Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 miles review: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted the DWS06+ because on tire rack's testing they actually slightly out performed the Pilot Sport All Season 4, and the DWS06+ is a couple lbs lighter than the Pilot Sport All Season 4.

Unfortunately discount tire didn't have any in stock here but they did have the Michelins. I had the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my GTI prior to the Tesla and they were still great tires.
Why do you care that the tires are lighter? It won't actually impact range significantly, however weight *can* be a proxy for hysteresis so it might have lower rolling resistance. Not necessarily though. And the car will accelerate at 1G either way.

Not a hard stop requirement for me, but would've been nice.

Why do you care that the tires are lighter? It won't actually impact range significantly, however weight *can* be a proxy for hysteresis so it might have lower rolling resistance. Not necessarily though. And the car will accelerate at 1G either way.
Well, lighter unsprung weight is usually desirable. I don't know if the difference in tires is enough to matter though. But it did seem to matter enough that performance cars used lighter magnesium wheels in the old days, and independent suspension. But perhaps with heavier EVs, the sprung weight is high enough to make it insignificant.

Well, lighter unsprung weight is usually desirable. I don't know if the difference in tires is enough to matter though. But it did seem to matter enough that performance cars used lighter magnesium wheels in the old days, and independent suspension. But perhaps with heavier EVs, the sprung weight is high enough to make it insignificant.
Less unsprung weigh is good, has always been good, but has perhaps always been a bit over stated in it's importance. If you had a 1,000lbs race car and shaved 10lbs of unsprung weight per wheel then you reap some large suspension efficiency benefits perhaps, but that we car enthusiasts stress about 5lbs per wheel on 4,000lbs daily drivers is a bit crazy.

Also, even if you were trying to shave 0.001 seconds per lap, you would pick the tire that is even a little bit stickier rather than the one that is a a lot lighter.

Well, after putting on around 1,000 km on my 245/40R20 size PS AS4's, I have to say that the energy loss is not very significant relative to the last set. That tire, that my brain was calibrated to previously, was the Pirelli P7 in the same size. I thought the Pirelli P7 was fairly similar to the OEM Michelin in 19" that came with the car. So, given I went to 20" from 19" (which should have been an energy hit in itself), I don't think I'm doing too badly. I don't do enough regular trips to really have a baseline to work from, but a round trip yesterday in 19 degrees Celsius weather with a few areas of rain, resulted in 199 Wh/km. Speed was between 100 and 110 most of the way. That feels about right given the speed. A 90 kmh trip on flat roads was giving me around the rated 171 previously. I'll have to take a drive like that sometime to compare, but I think I'm within 10% or less of the P7s. So far so good.

Reactions: gotoma8
I was going to create a new thread but didn't want too many PSAS4 threads. I am averaging 2500 miles per month and most of it on country back roads and highways. On the highway I typically set cruise at 80 to 85. Largely the same route so its a pretty good gauge on wh/mi.

18" aero wheels w/ OEM MXM4's (ran most of the time without caps)
245 wh/mi average (ran from april to october which is just before average temps drop below 45.)

Winter setup:
aero wheels w/ 245/45 Cooper winter tires
295 wh/mi (ran from october to may)
I ran these way later than i wanted to due to waiting on my wheels. When it was warmer than 55 degrees my average was in the 265 to 275 wh/mi range.

New summer setup:
18x9.5 Gram Lights (20lbs per wheel) w/ 265/40/18 Pilot Sport All Season 4
One caveat is I am on MPP Sport coilovers (set to MPP recommendations) now so I am definitely seeing some aero improvements from being lowered.
260 wh/mi average (only 900 miles so far)
Driven the same commute to work and similar weather conditions to what most of the miles were on the original aero mxm4 setup. Efficiency is way better than I expected and I have not changed my driving style much at all. If anything I am taking corners more aggressively.

I will see how things go with even more miles logged on the PSAS4's but so far its not much of a range hit at all.

I’ve been on the 18” PS4 for around 2000 miles and my only complaint is the efficiency. I’m averaging 280-290 wh/mi during a mild spring in IL. My lifetime 66k mile average is 263 wh/mi which includes cold Chicago winters and I have a dedicated set of X-Ice winter tires that I change out every season. I’m hoping that the efficiency improves as I’m a bit disappointed right now in the PS4.

I was going to create a new thread but didn't want too many PSAS4 threads. I am averaging 2500 miles per month and most of it on country back roads and highways. On the highway I typically set cruise at 80 to 85. Largely the same route so its a pretty good gauge on wh/mi.

18" aero wheels w/ OEM MXM4's (ran most of the time without caps)
245 wh/mi average (ran from april to october which is just before average temps drop below 45.)

Winter setup:
aero wheels w/ 245/45 Cooper winter tires
295 wh/mi (ran from october to may)
I ran these way later than i wanted to due to waiting on my wheels. When it was warmer than 55 degrees my average was in the 265 to 275 wh/mi range.

New summer setup:
18x9.5 Gram Lights (20lbs per wheel) w/ 265/40/18 Pilot Sport All Season 4
One caveat is I am on MPP Sport coilovers (set to MPP recommendations) now so I am definitely seeing some aero improvements from being lowered.
260 wh/mi average (only 900 miles so far)
Driven the same commute to work and similar weather conditions to what most of the miles were on the original aero mxm4 setup. Efficiency is way better than I expected and I have not changed my driving style much at all. If anything I am taking corners more aggressively.

I will see how things go with even more miles logged on the PSAS4's but so far its not much of a range hit at all.
How's the handling on coilovers and better/wider tires?

I am a bit confused with abbreviating tires.
PS4 -MICHELINPILOT SPORT 4S or no S
PSAS4 - PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4
CC2 - MICHELINCROSSCLIMATE2

It seems PSAS4 is a good choice for SoCal, not much efficiency lost, mileage warranty, not too much louder and great grip?
No complaints with them here. I just did a 2,000mi+ road trip on them and had no issues with range. Noise sounds the same or similar to the OEM foam filled tires. The grip on them is insanely good in both the dry and wet.

My data point here, 2019 LR AWD, just back from a 700 mile trip after changing tire from oem mxm4 to pilot sports all season bought from Costco
. Road noise and handling are significantly improved. But at the cost of increased 15% energy consumption. In WA, during summer, I usually get around 245wh/mi, but now I can only get around 282ish

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arthur31 and tm1v2
Here is an update to my efficiency.
wheel/tire setup: 18x9.5 Gram Lights w/ 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot All Season 4's
Suspension: MPP Sport's lowered to recommended settings.

Total efficiency after 2100 miles is 263 wh/mi.

Minimal efficiency hit but a massive improvement in handling and feel. The 18x9.5 with 265 setup is perfect for anyone that has terrible roads like we have in Michigan.

Reactions: 1stquadrant
Update, 7921 miles @ 45psi. Efficiency is 258 wh/mi.
Any regrets re: the Michelin PS AS 4 tires? I just replaced the stock MXM4s at 25k miles and 272 Wh/mi with the Michelin PS AS 4s. Tires have under 100 miles and range is 323 Wh/mi at the moment. I can return them within 30 days and install new MXM4s. Also running at 45 PSI in So. Cal. Have you found the performance, handling etc. to be worth the drop in efficiency? In week one, they drive and feel great. (2020 M3 dual motor)

Any regrets re: the Michelin PS AS 4 tires? I just replaced the stock MXM4s at 25k miles and 272 Wh/mi with the Michelin PS AS 4s. Tires have under 100 miles and range is 323 Wh/mi at the moment. I can return them within 30 days and install new MXM4s. Also running at 45 PSI in So. Cal. Have you found the performance, handling etc. to be worth the drop in efficiency? In week one, they drive and feel great. (2020 M3 dual motor)
At 100 miles the tires will still be sticky, which lowers efficiency.

I have 26218 miles @ 45 PSI. Efficiency is 259 wh/mi. Its absolutely worth it to me, I hated how the MXM4 feels compared to these especially when making turns.
Yes and to amplify your point if you're on the MXM4 running at 45 PSI to squeeze every last drop of range, just hope you don't have to make a panic stop. That tire is greasy to begin with and at 45 PSI maximum deceleration is very poor - whatever you saved on electrons won't cover your deductible. Obviously most Technologies are trade-offs but I believe that the PS4 all season has the best balance of virtues in the industry. It may not be an efficiency champ but it sure is good to great at almost everything else