TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

20" Winter wheel setup; tires thanks to Doc @ TireRack

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Luder94, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Luder94

Luder94 Member

Here's the winter wheel setup I'm using for the season here in Chicago area. I called Doc at Tire Rack to sort me out with some tires. I started out about to order Blizzaks and ended up with Continental DWS tires. Tire sizes are 245/40/20....wheels are BMW style 373M. Offsets are pretty close to OEM, with the rear having a slightly higher offset; I'll probably get some 10 to 15mm spacers to widen the rear track a little more.

I am using the BMW center caps (they aren't pictured), but just finished wrapping them in 3m cf-style vinyl to cover the BMW logo.

Come Spring, I'll probably be ordering some aftermarket 20" wheels with summer tire. I'll probably be looking to sell my 21" P85+ staggered setup soon.

[​IMG]

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Not meant to be critical at all...but why did you end up going with wheels in an offset you didn't want and BMW center caps? Seems like a lot of work of 'fix' these wheels.

3. Luder94

Luder94 Member

Criticism doesn't bother me...so please be open. At the time I started looking for a winter set of wheels, I didn't like a lot of the options available nor did I like the price point for a set that I'd be using only 3 or 4 months of the year. Finding take off BMW wheels (which all modern BMW wheels are 5x120 bolt pattern and are built to roll the heavy weight 5 series and 7 series cars) was easier and cheaper.

I only wrapped the center caps so that the BMW logo doesn't show on my Tesla....that took me less than 10 minutes to cut, wrap, and heat shrink; I spent more time cleaning the center caps. 15mm spacers will cost me about $120, and will take me 20 minutes or less to install on the rear wheels. From an effort standpoint, it's been minimal; from a cost standpoint, it's the new all season tires that make up the majority of the cost. The big positive for me is, right now, I know of no other Model S that looks like mine. :D

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Got it. Makes sense. It is a great looking wheel :biggrin: