Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20" wheels instead of 19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire Rack now has 20" wheels and tires for the Model S. The tire options include high performance all-season as well as winter/snow tires. When my MVPA turn comes I'm ordering the 21" wheels for use during warmer weather. When colder weather comes I considering 20" wheels with all season or winter tires instead of Tesla's 19" wheels. It looks like the 20" option would cost about $2500 for a set of wheels and Michelin or Bridgestone tires.

Any advice? And does anyone know if Tesla will sell a 19" wheel and tire option and what it will cost? Or perhaps they'll sell just the wheels and let us mount the tires we want.

Also all the Tire Rack wheels for the Tesla require centering rings. Should I be concerned about that?

Tire Rack now has 20" wheels and tires for the Model S. The tire options include high performance all-season as well as winter/snow tires. When my MVPA turn comes I'm ordering the 21" wheels for use during warmer weather. When colder weather comes I considering 20" wheels with all season or winter tires instead of Tesla's 19" wheels. It looks like the 20" option would cost about $2500 for a set of wheels and Michelin or Bridgestone tires.

Any advice? And does anyone know if Tesla will sell a 19" wheel and tire option and what it will cost? Or perhaps they'll sell just the wheels and let us mount the tires we want.

Also all the Tire Rack wheels for the Tesla require centering rings. Should I be concerned about that?

19" wheels with snow tires

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collect...ucts/winter-wheel-and-tire-set-studded-nokian
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collect...al/products/winter-wheel-and-tire-set-pirelli

The 19" wheel option with the Goodyear all-seasons is $2300. For the Pirelli winter non-studded it is $2400, and then a few hundred more for the Nokian Hakkepelliita studded.

And folks have commented that the centering rings are a royal PITA to deal with.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, there is a promising thread on the TM site that indicates GeorgeB may be considering offering 19" turbine style wheels, perhaps by next winter:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/19-turbine-style-wheels-allweather-tires?page=1

I'd really like to see a turbine wheel just like the 21" but in 20". It might look very close in terms of style but would open up tire choices many fold.

It's nice to see all the options offered at Tire Rack, but I'm really looking for the 20" version of the stock 21's.

I'd really like to see a turbine wheel just like the 21" but in 20". It might look very close in terms of style but would open up tire choices many fold.

It's nice to see all the options offered at Tire Rack, but I'm really looking for the 20" version of the stock 21's.

I'm with you. If Tesla offered the turbine wheels in a 19" or 20" version, that's what I'd go with. Of course, maybe by then there will be all season or snow tire options for the 21" wheels.

I'm with you. If Tesla offered the turbine wheels in a 19" or 20" version, that's what I'd go with. Of course, maybe by then there will be all season or snow tire options for the 21" wheels.

I'm surprised that there is no all season option for the 21" wheels - hopefully some manufacture will notice that there is an unmet need.