TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2000 Acceleration Boost for Model Y?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Driving Dynamics' started by JRod0802, Jan 30, 2020.

1. john5520

john5520 Member

That's good news. Now we need to see some test results!

2. NJEV-Don

NJEV-Don Member

is PGS a real thing? Or am I missing something. I’m bummed that I most likely won’t be getting matched until after 9/30 so I won’t be able to get EAP which expires then. Not sure if Performance Boost will still be available either. I guess they might do similar at the end of Q4.

3. BreatheEasier

BreatheEasier Member

Hard to get a solid answer searching M3 owners...does the acceleration boost lower the MY range?

• Disagree x 1
  4. jeffbco

jeffbco Member

If you drive like an old lady probably not...drive like a performance car probably yes.

• Like x 1
  5. MY-Y

MY-Y Member

Only if it affects how you drive.

• Like x 1
  6. Y_tho

Y_tho Member

Can't answer definitively but... a few months back, there was the ability to order an MY with 19" (Gemini) and 20" (Induction) wheels. While I can't recall 100%, I think the listed range for the Performance MY without Überturbines was 315 (vs 316 for LR).

Based on this, I'm guessing that LR range won't drop noticeably with the new acceleration boost option.

7. zecar

zecar Member

Crap, now Tesla will be thinking about charging for PGS. Then VGS for $8K.

8. dale_cooper

dale_cooper Member

Range is not affected. Just like if you buy a model y performance, and put 19" gemini wheels on it, your wh/mi (range) is going to be like a LR dual motor, assuming you drive them the same. Weight of wheels/tire compound is what affects the range of the performance Y.

9. srlawren

srlawren Member

10. Blue Skye

Blue Skye Member

I wonder how much HP this adds. To shave .5 seconds off an ICE car you'd probably need to add about 100 HP.

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

On the Model 3 the boost added 50 HP.

12. phoha21

phoha21 Member

And with a double click w/ Apple Pay, Acceleration Boost has been purchased!

I was very curious about this when I first heard about it, can’t wait to try it out and see if I notice the difference...

Also my daughter loves the instant torque off the MY, or as she calls it “BLAST OFF!” Hopefully, this boost adds a bit more!

• Like x 3
  13. CaliX

CaliX Member

So I bought the Performance Boost and I just took my Y out for a drive. It's faster than my MX 100D. IMO it feels faster than 4.3. Maybe like 3.8. OMG... it threw me back in my seat. Sadly I am going to request a refund too much power for me especially since I got a $500 speeding ticket in my X which I turned it down to chill.

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  14. TomServo

TomServo Active Member

During my initial test drive I was a little miffed at the “grunt” off the line, it was faster but not OMG faster then I noticed my SOC was at 15%, Went home and and pumped it up to 75% and went for another drive, I found the OMG factor, that changed everything. A buddy with a PMY has a DRAGY so we are going to do some “testing”. Unfortunately I can’t do a before, but if the 3 results is any indication I hope to get the advertised 4.3 or better. Tesla seems to “sandbag” their performance specs.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  15. dale_cooper

dale_cooper Member

You are the chosen one to give us all this great data! 0-60 with draggy (with rollout). 0-60 vs performance Y. And then it'd be interesting to see the 30-70 vs performance y.

And yes, same feedback with the boost for the 3. State of charge is quite critical to feeling the full grunt.

Can't wait to hear more from you.

16. ModalYYJ

ModalYYJ Member

any reviews? Love the apple pay in-app purchase!! Lol

17. ModalYYJ

ModalYYJ Member

Let us know more about this upgrade! gonna ask the wife if we can pull the trigger or not...or just do it secretly :p

18. zecar

zecar Member

My emotions went from high to low in only three sentences

19. Croathlete

Croathlete Member

So, 4.0 sec with a 1 foot rollout? :D

20. Sebat4

Sebat4 Member

I'm at the edge to pull the trigger and get the upgrade, but at the same time I'm tired of getting tickets and I try to drive MY on chill mode most of the time... Someone convince me why should I get it! Push me over the edge!

• Disagree x 1