TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$2000 Acceleration Boost for Model Y?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Driving Dynamics' started by JRod0802, Jan 30, 2020.

1. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Because you are getting close enough to the perf model for $2000 vs $10000

• Like x 1
  2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

You worked hard. You deserve it!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

Maybe stop speeding where the law is?

4. zecar

zecar Member

I thought it was obvious that most of us are running moonshine.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. rossini

rossini Member

We are all anxiously awaiting the dragy results! I'm likely pulling the trigger on it but just want to see the bottom line on 0-60 new time. If it turns out this is closer to 3/4 of a second faster or more (very likely) then it is an absolute no-brainer.

• Funny x 1
  6. Croathlete

Croathlete Member

So I'm sure the results will mirror the Model 3. The Model Y performance is 3.5s with rollout and the AWD is 4.8s with no rollout to make the gap seem wider. The AWD is probably closer to 4.6s with rollout and will end up being at 4.1s, only 0.6s slower than the performance.

• Like x 1
  7. G Gavin G

G Gavin G Member

Just did it! There was no way I was going to make it through more than a few days staring at that upgrade option! Haven’t timed it but it’s a noticeable difference! Also the update was installed pretty instantaneously.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. Jimt29

Jimt29 2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD, MSM/Black

What you said

• Like x 1
  9. rossini

rossini Member

sorry for being ignorant but what is “rollout”

10. Croathlete

Croathlete Member

Every American car manufacturer quotes their 0-60 times after the car has moved 1 foot. Tesla is a little deceiving as the Performance models are quoted at their 1 foot rollout times and all the other trims at their real 0-60, making the delta seem greater. If you look at the images that come out of Dragy, it shows both the real 0-60 and with the 1 foot rollout.

• Informative x 1
  11. phoha21

phoha21 Member

Haven’t tested it out yet, just got my roof replaced and don’t wanna leave my garage until I’ve looked over every square inch of my driveway for nails

Others have said there is a “noticeable” difference in the acceleration. Will definitely post my thoughts once I take out my MY!

12. rossini

rossini Member

Got it, thank you for explaining that. Odd the app doesn't have an algorithm to simply adjust for that and normalize the "blended" results. It would be nice to have both of those measurements along with a third that adjusts accordingly.

13. SouthBayGuy

SouthBayGuy Member

I have always been a little disappointed with the off the line performance of my LR Model Y. It felt like the car held back a little on the instant torque inherent in electric motors. I had always suspected this was limited by software. After I purchased the Acceleration Boost, the difference was very noticeable. The car throws your head back when you step on it. So was it worth the $2,000? To me it was. I don't usually drive aggressively. But it is fun to floor it once in a while. I also have Tesla stock. So in a way, I am doing my part to boost the stock price.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. phoha21

phoha21 Member

So tried it for the first with the fam in the car....definitely can notice the boost!! Worth every penny!

• Funny x 1
  15. pt19713

pt19713 Member

12.26 @ 113 mph
    0-60 3.9s with the 1 ft rollout

19" Gemini with the Continental ProContact RX

SoC 68%. I'll try more runs at another time with a higher SoC

Attached Files:

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 4
    • Funny x 1
  16. rossini

rossini Member

Thank you for posting this! Very good numbers! I'm curious if you ran the same test before the upgrade? I'm curious what the numbers came out to at delivery vs. what the Tesla published numbers were. Thanks again for doing this and looking forward to more data.

17. MY-Y

MY-Y Member

Thanks for posting! Both the 0-60 and 1/4 mile graphs show the run was downhill. If you could make two runs in opposite directions, or find a flat stretch of road, that'd be even more informative.

• Like x 2
  18. pt19713

pt19713 Member

Not really possible on my area without taking too much risk with traffic. The difference is within 1% and is considered valid by most standards. The graph looks skewed because of the elevation increase the last 1/2 mile where I was slowing down. The acceleration area was within 20 feet, quite minimal.

19. MY-Y

MY-Y Member

68% SoC vs 90% SoC may be a bigger difference than the elevation. These numbers are very encouraging. Thanks again.

20. pt19713

pt19713 Member

Here's the first run I did. I let off the throttle just a tad early, which is why the mph is low. If you compare the 1000 ft times, they're just about the same.

Attached Files: