TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

20" wheels instead of 19?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by artsci, Oct 22, 2012.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Tire Rack now has 20" wheels and tires for the Model S. The tire options include high performance all-season as well as winter/snow tires. When my MVPA turn comes I'm ordering the 21" wheels for use during warmer weather. When colder weather comes I considering 20" wheels with all season or winter tires instead of Tesla's 19" wheels. It looks like the 20" option would cost about $2500 for a set of wheels and Michelin or Bridgestone tires.

Any advice? And does anyone know if Tesla will sell a 19" wheel and tire option and what it will cost? Or perhaps they'll sell just the wheels and let us mount the tires we want.

Also all the Tire Rack wheels for the Tesla require centering rings. Should I be concerned about that?

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

19" wheels with snow tires

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-functional/products/winter-wheel-and-tire-set-studded-nokian
    http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-functional/products/winter-wheel-and-tire-set-pirelli

3. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

The 19" wheel option with the Goodyear all-seasons is $2300. For the Pirelli winter non-studded it is $2400, and then a few hundred more for the Nokian Hakkepelliita studded.

And folks have commented that the centering rings are a royal PITA to deal with.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, there is a promising thread on the TM site that indicates GeorgeB may be considering offering 19" turbine style wheels, perhaps by next winter:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/19-turbine-style-wheels-allweather-tires?page=1

4. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

I'd really like to see a turbine wheel just like the 21" but in 20". It might look very close in terms of style but would open up tire choices many fold.

It's nice to see all the options offered at Tire Rack, but I'm really looking for the 20" version of the stock 21's.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm with you. If Tesla offered the turbine wheels in a 19" or 20" version, that's what I'd go with. Of course, maybe by then there will be all season or snow tire options for the 21" wheels.

6. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I'm surprised that there is no all season option for the 21" wheels - hopefully some manufacture will notice that there is an unmet need.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Apparently they do exist. From a general web search, I landed here...
    21 Inch All Season Tires for Sale