Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2000 Acceleration Boost for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month the Model 3 AWD Long Range model received an update allowing owners to pay $2000 to increase its performance 0-60 from 4.4 seconds down to 3.9 seconds.

Has anyone heard any word on a similar option being there for the Model Y? Maybe improving the AWD Long Range from 4.8 seconds to maybe 4.4 or 4.3? I'm very interested in this, but I haven't heard much talk about it...

Last month the Model 3 AWD Long Range model received an update allowing owners to pay $2000 to increase its performance 0-60 from 4.4 seconds down to 3.9 seconds.

Has anyone heard any word on a similar option being there for the Model Y? Maybe improving the AWD Long Range from 4.8 seconds to maybe 4.4 or 4.3? I'm very interested in this, but I haven't heard much talk about it...
I’m hoping for the same

Reactions: lnsh
that didn't come out for the 3 until a couple of years after it was released. i don't think it will be as long for the y, but now is way too soon IMHO. after all pre-orders, 3rd row orders, white interior orders, etc will be when they start thinking about how to suck more money out of us.

Reactions: EK028
So you guys are telling me that I paid 8k for a performance MY and ina few years the LR will have an update to make it about as fast? wow lol

The performance has different hardware, generally larger motor in the rear and a different fuse system to allow for higher current from the battery pack. The LR won't have the same capabilities with the same level of efficiencies, which is what you pay for now. Through more efficient software and clever engineering to do more with what is already installed, both the LR and P can get better.

Does Tesla release upgrades for the performance to make it faster?

I believe they did this for the Model 3 Performance Model as well. That said, the Model Y is almost the same as a Model 3, the chance of further improving performance is probably less now. Honestly, 3.5 seconds is good enough for me! People are even seeing 3.3-3.4 seconds in real world tests.

I believe they did this for the Model 3 Performance Model as well. That said, the Model Y is almost the same as a Model 3, the chance of further improving performance is probably less now. Honestly, 3.5 seconds is good enough for me! People are even seeing 3.3-3.4 seconds in real world tests.
Yes: with wheels that don’t weigh 65lbs altogether.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

It's inevitable. I probably will buy it.

So you guys are telling me that I paid 8k for a performance MY and ina few years the LR will have an update to make it about as fast? wow lol

You paid $8K for better brakes, better and bigger wheels and tires, lowered suspension and a few trim pieces as well as faster. I think the LR can be made as fast by Tesla but for many reasons, I'm sure they would never make the LR as fast as your Performance.

I wanted the Performance and wife wanted the LR...we are buying the LR. I will probably opt for the $2K upgrade to lower the 0-60 time by about a half second when it's offered on the Y LR. I also think your Performance will get faster over time.

You paid $8K for better brakes, better and bigger wheels and tires, lowered suspension and a few trim pieces as well as faster. I think the LR can be made as fast by Tesla but for many reasons, I'm sure they would never make the LR as fast as your Performance.

I wanted the Performance and wife wanted the LR...we are buying the LR. I will probably opt for the $2K upgrade to lower the 0-60 time by about a half second when it's offered on the Y LR. I also think your Performance will get faster over time.

Yeah, im sure there are software upgrades to make it faster. Some guy on youtube managed to get 3.3 sec