Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 miles review: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got them installed yesterday. Butt dyno already feels like the torque is considerably sharper and cornering doesn’t feel as mushy as the original eco tires.

Consumption seems a bit higher than what I usually get driving 40-45mph through the suburbs. I'm usually around 250-270 driving around in the burbs at those speeds.

1646839513800.png

1646839581436.png

Reactions: dfwatt
19,000 miles on them, Avg 259 wh/mi So Cal, mostly 70-80 mph freeway driving. LR RWD @ 42 psi
Thanks @OutofThyme I went with the same tires. Only drove them home so far. Sound? Who can tell? Same to me.
Also thanks to @Mad Hungarian for Fantastic insights to all things tires
For anyone keeping score I changed tires at 44,800 miles (MMX4) with no rotations
Rear were getting real close to wear bars, fronts were getting bit more wear on inside shoulder (not badly)
What prompted the change was the second puncture on this set, patch on 1st hole. Just did the plug on second knowing time to change

2019 Model 3 LR AWD 18 Aeros

Shopping these. Contacted Michelin. The Sport Pilot EV are rated "10" for efficiency (but not available until late summer in a 19 inch). The
PRIMACY MXM4 ia an "9" and the Pilot Sport All Season 4 is an "8."

Tests and my observation on my GTi is that the PS AS 4 isn't as good a tire on turn-in, but is more refined and definitely grippier. The compound is magic. My GTI is off a few (5%) MPG.

I am starting to look at the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate. They are available and $170 less expensive, which isn't nothing. They seem to have better steering feel due to a stiffer sidewall, with a commensurate decrease in ride quality. Will try to figure out how efficient these are.

Last edited:
I got a set of Pilot AS4 installed last week. About 200 miles in, I find the tires to 'hold back' the car-- I need to push the accelerator deeper to get the same acceleration as MMX4. The pressure is set at 40psi (my old set was around the same psi). Does this match your experience?

Well, after reading this thread in its entirety, I'm still not sure if the efficiency hit is significant... or not. I'll be replacing some older P7s (not the current A/S+) on 20" Rotiforms on my 85D. The P7s were fine, although perhaps a little marginal for tread life.

I babied them through last year, since COVID meant I wasn't traveling much, but this spring they were clearly not worth swapping the winters for. So I put on my Arachids with Pilot Super Sports, that I'd been saving for a rainy day (not literally... LOL), until I could find a new set of 20" tires to replace the Pirellis. A few 100 km and the range hit appears to be in the 15 to 20% range. Not good, especially given Tesla has crippled my supercharging speed (as many 85 packs have suffered)! Sitting even looooonger to charge isn't appealing.

The consensus seems to be that the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires will be more power-hungry. And that once broken in, will be somewhat less so than when new, but likely still worse than the OEM rubber... which was probably pretty similar to my Pirellis.

Is that a fair assessment? I could accept 5, maybe 10% more energy consumption, but 15 to 20%, like the Super Sports, means I should be looking at something else. Any current thoughts from the people who have been driving on them for a while now?

I went from averaging ~265 wh/mi on the crap stock MXM4s to averaging ~285 wh/mi on the all season PS4 a bit north of 10k miles on the new tires now... so like 8-ish percent? And much better handling and braking. On a 3, not an S, and on 18s not 20s, though. (my driving is like 90% highway FWIW)
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll be finding out for myself... Costco had a one day, 20% off Easter sale, so I ordered a set. Hopefully they won't be too much different to my old P7s!

Well, after reading this thread in its entirety, I'm still not sure if the efficiency hit is significant... or not. I'll be replacing some older P7s (not the current A/S+) on 20" Rotiforms on my 85D. The P7s were fine, although perhaps a little marginal for tread life.

I babied them through last year, since COVID meant I wasn't traveling much, but this spring they were clearly not worth swapping the winters for. So I put on my Arachids with Pilot Super Sports, that I'd been saving for a rainy day (not literally... LOL), until I could find a new set of 20" tires to replace the Pirellis. A few 100 km and the range hit appears to be in the 15 to 20% range. Not good, especially given Tesla has crippled my supercharging speed (as many 85 packs have suffered)! Sitting even looooonger to charge isn't appealing.

The consensus seems to be that the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires will be more power-hungry. And that once broken in, will be somewhat less so than when new, but likely still worse than the OEM rubber... which was probably pretty similar to my Pirellis.

Is that a fair assessment? I could accept 5, maybe 10% more energy consumption, but 15 to 20%, like the Super Sports, means I should be looking at something else. Any current thoughts from the people who have been driving on them for a while now?
Here is some data from my car, I've got the Pilot Sport All Season 4. I reset one of the trip meters when I put the new tires on so i can track consumption and mileage for the next tire rotation. My lifetime efficiency used to be around 256-258wh/mi but it's been slowly creeping up. I've also done 1 road trip already on these tires against a strong headwind. That was real fun lol.
IMG_2019.jpeg

Driving around in the suburbs around 80F~:
IMG_2007.jpg

Driving on the freeway on autopilot around 70-75mph without a strong headwind:
IMG_2011.jpeg

Reactions: beeeerock
Not to beat a dead horse, but I had the PSAS4 put on in March this year, only about 700 miles on them and in colder weather, mostly in the 40s and wet roads. I am averaging 317 wh/m, that's at 44 PSI cold. With the MXM4 I averaged 264 wh/m through about 32.5k miles. I can say the tires are much grippier and the car feels more nibble. Will see what the wh/m is when the weather warms up a bit here in the PNW. Hoping to average around 260 wh/m in the warmer months. I was getting 235-242 wh/m with the MXM4 in the warm months here. We'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
So apparently 15 to 20% more energy-hungry. Not fantastic. I sure wish there was more availability of good EV tires. Michelin has one coming, as does Nokian (so I hear), but I have yet to see availability in North America, let alone Canada. I'll keep track of how the PSAS4's do when I get them mounted up and report back once I have some useful data.

Reactions: jrmt23 and gotoma8
Ended up buying the Continental PureContact LS 235/40r19.

Expected a range drop from the Continental ProContact RX installed new. Have not tested the absolute levels of adhesion, but the PureContact LS is quieter on the road and we are getting the same range.

The Michelins were not available.

Reactions: P-Lo801
So apparently 15 to 20% more energy-hungry. Not fantastic. I sure wish there was more availability of good EV tires. Michelin has one coming, as does Nokian (so I hear), but I have yet to see availability in North America, let alone Canada. I'll keep track of how the PSAS4's do when I get them mounted up and report back once I have some useful data.
Yeah, so yesterday took a 120 mile round trip in western WA and well, averaged 330 wh/m. It was about 50 degrees in the morning and about 58 on the way back. PSI is about 45 cold, up to about 47-48 during the trip. Grip on the AS4 are amazing, road noise I think a little louder than stock MXM4, but range hit is not good. I'll report back as the weather warms up.

FWIW, my PSAS4 are 245/40/19, so essentially they are a little wider and larger than the recommended 235/40/19, about 1.2% larger in circumference, so, with about 800 miles on the tires, I am averaging 322 wh/m. Taking into account that if I drive 1 mile per the odometer, I have actually traveled 1.012 miles, so, the 322 wh/m then becomes about 318 wh/m.

Expected a range drop from the Continental ProContact RX installed new. Have not tested the absolute levels of adhesion, but the PureContact LS is quieter on the road and we are getting the same range.

Be interested in your feedback on these. Why didn't you get the DWS06+?

Looked hard at the DWS06+. Think it would make an excellent choice with probably better steering feel and total grip at the cost of some range and longevity. If the M3 was exclusively my car, it is likely I would have picked the DWS06+ for the fun of it.

We only have an SR+ that is realistically a 185 to 190 mi car. (Never got anywhere near 240, or even 220) and were about to depart on a long (~2,000 mile) family road trip. My wife's the primary driver of the M3. Her wish list was to have the car quieter & maintain range; "mission accomplished." Wh/mi have been as good (or better) with the PureContact LS as the OEM ProContact RX.

I have had my PureContact LS for nearly 25k miles when I upgraded from 18s to aftermarket 19” wheels, and they are down to 4/32 tread, with the occasional spirited driving. I absolutely love them. I found them to be just as quiet as the stock 18s with barely a 5% range hit at most.

Reactions: Proflig8tor
I wanted the DWS06+ because on tire rack's testing they actually slightly out performed the Pilot Sport All Season 4, and the DWS06+ is a couple lbs lighter than the Pilot Sport All Season 4.

Unfortunately discount tire didn't have any in stock here but they did have the Michelins. I had the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my GTI prior to the Tesla and they were still great tires.

I wanted the DWS06+ because on tire rack's testing they actually slightly out performed the Pilot Sport All Season 4, and the DWS06+ is a couple lbs lighter than the Pilot Sport All Season 4.

Unfortunately discount tire didn't have any in stock here but they did have the Michelins. I had the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my GTI prior to the Tesla and they were still great tires.
So, did you end up with the AS4s? or still waiting?