whether they'll work on the front without the metal wheels contacting some metal suspension part.