Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 miles review: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone switch to these tires from the PUP's Pilot Sport 4S's. I don't hardly use the capability of the 4S's on my PUP and wouldn't mind a longer tire life and perhaps decreased consumption.

Thanks.

I just went from the performance 20's with Pilot Sport 4S' to 18's with AS4's. I'll give a detailed review when i have more time with the tires and have better weather to test the performance (50 miles on the tires so far and temps have been below 50 degrees).

I also just changed to Pilot Sport All Season on my 18" oem aero wheels... more rim protection than MXM, slight more noise (since no acoustic foam) but handle very close to the PS4S on my 20". Not enough miles yet to determine difference in WH/mi but so far, very happy with them.... may sell the 20" wheels now. There's a reason the all seasons are becoming the default tire on some performance cars, like the corvette

I also just changed to Pilot Sport All Season on my 18" oem aero wheels... more rim protection than MXM, slight more noise (since no acoustic foam) but handle very close to the PS4S on my 20". Not enough miles yet to determine difference in WH/mi but so far, very happy with them.... may sell the 20" wheels now. There's a reason the all seasons are becoming the default tire on some performance cars, like the corvette

Yep, I got to test out the handling a little bit yesterday and it was pretty comparable to the 20's with PS4S considering it was 50 degrees and i'm running 18's now. I sold my 20's over the weekend.

Do you have any additional feedback on these tires? Did they handle much better than your stockers?

I just put the stock size all season 4's (235/45) on 18" wheels on the silver LR RWD. Only 40 miles on them so I can't say anything meaningful about range.
But, I love how much better they feel from the driver's perspective. Feels like a lot more grip and sharper responses to steering and throttle imputs. I had to do an emergency stop and thought it was noticeably faster stopping than with the MXM4's.
I am surprised they feel so good without any break in.
This is SoCal so no testing in the wet for awhile yet.
My first impression has been that the ride and noise are comparable to the MXM4 or maybe slightly better depending on the paving.
Will pay more attention to comparing between our two cars, the other still with MXM4's.

Just for laughs:
Over 22,000 miles of in town and highway usage this car has averaged 252 Wh/mile on the MXM4's
In the 40 or so miles on these tires it's been around 300 Wh/mile. (probably doesn't have anything to do with my pushing it in every corner to gauge the grip. :))
Realistically, I expect it'll take a thousand miles or so to figure out the effect on range since I won't do an explicit test.
Running them at 45PSI for comparison with the MXM4's but may drop them to 42.

For sure they are the best handling and most responsive All Season Tire. Everybody who's driven them and compared them to the Pilot Sport All Season 3+ (which we own and loved in the little bit of winter we've experienced on the first car) says that they are a little bit better in every way. And that tire was a benchmark for responsive handling in an all-season formulation

Anyone switch to these tires from the PUP's Pilot Sport 4S's. I don't hardly use the capability of the 4S's on my PUP and wouldn't mind a longer tire life and perhaps decreased consumption.

Thanks.
Doubt that you will see much of an efficiency or rolling-resistance change. They're not a champ in that regard but they are an amazing Tire in terms of wet and dry performance and overall steering feel and Dynamics Plus the ability to handle at least some snow.

Reactions: Gsxr150
Do they have a size compatible with the 19” model 3?

Nope
Tesla - delete.jpg

Bought the Pilot Sport All Season 4 to replace the Hankook AS which came stock on my 2017 GTI. In a few hundred miles I have observed about a 10% drop in fuel efficiency. I've checked and rechecked tire pressures to ensure that's not the difference; it isn't.

The GTI does not handle as well as the Tesla M3 SR+. Considering it still has a heavy air compressor on the front, a relatively terrible center of gravity and drives the wrong wheels ... the Michelin Sport AS4 no doubt has greater total grip than the factory Hankooks it came with. The grip is nearly like a summer tire on a good day and has wonderful breakaway characteristics. Very forgiving tire.

The compromises with the tread depth are a lot of flexibility in the tread block which decreases steering feel, more noise and reduced efficiency. These aren't big changes and my wife would like the more refined ride. I miss the lack of steering feel, but the overall grip and very predictable nature of this tire make is a good all-rounder. These are almost the opposite of the Pirelli P Zero which are so frigging stiff that they made our Mercedes Sport Package (AMG) a miserable thing to drive.

Reactions: dfwatt and Gsxr150
Any new thoughts on these? Preliminary findings on efficiency still valid? I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to buy another set of MXM4s. I just can't do it. Looks like these come with more tread AND have a higher treadwear rating? And they're significantly less expensive...

I've also been comparing (on paper) the MXM4 to the PS4 A/S, but am puzzled by the price difference. Why are the MXM4 so much more expensive?

Reactions: Gsxr150
Bought the Pilot Sport All Season 4 to replace the Hankook AS which came stock on my 2017 GTI. In a few hundred miles I have observed about a 10% drop in fuel efficiency. I've checked and rechecked tire pressures to ensure that's not the difference; it isn't.

The GTI does not handle as well as the Tesla M3 SR+. Considering it still has a heavy air compressor on the front, a relatively terrible center of gravity and drives the wrong wheels ... the Michelin Sport AS4 no doubt has greater total grip than the factory Hankooks it came with. The grip is nearly like a summer tire on a good day and has wonderful breakaway characteristics. Very forgiving tire.

The compromises with the tread depth are a lot of flexibility in the tread block which decreases steering feel, more noise and reduced efficiency. These aren't big changes and my wife would like the more refined ride. I miss the lack of steering feel, but the overall grip and very predictable nature of this tire make is a good all-rounder. These are almost the opposite of the Pirelli P Zero which are so frigging stiff that they made our Mercedes Sport Package (AMG) a miserable thing to drive.

Wow, interesting on the P Zero! You hated the still sidewall? Handling must have been great though? In exchange for a bumper ride?

Wow, interesting on the P Zero! You hated the still sidewall? Handling must have been great though? In exchange for a bumper ride?

Latest review of the P zero suggests that its handling is a notch down from the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. It might be slightly better however in the wet. But it's ride is definitely poorer both in relationship to the Pilot Sport Max performance summer Tire version and in comparison to the all-season version, at least according to the user surveys. There are probably enough permutations of the P0 though that there's quite a bit of variation in both performance and ride so it's a tough comparison without being sure which version you're talking about. Although they have not been compared head-to-head I would bet that on a dry surface the Pilot Sport 4 all season is better handling than the P Zero summer Tire.

Short form of a long story is that no one has a better Street tire then the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and if you have to have winter traction nothing is better than the all-season version of that tire. There's really no data to contradict either of those assertions and a lot of data supporting them. It does simplify choices however. If you want the best street performance along with decent ride that's your default first choice.

Last edited:
im concedering getting the pilot sport all season 4 tires, but I just wanted your opinions on different tires that could also be good. I want a tire that gets good efficiency, and I would love to get good grip(hard ask lol). For those of you in winter climates, how has it fared in light snow or anything close to that, and how much after breaking the tires in did your efficiency drop? What other tires would u recommend for 18's 235/45/18

im concedering getting the pilot sport all season 4 tires, but I just wanted your opinions on different tires that could also be good. I want a tire that gets good efficiency, and I would love to get good grip(hard ask lol). For those of you in winter climates, how has it fared in light snow or anything close to that, and how much after breaking the tires in did your efficiency drop? What other tires would u recommend for 18's 235/45/18
I have not personally experienced the Pilot Sport 4 all season but I have its predecessor, the 3 +, and it was actually quite good in snow. It probably is not an efficiency champ, and I think you can probably get some estimate of rolling resistance if you go to Tire Rack and look at mileage on their test mule (a recent 3 Series BMW). But its handling and steering feedback particularly are excellent. If you want a balance of Virtues in other words excellent handling, good ride, decent if not spectacular efficiency, decent snow performance, I do not believe there's a tire that overall has the balance of virtues in the Pilot Sport 4 All Season. I gave up a long time ago worrying about efficiency though so I'm a biased reporter in that regard.