TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2000 Acceleration Boost for Model Y?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Driving Dynamics' started by JRod0802, Jan 30, 2020.

1. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

Last month the Model 3 AWD Long Range model received an update allowing owners to pay $2000 to increase its performance 0-60 from 4.4 seconds down to 3.9 seconds.

Has anyone heard any word on a similar option being there for the Model Y? Maybe improving the AWD Long Range from 4.8 seconds to maybe 4.4 or 4.3? I'm very interested in this, but I haven't heard much talk about it...

2. Mayonayze

Mayonayze Member

Popcorn

• Funny x 1
  3. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

To soon to tell.

4. Reborn

Reborn Member

I’m hoping for the same

• Like x 1
  5. Xebec

Xebec Member

I'm guessing in another week or so we'll have a lot more information. Maybe something about the boost.. towing.. etc

• Like x 1
  6. Aarons12

Aarons12 Enjoying my Pearl White LR AWD with inductions

that didn't come out for the 3 until a couple of years after it was released. i don't think it will be as long for the y, but now is way too soon IMHO. after all pre-orders, 3rd row orders, white interior orders, etc will be when they start thinking about how to suck more money out of us.

• Like x 1
  7. ElectricIAC

Im not holding my breath there. Once we see what motors power the AWD vs P variant in the Y we could very well see an added premium to boost just because it’s the Y. (3-4K)

• Disagree x 1
  8. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Active Member

not sure about that, the y isn’t premium compared to the three, it’s just different.

9. ElectricIAC

Tell that to my bank account. :eek:

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. AhwatukeeDad

AhwatukeeDad Member

Yes but they raised the price to 8000 and lowered the 0-60 tp 3.5! I am getting that one!

11. moswissa

moswissa Member

So you guys are telling me that I paid 8k for a performance MY and ina few years the LR will have an update to make it about as fast? wow lol

12. AhwatukeeDad

AhwatukeeDad Member

No. You paid 8k for the fastest Model Y. It will always be the fastest. You could have paid 8k less and got one that is slower...

13. moswissa

moswissa Member

Does Tesla release upgrades for the performance to make it faster?

14. Siryozha

Siryozha Member

The performance has different hardware, generally larger motor in the rear and a different fuse system to allow for higher current from the battery pack. The LR won't have the same capabilities with the same level of efficiencies, which is what you pay for now. Through more efficient software and clever engineering to do more with what is already installed, both the LR and P can get better.

15. Kuro Houou

Kuro Houou Member

I believe they did this for the Model 3 Performance Model as well. That said, the Model Y is almost the same as a Model 3, the chance of further improving performance is probably less now. Honestly, 3.5 seconds is good enough for me! People are even seeing 3.3-3.4 seconds in real world tests.

16. ElectricIAC

Yes: with wheels that don’t weigh 65lbs altogether.

• Disagree x 1
  17. Y&CYT

Y&CYT Member

It's inevitable. I probably will buy it.

18. Y&CYT

Y&CYT Member

You paid $8K for better brakes, better and bigger wheels and tires, lowered suspension and a few trim pieces as well as faster. I think the LR can be made as fast by Tesla but for many reasons, I'm sure they would never make the LR as fast as your Performance.

I wanted the Performance and wife wanted the LR...we are buying the LR. I will probably opt for the $2K upgrade to lower the 0-60 time by about a half second when it's offered on the Y LR. I also think your Performance will get faster over time.

19. moswissa

moswissa Member

Yeah, im sure there are software upgrades to make it faster. Some guy on youtube managed to get 3.3 sec

20. Y&CYT

Y&CYT Member

And he apparently did nothing to it. I saw another guy that put smaller tires on his and it ran a 3.2 seconds